Dana J, You are obviously an ObamaITE, if you think for a millisecond that Obamacare, More accurately called ObamaNightmarecare is going to be less expensive or in any way improve the quality or availability of health care in the USA then you are ignorant enough to vote for him and his party. Wait until you see what this does!!!!!!! And watch to see the Mass Migration to places like CR...

This statement rings true, especially the Mass Migration part. Unaffordable healthcare or lack of access to it is the impetus forcing people to abandon their homelands for CR.

Right now, today, very few Americans can afford healthcare in the US, even if they HAVE insurance. Case in point: someone I know paid 15,000 USD out of pocket last year (and almost 13K the year before) for medical-related costs, and she has Anthem through her job. This is not unusual, as it turns out.

The theme all along, but most clearly so in the last decade is this: higher cost (for insurance/healthcare), less coverage, therefore, more burden on people's already-overstrained pockets. This latest governmental boondoggle will have us all living out of our cars and eating out of the trashbins around town.

Tell me, Readers: Isn't it true that CR has already moved to keep a lot of expats out (regardless of origin) because healthcare in most other countries is either lousy or unaffordable (or both), and because of it, people from all over ARE migrating to CR is ever-increasing numbers?

Isn't this the subject of the latest immigration policy about to be revealed?

Please someone tell me....I'm getting my SS pension at the end of this year, and I will qualify for CR "pensionado" - just barely.

Thanks,

Lale

Thanks Dana, I hope that is the case. I will be curious to see what you find out. You mention a idea of offering medicare with the private ins option and that makes sense. Problem with that is that insurance companies dont make out like bandits and the govt cant implement a forced tax across the board. Lots of money going on with this one. Again it is not about what is right or what the people want. It is about money and power as usual.

NYT article a few days ago confirms expats will not have to carry health insurance under this so called health care reform bill. The specifics of how long etc were not addressed however, but I feel certain there is an exclusion for those living outside the US.

My two cents is health care costs are out of control and this bill doesnt do everything it could to control them. US health care for drugs or a procedure seem to run about 3 times the CR cost. Health insurance, which seems to be Obama's focus on selling this, are about 5% of the total cost of healthcare costs in the US. So eliminate it totally and we are still about 3 times more expensive than CR. Also US runs roughly twice as expensive as other developed countries as a % of GDP. All this cost adds up to a non competitive cost of living and jobs now wont be competitive without a dramatic addressing of the fundamentals behind this high cost of health care. I do not have all the answers but would prefer a more enlightened accurate fact based discussion by both sides before this bill is change I can believe in.

Cost of living is the huge issue in the US. I never hear a politician address that issue. We demonize companies for sending jobs overseas without discussing why our cost of living is so high. Politicians agendas do not address reducing it...more likely policies increase is such as cap and trade etc.

CR living and cost make sense to me, although home prices are as high as they are in the Texas in my experience. But I digress.

Here is the wordin gform teh bill--looks liek expats are exempt

(3) INDIVIDUALS RESIDING OUTSIDE UNITED STATES- Any qualified individual (as defined in section 911(d)) (and any qualifying child residing with such individual) shall be treated for purposes of this section as covered by acceptable coverage during the period described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of section 911(d)(1), whichever is applicable.

Tell me, Readers: Isn't it true that CR has already moved to keep a lot of expats out (regardless of origin) because healthcare in most other countries is either lousy or unaffordable (or both), and because of it, people from all over ARE migrating to CR is ever-increasing numbers?

This is a compound question. The answer to the first part is no and to the second is yes.

I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that CR is seeking to bar expats (from any country) who show up in whole or in part to avail themselves of the CR health care system. CR policy seems still to be that health care is a human right (at least if you're willing to wait in long lines), and not an eyebrow has been officially raised about sickos showing up in CR for the health care. However, to the second part, people ARE migrating to CR for the health care. TicoGrande has horror stories about the ill North Americans who show up here for this reason, and I will confess that access to health care was not inconsequential in my decision to immigrate. I certainly rejected countries (like Mexico) where I couldn't get it. More to the point though may be the 200,000 to 1,000,000 Nicaraguans who immigrate to CR. Scant few come FOR the health care--the vast majority come for jobs--but thousands do have babies here, free, and then almost automatically become permanent residents. CR policymakers have to know this, even as they know they treat Nicaraguans with all sorts of illnesses free, and you have to stand back and salute CR for doing this. There is a lot of unfair prejudice against Nicaraguans in CR, but CR does deliver Nicaraguan babies and otherwise provide health care to them for free, which is frankly a wonderfully humanitarian thing for a not-wealthy country to do. Anyway, yes, some Nicaraguans show up for the health care, and CR taxpayers quietly pay for it. This drains the system and forces us all to wait in longer lines, but it is a remarkably humanitarian thing to do.

Here is the wordin gform teh bill--looks liek expats are exempt

(3) INDIVIDUALS RESIDING OUTSIDE UNITED STATES- Any qualified individual (as defined in section 911(d)) (and any qualifying child residing with such individual) shall be treated for purposes of this section as covered by acceptable coverage during the period described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of section 911(d)(1), whichever is applicable.

Now just what does sub-paragraph (A) or (B) of sect. 911(d)(1) say? I guess I'll just have to go look it up.

ripple33: I have written my US Representative, and I only received an auto-reply back. But, in talking with some friends & family that work in the health-care industry, they think that expats will NOT have to purchase long-term insurance while they are living outside the US. When they return to the US to visit, they will have to purchase short-term 'trip' insurance, such as from einsurance.com.

The only thing that is not for sure is for those expats that only live outside the US for part of the year. So if you live in the US for 6 month, and in CR for the other 6 months, you MAY be required to purchase some kind of US insurance.

But, like the new CR immigration law, the regs have not been drafted or published yet. So we will just have to wait & see, ok?

And Newman, great response. Like I said, I don't like this bill either, BUT, hopefully at some point, it can be changed for the better. I still don't see why we all just couldn't be offered Medicare (US CAJA), with private ins on the side for those who want to opt out. But that would deprive the health (dont)care execs of thier annual bonus, wouldnt it.

Dana

The whole healthcare law is unconstitutional....It needs to be dropped...

"The whole healthcare law is unconstitutional....It needs to be dropped... "-badboy

And this WILL be taken to the courts, and eventually all the way up to the Supreme Court, and at that point the Constitutionality will be decided.

But I don't have much hope, since they recently decided that a corporation is actually more of a person than you or I am, with more rights and protections.

Just sayin' DJ

The correct name for the legislation is: H. R. 3962 - To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes act. SHORT TITLE.— This Act may be cited as the 6 ‘‘Affordable Health Care for America Act’’.Not "Obamacare".

By any name it stinks. Those who contribute the least will benefit the most.

"The whole healthcare law is unconstitutional....It needs to be dropped... "-badboy

And this WILL be taken to the courts, and eventually all the way up to the Supreme Court, and at that point the Constitutionality will be decided.

But I don't have much hope, since they recently decided that a corporation is actually more of a person than you or I am, with more rights and protections.

Just sayin' DJ

If this health care bill stands,constitutionally, any company that wants to put another company out of business could lobby Congress to pass a law to require every citizen to buy a certain dollar amount of their product every year, thereby putting their competition out of business - On this, IMHO this bill shall be found unconstitutional!

Right now, today, very few Americans can afford healthcare in the US, even if they HAVE insurance.

Wow, where did you get that statistic? Americans have their priorities skewed. They have their flat screen TVs, top of the line cable or satellite service, high speed internet, Ipads, SUVs, vacations and cruises, dinners out, etc...etc...etc. What little cash is left over goes for health care and retirement planning, maybe.

If this health care bill stands,constitutionally, any company that wants to put another company out of business could lobby Congress to pass a law to require every citizen to buy a certain dollar amount of their product every year, thereby putting their competition out of business - On this, IMHO this bill shall be found unconstitutional!

Just idle musings, but I'm wondering what clause in the constitution will be used to make this argument. It does sound weird, when you compare to like a policy that amounts to requiring every citizen to spend a minimum of say $100 a month at a fast food joint, but even if THAT policy were passed I'm confused about which article or clause in the constitution would prohibit it. I mean, last I looked there was nothing in the constitution that forbids a draft--that is, calling your reluctant ass up and sending you to the front lines--so I can't figure out how taking a lesser thing, namely your money, would be unconstitutional. I'm just interested in the legal reasoning here.

My two cents is that IF there is a constitutional basis to make this kind of argument, the feds have covered their asses by allowing people to opt out and pay a tax. Yeah, yeah, you can argue that taxes are illegal too--but that argument has had a tendency not to win. The law doesn't actually require a person to buy health insurance, just encourages them to buy it or pay a tax instead. Since we're already paying Medicare and Medicaid taxes, plus the government already has laws requiring public hospitals to treat all comers, I'm hard-pressed to see how a tax with an option not to pay it will be unconstitutional. The legal reasoning eludes me.