Sign in to follow this  

I attended the ARCR Seminar this past Thursday when the question came up and Ryan told the group that the law says now that only Permanent Residents (their cédula says 'Sin Condiciones' on it) may get a gun permit. You must be a Residente Permanente (not a Pensionado: not a Rentista) to get a gun permit in CR.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Speaking of guns... I'd like to know if Sig Sauers are available in CR. I own a P226, but would just as soon leave it up here,

and purchase one down there, to avoid the hassle of importing it into CR.

Thanks,

Evans.-

Speaking of guns... I'd like to know if Sig Sauers are available in CR. I own a P226, but would just as soon leave it up here,

and purchase one down there, to avoid the hassle of importing it into CR.

Thanks,

Evans.-

Yes, I saw a 226 and a 229 the other day in the Multiplaza although I hear there are better places to purchase your firearms.

Hello , this is my first post.

I am considering moving to Costa Rica. I was searching for information on firearms ownership laws when I came across this forum. Aside from concealed carry laws , how are firearms ownership laws ,in general ,in CR? What are the restrictions? I rea in this thread that "Weapons of War" are illegal ,and I assume that would pertains full-auto firearms. What about semi-automatic long guns? Are there restrictions on capacity , and calibers? Also, is there a restriction on the number of licensed firearms you can own at one time?

Thank you in advance, this seems to be a very informative discussion forum. I'm going to look around it for a bit.

Cajun1 you should search previous forum posts as there is a lot of information regarding the new rules regarding weapons.

In short, unless one has Permanent residency in Costa Rica, which will take approx 5 years, or marry a Costa Rican citizen which will make for a shorter wait, one cannot now purchase any firearms.

I cannot provide answers to your other questions, sorry.

First you don't need permanent residency to buy or carry just a form of permanent residency IE: rentista. I don't know what the new S.A. laws are. Long guns semi-autos are allowed on a case by case bases, there is a 45 cal. limit, and all are to have a 10 per clip max, there are many long guns here that are bastards with no rounds for sale. It is not what you can buy or import but what you can buy shells for and no you may not import shells. Yes there is a 3 arms limit per person. I know one shooting range that has an AK and an AR for use, don't ask me how.

Edited by sabo941

First you don't need permanent residency to buy or carry just a form of permanent residency IE: rentista....

The problem is "rentista" residency is a temporary type of residency, not a permanent type. After 3 years as rentista (or pensionado, also a temporary type of residency), you can apply to become a permanent resident.

And I have a carry permit that I just renewed before I got my permanent residency card. The carry permits are only good for 2 years. The departamento control de armas y explosivos look at folks with work permits and the like as temps.

Edited by sabo941

Hi Sabo, That is great that you got your permit before the new law took effect. I believe the dat for the new law was back in December or January. After some cops got killed in San Jose by some Jamacian drug dealers with illegal guns. So now the new law NO guns or permits without being legal Perment Resident. Ron USCG Ret

I will ask next week about the new law. The minster lives down the street. As far as ARCR, both they and TG have always been on the [you must have your permanent] kick, long before January I would not just trust what they say. ARCR and TG have been right about other things, this has been the only thing I have found wrong info on in the past both on this sight and TG very good sight as well.

Edited by sabo941

Sabo941,

You are most likely grandfathered in. This new law has been verified and is indeed accurate as described above.

Congrats to you.

Woe is me and the rest of us not yet permanent residents...

On another front, it appears there is a plan for fighting crime from the UN that would have all guns banned from citizens period. People can say and think what they like on gun control, but all this does is keep the bad guys armed and the good guys defenseless. :unsure:

Tim

I was wrong and for my trouble I get to get a new carry permit as they should not have given me one when they did this last may.

What happened?