Sign in to follow this  

I have permanent residency in Costa Rica, I own a tour company and have to take money to the bank.

I would like to get a carry permit for a gun, I have heard conflicting versions ( What a surprise) of If

I can or cannot get a carry permit, does anyone know if the rules have changed after there was a shootout with police

in San Jose with some illegals carrying guns.

This is the latest news I have heard. Additionally, another member of these forums confirmed that this permit can still be obtained by following proper procedure.

12/9/2009

UPDATE: The Costa Rica security ministry has finished its firearms review and pulled the permits of 26 foreigners so that they are no longer able to legally carry guns.

The minister also established additional rules for foreigners who seek these carry permits.

No U.S., Canadian or British citizens were among those foreigners who lost their permits. There were 11 Nicaraguans, eight Colombians, two Cubans and one each from Italy, China, Chile, Switzerland and the Dominican Republic, the minster said.

The minister Janina del Vecchio, said that these individuals were involved in judicial proceedings involving allegations of rape, fraud, robbery, use of fake documents, drug violations, carrying a prohibited weapon and aggravated robbery with intent to kill.

The ministry reviewed the permits of some 2,074 cases over the last two weeks after two shootouts involving Jamaicans.

There was no indication that the ministry was going to review weapons permits held by Costa Ricans. The announcement suggested that there is no procedure in place to suspend weapons permits for persons who are arrested.

The minister also decreed additional rules for those who seek to obtain firearms permits. Applicants will have to provide police reports from countries in which they have lived previously and supply fingerprints for a worldwide check by the International Police Agency [iNTERPOL].

Since permits to carry weapons are only allowed for foreigners who hold residency here, the procedure would seem to duplicate the police checks and fingerprinting that already are required of all residency applicants by the Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería.

Applicants also will have to provide a sworn statement listing the countries in which they have lived during the last 10 years.

These rules also would cover foreigners who seek to renew permits to carry weapons as well as new applicants.

Because of the fragmented nature of local government in the United States, some residency applicants who may have a criminal record can provide a clean police report from another jurisdiction. There is no central registry for most crimes. Immigration workers seldom if ever double check the submitted paperwork. Holders of tourism visas cannot obtain weapons permits.

There is a class of individuals who obtain residency here by marriage or by becoming the parent of a Costa Rican. Some of these individuals may not have been subjected to a review of their police history or supplied fingerprints.

Applicants for weapons permits also have to obtain approval from a psychiatrist after a short interview.

The minister's review of weapons permits was unexpected when it was announced because most criminals do not have permits and frequently carry heavy weapons that are not permitted by legal permit holders. Such weapons could be AK-47 rifles and automatic weapons.

From what I have heard, if you are a legal resident, you may again apply for a carry permit. You will be required to take a proficiency exam AND undergo a psychiatric exam (is Spanish).

The other route is that a corporation can own a gun, BUT it may never leave the business premises (no carry).

Unsolicited advice!

Nearly every robbery of a businessperson carrying cash involves 2 or more people robbing him and they already have their guns out and ready. I suspect most robbers got tipped off from employees of the company as to when the boss will be heading to the bank.

If it were me, and I had a significant deposit to make, I'd use any of the many armored truck services that come to your business and pick up the money. I see them everywhere but I do not know the details. Your bank might also have suggestions.... but being out in the street with big $$$ is not a real good idea.

TG

Unsolicited advice!

Nearly every robbery of a businessperson carrying cash involves 2 or more people robbing him and they already have their guns out and ready. I suspect most robbers got tipped off from employees of the company as to when the boss will be heading to the bank.

If it were me, and I had a significant deposit to make, I'd use any of the many armored truck services that come to your business and pick up the money. I see them everywhere but I do not know the details. Your bank might also have suggestions.... but being out in the street with big $$$ is not a real good idea.

TG

This is very good advice. Additionally, there was a robbery just the other week in which a man left the bank with a large sum of money and was subsequently robbed and shot. I suspect not all bank employees may be on the up and up either so leaving the bank with large sums might be dangerous as well.

BTW - I would do this in the states as well. I live in a very safe US city but just last month the bank not more than 100 yards from my house was robbed at gun point in broad daylight. And they got away! :huh:

The shrink spoke english very well. As for the day of the test about 5 of 50 were in the english room; the test was in english and the head pavas cop, a very well spocken young lady and the boss as far as I could tell ran our class and the others ran the Nica guards I belive doing the same test. when it came to shotting all 5 of us past when there where a few Nicas that could not hit a 6M target once. You need 6 or 7 of 10. WoW.

Besides the concealed carry law can a Pensionado resident own firearms and keep them in their home? Can they have them shipped in with their household goods? Can they carry them in their cars without a permit? thanks for any enlightenment on this subject.................Ray

Besides the concealed carry law can a Pensionado resident own firearms and keep them in their home? Can they have them shipped in with their household goods? Can they carry them in their cars without a permit? thanks for any enlightenment on this subject.................Ray

I attended the ARCR Seminar this past Thursday when the question came up and Ryan told the group that the law says now that only Permanent Residents (their cédula says 'Sin Condiciones' on it) may get a gun permit. You must be a Residente Permanente (not a Pensionado: not a Rentista) to get a gun permit in CR.

HTH

Paul M.

==

I attended the ARCR Seminar this past Thursday when the question came up and Ryan told the group that the law says now that only Permanent Residents (their cédula says 'Sin Condiciones' on it) may get a gun permit. You must be a Residente Permanente (not a Pensionado: not a Rentista) to get a gun permit in CR.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Paul

---To those Expats that do not follow the letter-of-the-Costa Rican law in this matter MAY find themselves using a one-way-ticket to no-where which the Costa Rican Migracion PROBABLY will be most happy to purchase with their DOLLARS!

The Costa Rican Law regarding this matter states and I quote: "If you are caught traveling with a weapon WITHOUT the appropiate permit and registration, your weapon will be confiscated and you will be fined, arrested OR DEPORTED".

Rick

Edited by tibas9

I (their cédula says 'Sin Condiciones' on it) may get a gun permit. HTH

Paul M.

==

--Paul, my permanent resident cedula which was renewed last year has the wording "LIBRE CONDICION" on it.

Rick

Edited by tibas9

HTH

Paul M.

==

Thanks for the info Paul, I found the following on the CR Embassy site in Washington DC:

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITIONS

The admission of firearms and ammunition into the territory of Costa Rica is subject to restrictions and import permits approved by Costa Rican authorities.

Applications to import non-military weapons into the country may be filed by or through a licensed importer, authorized dealer, or a particular person. The Congress of Costa Rica strongly restricts the import of any war weapons into the country; therefore any war weapon in hands of a non-authorized individual is ILEGAL.

Permits to carry personal weapons in Costa Rica are issued by the Ministry of Public Security (Ministerio de Seguridad Pública).

The process to issue these permits will take up to two (2) months, given that all the requested documentation is presented.

The Embassy and the Government of Costa Rica strongly discourage people from traveling with their personal weapons.

However, if you want to bring a handgun, revolver, or pistol you must follow the required procedure:

1. Inform the airline that you are traveling with a weapon.
  2. Once you arrive in Costa Rica, your weapon will remain at the Customs Office until you register the weapon at the Ministry of Public Security (Ministerio de Seguridad Pública.) at the Department of Firearms and Ammunitions. There, you must provide the following documents:

1. Official Registration of the firearm with the corresponding authorities of your State of residence (Secretary of State and or Police Department). This document must be duly certified by the Costa Rican Consulate. Please follow the
    procedure.
  2. Police record from the Police precinct where you have legally resided for the last six (6) months. This document must not be older than six (6) months, and must be duly certified by the Costa Rican Consulate. Please follow the
    procedure.
  3. Weapon Entrance Proof of Receipt issued by the Customs/Airport authorities in Costa Rica.
  4. Take a psychological test in Costa Rica to evaluate your personality traits.

1. Once you obtain the required permits, take them to the Customs Office and your weapon will be released.
    If you are caught traveling with a weapon without the appropriate permits and registrations in Costa Rica, your weapon will be confiscated and you will be fined, arrested or deported.

...................................Ray

Edited by roadrunnerray

Ray, I think this is old information!

You must have permanent residency status to get a permit. Not just for a license to carry. It used to be you could get one through a S.A, but not anymore, unless there is someone who has this status or is a Costa Rican citizen in your corporation.