hotel/resturant for valentines day

A group of 6 of us, went there 10 days ago, and got really 'ripped off'. It started of with our waiter immediately, after being seated filling our water glasses with bottled water and continued from there.

oh, wow, never mind that suggestion. they were fine in 2007 - guess stuff changes.

thanks for the update.

but if you are ever up near Tilaran, you can stop by my place, 5 Corners Grill. I promise we won't rip you off.

cindy

We visited a restaurant, approx. 20-25 mins outside Alajuela, on the road to the Poas volcanco that had one of the best city views of the lights of the surrounding areas. The entrance is set right beside the road, but the restaurant is higher up, to get the best possible view. Can't remember the name though :unsure: but very romantic setting, with a great meal. I think there was a hotel alongside of it.

We recommended it to some friends, who actually went up there after their wedding festivities to set the mood....

We visited a restaurant, approx. 20-25 mins outside Alajuela, on the road to the Poas volcanco that had one of the best city views of the lights of the surrounding areas. The entrance is set right beside the road, but the restaurant is higher up, to get the best possible view. Can't remember the name though :unsure: but very romantic setting, with a great meal. I think there was a hotel alongside of it.

We recommended it to some friends, who actually went up there after their wedding festivities to set the mood....

There are two places up there that I've been to, Patricia.

One is El Mirador which opens right around dusk and has a wonderful view of the valley lights coming on itf you get there in time to watch it. Otherwise after dark the Valley is laid out like a myriad of jewels on black velvet. The menu is moderate to expensive and there are a couple amazing seafood platters (fuente de mariscos) a couple nice steak offereings, some pork, the usual chicken dishes and fish. I never had anything I did not like there and my favorite is the fuente de mariscos. BTW, one person cannot eat all of the larger of the two seafood platters. They will send a complimentary minivan to pick you up from your hotel in Alajuela. Definitely romantic views.

http://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica/the-central-valley/review-181088.html

The other place is quite a bit further up the volcano and is called Chubascos. It's a family style place with Tico offerings, but very well prepared. The rustic restaurant's building located in a foggy, verdant green setting with flowerbeds and other landscaping scattered about; very pastoral. In the flowerbeds are bushes of hortensias, hydrangeas with basketball-sized heads of blue flowers. Truly amazing. The Ticos love this place.

All the food is good and it is advisable to get there early since the place usually fills up rather quickly. I imagine it's a good idea to call ahead for reservations.

Here's a link to a review wth a phone number:

http://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica/the-northern-plains/review-54708.html

On other place comes to mind as I write this and that is Pura Vida Hotel located 2 K north of La Corte in Alajuela in Tuetal Norte. Berni and Nhi are your hosts. Nhi cooks the most marvelous meals you could want. Space is limited to hotel guests and any empty tables may be reserved, usually on Fridays, but I wouldn't not check quickly to see about availabilty tomorrow. Prix fixe menu at the choice of the cook. Ecletic place that has nice gardens with little cabinas scattered about it and other rooms in the hotel building proper.

http://www.puravidahotel.com/

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

have you tried all of these? They seem like "Valentine's Day places"

http://www.toenjoynature.com/COSTA_RICA/RESTAURANT/INDEX.HTML

If you run out of choices, and need a restaurant w/ good food, nice (but not spectacular) ambiance (no view), try this one:

La Trattoria

Los Yoses, detras del AutoMercado

The food is great, and I think they are fairly new - location is not the best, and I've never seen it crowded.