hello, anyone have a recomendation on a good school to learn spanish, soon I will be here in costa rica for 1 year and am not learning spanish as fast as i would like and would like to start taking some classes to help I am located near sj in Coronado

I've used these:

- Intercultura, 1 week, Samara (they are also in Heredia). Max of 6 students per class. Did it to make sure I *could* learn Spanish :D. It was great for me, and pretty good for my husband, but a friend just went (over Christmas week), and was *not* happy.

- Montana Linda, 3 weeks, Orosi. Can get one-on-one pretty easily. Worked great for hubby, ok for me.

- Epifania, 4 weeks, Curridabat. Max of 8 students per class. Great for me.

You can google to get the websites for all. Best is to find out / know your preferred learning style - i.e., are you better in a class, or one-on-one...

hello, anyone have a recomendation on a good school to learn spanish, soon I will be here in costa rica for 1 year and am not learning spanish as fast as i would like and would like to start taking some classes to help I am located near sj in Coronado

at the moment iam in san jose languageschool in san pedro ,great have alook on their wesite www.spanishandmore.com

i think s great

good luck www.jungledreamz.com

I will be attending Costa Rica Language Academy (CRLA) near San Pedro for my 3rd time beginning next week. I would highly recommend this school for others as well. CRLA

But for you, there are spanish schools all over CR so you could likely find a school near where you want to be.

- Intercultura, 1 week, Samara (they are also in Heredia). Max of 6 students per class. Did it to make sure I *could* learn Spanish :D. It was great for me, and pretty good for my husband, but a friend just went (over Christmas week), and was *not* happy.

I had very mixed experiences w/ Intercultura at Samara when I lived there. One class was a total waste because most of the students were young men from the US who were basically on a credit-earning vacation, and the instructor catered to their desire to speak mostly in English, and to learn Spanish vocabulary useful for picking up young Ticas in the local bars. They had some good instructors, but on balance I thought that the hundreds of dollars I gave them would have been better spent elsewhere.

A couple of people have already recommended CRLA, and I will third their opinion. It's a great school, wonderful people, and was my home away from home for a year or so.

However, the dirty little secret is that, when it comes to language schools, most are roughly similar. Actually none (including CRLA) are great. The problem is that they all operate according to the weekly schedule, so over time you get switched around and continuity is lacking. I have had the same lessons a half dozen times, yet missed things I should have learned. It's the nature of the beast for the schools here to be a crap shoot. I think at the beginner level a person might be better off at the Inter-American Cultural Center, or whatever the name is (where the Mark Twain library is behind Auto Mercado in Los Yoses), simply because they have an ongoing program. However, after the beginner level, their courses are only theoretical. They never have enough intermediate or advanced students for a course. Besides this, though, all the language schools are going to be about the same week-to-week hit-or-miss program.

It is also the case that the schools have the same teachers. My best friend here teaches sometimes in these schools, and I have known her long enough to have watched her teach in different ones. I'm also enough in the loop to know others who have taught at different schools. All the schools will tout their great teachers, but in reality the teachers can be the same exact people. Some schools, CRLA among them, seem to do a little better. They pay a little better, so attract and retain teachers better, but it is not enough to make a huge difference. My friend has taught for a lot more money on the coast for example, but doesn't like it there as well.

This said, I will second another opinion and recommend Epifania. The problem with Epifania is that it is so blasted small. They started the school at the wrong time, when tourism was down, and have never been able to get the critical mass necessary to get a really good comprehensive program going. (CRLA has that critical mass.) The result is that placement can be worse at Epifania, and the whole social scene is less developed. However, the director there as well as another teacher probably know more about language instruction than anyone at any other school knows, and yes, CRLA teachers also teach at Epifania. The thing is though that Epifania is often much cheaper than CRLA or others, especially when they run specials. So it's a good choice for the budget conscious.

I can't comment upon others, but if I were sending a college-age student to CR I would probably choose CRLA. It has the critical mass, the whole social atmosphere, and there's nothing wrong with it. But if I were older and just wanted to learn Spanish, and the cost was lower (as it usually is), I would pick Epifania. Others are probably fine too, I just don't know about them first hand.

If one has the time, UCR has a SFL (Espanol as a Foreign Language) program tailored for teaching spanish to foreigers. The problem is that the courses run on a fixed schedule. You cannot come and go as you please as with the private schools.

When I am here full time I may look in to this program some more. Until then, CRLA is working for me.

http://www.spanishclasses.ucr.ac.cr/index.html