Sign in to follow this  
DanaJ

Proposed US Healthcare Legislation

Well, it looks like Congress is going to pass the proposed health care legislation, and it looks like one of the provisions is the requirement for US citizens to purchase insurance, and be penalized if you don't. Sure, there are supposed to be subsidies for those employed persons that still can't afford insurance, but what about Expats?

I would like to encourage all US Expats to write, or better email their Congressional Representative ASAP encouraging them to either exclude Expats that have coverage outside the US, or in the alternative ask that coverage be extended outside the US. Another option is that Expats be able to purchase short term trip insurance for when they do visit the US.

This could affect us all very shortly. Many Expats are retired and living on fixed incomes, and having to purchase US insurance that wouldn't cover you outside the US, and penalizing you if you don't would be an undue hardship on many if not most of us.

So please, email your Representative or Senator, if you are unsure who they are, you can Google the US House of Representatives by State and then look up your particular district.

Happy Holidays. Dana J

Dana J

I think you make excellent points. Sending all of our concerns may have more effect that a few letters, emails to many different congressmen. Would a petiton of sorts from this group have more impact than from individuals. My experience with politicans is that if you are not specific with your request you will get something different.

Thanks Ed

Perhaps there are provisions that we know nothing about. For instance, few people know that you can opt out of Medicare if you are collecting SS pension but those of us living here have done it. Maybe a letter asking if there is an opt out for non-residents would be better as a first step. Anxious to hear the answer.

In the meantime, PLEASE write your representative and both senators--here are the web sites you need:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

It doesn't have to be long and complicated, but please try to make your points without too many complicated arguments. The House and Senate will be working thru issues informally next week and in earnest the week after that, so now is the time to bury them with email--don't think for a moment that it doesn't get read. Their staff reads everything, and if something resonates it will be summarized and passed up to the representative or senator.

Well, it looks like Congress is going to pass the proposed health care legislation, and it looks like one of the provisions is the requirement for US citizens to purchase insurance, and be penalized if you don't. Sure, there are supposed to be subsidies for those employed persons that still can't afford insurance, but what about Expats?

I would like to encourage all US Expats to write, or better email their Congressional Representative ASAP encouraging them to either exclude Expats that have coverage outside the US, or in the alternative ask that coverage be extended outside the US. Another option is that Expats be able to purchase short term trip insurance for when they do visit the US.

This could affect us all very shortly. Many Expats are retired and living on fixed incomes, and having to purchase US insurance that wouldn't cover you outside the US, and penalizing you if you don't would be an undue hardship on many if not most of us.

So please, email your Representative or Senator, if you are unsure who they are, you can Google the US House of Representatives by State and then look up your particular district.

Happy Holidays. Dana J

Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Plan covers you outside the USA and is excellent!!

Edited by tibas9

Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Plan covers you outside the USA and is excellent!!

I can no more afford Blue Cross/Blue Shield than I can afford a Ferrari. I HAVE health insurance, it's the Caja. I am hoping they will leave me and the rest of us with Caja alone. It seems the point of this bill was to benefit health insurance companies and drug companies, not patients. Looks like they succeeded.

"Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Plan covers you outside the USA and is excellent!! "

Well, perhaps if the legislation passes, I can get BC/BS coverage, but now we have a "pre-existing condition" called middle-age, and they would want THOUSANDS per month to cover both of us. I was covered at my job by Kaiser, which wasn't so bad, but the COBRA cost is enormous and I really just can't afford it.

I really just want coverage while I am in the US, where even a small accident and visit to the E-Room could cost thousands of $.

This is why everyone should email their REp. A petition would be good, but there really isn't time now.

They say that every individual letter or call is counted as the expression of x#thousand people that don't write, so your email really, really will count.

I can see Expats getting left out of the picture and getting screwed.

DanaJ

Perhaps there are provisions that we know nothing about. For instance, few people know that you can opt out of Medicare if you are collecting SS pension but those of us living here have done it. Maybe a letter asking if there is an opt out for non-residents would be better as a first step. Anxious to hear the answer.

Eleanor, I would be interested in hearing more about opting out of Medicare. What does that mean? Peter NH

P

Social Security has 2 parts.. A and B. part A is free and Part B is $96.00 a month.. you can opt out of the $96.00 a month by either calling social security or by going on line.. if you are already paying it will take about 3 months til they stop deducting it from your checki... Part A is for hospital expenses and Part B is for Doctors, chemotherapy, CAT scans etc...

If you are living in Costa Rica, you will need to go to the Embassy and sign a form that says you want to opt out of Medicare since you live in Costa Rica and cannot use it. At least, that's what I did. Not sure if it has changed since then. And, no, they don't refund anything you have already paid.

Mornin' All,

Please keep in mind that if you can afford to pay the $96.40 per month for the Medicare, it is a good fall-back to have in the wings in case the CR med system wants to put your treatment or tests on-hold as they sometimes do. (Ronni can fill you in on that point.)

If you do decline the Medicare you can rejoin it later, but there is a 10% surcharge per lapsed year tacked onto the (current) monthly amount at the point you rejoin, which Medicare says they may or may not assess to a lapsed person.

Just wanted to pass that info along.

HTH

Paul M.

==

There still are cost with Medicare Part-B, depending on what you have done and how it is coded, inpatient, outpatient or observation there are more cost out of pocket. If you are not inpatient you maybe required to pay for any medications that you are given that do not relate to the testing being done. Then there is a deductible for each admission outside of a 30 day window, I think that is right. Medicare is doing RAC audits to determine if Medicare is being billed appropriately. This whole audit process has generated another layer of healthcare workers. Then less not forget Medicare Part-D for your medications.

I am stateside and being 69 have been following this closely, I think it will be some time before it passes if it ever does. There are several Constitutional issues that will pose major obstacles. No question we need a medical system overhaul, but the proposed bill will need a lot of cleaning up along with removing the various bribes. The bill is packed with pork, favors and like I said above illegalities! The Chicago crook we elected is ignoring all rules of law! If you can get FOX news down there they are covering it very well.

The Greatest Show on Earth, Washington that is and we are paying to see smoke and mirror. We are hard pressed to find any legislation about anything that is done without deal making and pork. I agree that there needs to be something done. The mood of the country in my opinon is similar to what I detected during the Civil Rights Movement. The country was polarized with many rights and no wrongs. We could justify violence toward each other and attend church and sing hymns. We can watch people without health coverage and say that we would support change "if" Please start some place. As a country, The States lack moral fiber in my opinon. If there is a profit to be made we can be counted to take full advantage. A part of the problem is that we are young, adolescent if not toddlers as a civilization at best. We are big and throw tantrums about. I pray we grow up, try to see that people, and ideas are not threats. Please do not change things even though they do not work. We can clearly know what is best for groups that we are not a part of. Freedom for me by limiting your rights. Just my thoughts as a registered republican.

Ed

I am stateside and being 69 have been following this closely, I think it will be some time before it passes if it ever does. There are several Constitutional issues that will pose major obstacles. No question we need a medical system overhaul, but the proposed bill will need a lot of cleaning up along with removing the various bribes. The bill is packed with pork, favors and like I said above illegalities! The Chicago crook we elected is ignoring all rules of law! If you can get FOX news down there they are covering it very well.

Blackstone Ranger reject?