versatile

A good read for expats

Seems to be -- these are the important words I think. Garland Baker writes highly opinionated and often inflammatory stuff for Am Costa Rica. As such, it is difficult to rely on such information. However, it is worth a read as PART of an education about living or doing business in Costa Rica. He is sort of the Fox News of Costa Rica, in my opinion.

Seems to be -- these are the important words I think. Garland Baker writes highly opinionated and often inflammatory stuff for Am Costa Rica. As such, it is difficult to rely on such information. However, it is worth a read as PART of an education about living or doing business in Costa Rica. He is sort of the Fox News of Costa Rica, in my opinion.

Yeah, but this one wasn't so bad, except that he has weird explanations. If you followed the letters to the editor afterward, it was clear that that the agency intended to handle customer service complaints is worse than those that prompt them. So right, you wait months to file a customer services complaint and then get ignored?

Anyone interested should go to the back bar of the Castillo hotel in San José and read the sign under the bar intended for the staff. It starts, "Before you say 'no hay'" and then continues with customer service advice. You have to live here for awhile before you get used to the "no hay" (basically, "there isn't any") but after awhile you get used to it. It doesn't matter if you are looking for toothpaste or a house, clerks will look at you and say "No hay!" as if you're a moron for even asking or bothering them. Funny. If they are out or can't find it or don't want to bother, it's "No hay!" They don't offer to order it, don't say when they will get it it, don't tell you where else to go to find it. It's "No hay" and that's that.

One day when it comes to pay I'm going to say "no hay" and see what happens. Probably I'll be ushered out of the store in an instant.

Funny though, stores go under all the time here. "No hay" as well as never having change could be a reason. But boy while they have the store do they ever think they are important. It's sad-charming.

Actually, I meant what I said, TG - Fox News of Costa Rica - biased, one-sided, etc. My only real beef with Baker and AM Costa Rica is that everything he writes should be marked as an opinion piece or editorial. When he goes off on Costa Ricans, making broad statements about what Costa Ricans think or do or don't do, it is aggravating. Mainly because you cannot say that "all" of any country do the same thing or think the same way. Most of his pieces have no facts attached which would be more helpful to the reader instead of just what he says it is. Jay Brodell, when I had an email exchange about this with him, told me that Am Costa Rica is like Time magazine: they take the news and interpret it so you can understand it. Huh? Yeah, I still read it every day but tend to skip over anything written by Garland Baker.

Fox is more conservative for sure, but they seem to ALWAYS have someone representing the "other" side". With that, you can at least form your own informed opinion.

CNN center? Oh dear me. How can they possibly be in the center when they absolutely NEVER present both sides of an issue?

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

TG

CNN center? Oh dear me. How can they possibly be in the center when they absolutely NEVER present both sides of an issue?

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

TG

Nah, CNN was supposed to be left between MSNBC and the "Center" of the sliding scale but I couldn't get the diagram to show up correctly between the editor and what actually posted so I gave up. Fox was supposed to be halfway between "Center" and one sided "Conservative Bias" but that didn't work out either. My diagram looked really good in MS Word before I cut and pasted it though... :P )

Fox is more conservative for sure, but they seem to ALWAYS have someone representing the "other" side". With that, you can at least form your own informed opinion.

"Informed opinion"? FOX invites someone to represent the "other side" and almost without exception that person is either an extremist, outrageous, uninformed, unskilled in debate, or otherwise so objectionable that it is relatively easy for the person representing the FOX point of view to poke big holes in the arguments of the "other side".

FOX's latest shenanigans from two days ago...

I know this isn't a political forum, but I'll plow ahead anyway. As far as Fox presenting 'both sides,' that's true if you think the Republican National Committee and the Religious Right equal both sides. Fox 'News' fought a court case and WON the right to legally lie and present it as news. http://www.relfe.com...egally_lie.html