I've never heard of that outfit. I did look at their website with the link that you provided. Their "free" phone calls are a bit misleading. Calls are free to the 8 countries on their list. Calls to CR cost 6 to 8 cents/min. That is about the same rate that you can get with most VOIP services.

I personally use Yahoo! only because I had the account because my GF in CR likes to use it to chat online. With Yahoo! or MS Instant Messenger or Skype or many others you can talk computer to computer for free. You can make phone calls from your PC to telephones for a very low rate. (7 cents/min, US to CR)

I am transitioning to the voice service from Google. Their service works about the same except you can make calls from amy telephone and do not have to use your PC. They also have nifty messaging service that transcribes voice mail messages to text so you can access them online. It also has lots of other nifty feature that folks should check out.

You're right Laura. It doesn't get much better than free!

The only draw back for the free PC to PC calls is that both parties have to be online and logged in to the service at the same time. Aside from that, the call quality is usually pretty good and with Yahoo!, MS IM and others you can share photos and other stuff at the same time while you are online.

You're right Laura. It doesn't get much better than free!

The only draw back for the free PC to PC calls is that both parties have to be online and logged in to the service at the same time. Aside from that, the call quality is usually pretty good and with Yahoo!, MS IM and others you can share photos and other stuff at the same time while you are online.

Hi Mark,

With Skype, there are Skype-friendly phones available that one can purchase and hook directly to your router. Then your computer does not have to be on with you logged into Skype to receive Skype calls from other Skype members. You can also buy a Skype phone number on a yearly basis and non-Skypers can call you at that number.

The only thing that Skype does not permnt is to use their services to make emergency phonecalls as the calls don't ID on emergency call-center switchboards.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Hi Mark,

With Skype, there are Skype-friendly phones available that one can purchase and hook directly to your router. Then your computer does not have to be on with you logged into Skype to receive Skype calls from other Skype members. You can also buy a Skype phone number on a yearly basis and non-Skypers can call you at that number.

The only thing that Skype does not permnt is to use their services to make emergency phonecalls as the calls don't ID on emergency call-center switchboards.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Um, thanks Paul. I'm happy with what I am currently using.

Um, thanks Paul. I'm happy with what I am currently using.

Not a problem, Mark, but I put the info up in case you weren't aware that such an option (not having to have the computer on to get calls) existed and also so others here would be aware, too.

That I had to have my computer on and be logged into Skype to receive phonecalls always seemed a drawback to me, by keeping one from receiving a call without preplanning with the other party so that I could be up and running to receive it. I was happy to learn that there was an option that bypasses that.

That having been said, I've shopped around a few times but the phones I've found have been rather pricey, even though I've been assured that there are models that are now in the $25 range. Of course, having a Mac, in this case seems to limit options somewhat.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

• 3 weeks later...

Buying and using a MagicJack maybe an option also.

We have one we brought with us when we went to CR

and were able to make calls back home, over the

internet, at the places we stayed.

Hi Gary,

I hear many complaints by folks who have problems with MJ. Some do have good luck with it, tho...

I like Skype for the resaon that I don't need to bring any hardware along with me to hook into one computer or another, unless maybe you consider a headphone/mic set to be able to hear better with.

What always sells me about Skype is that calls are free, computer to computer if Skype is installed on both computers, which is free to download. And now that most of my friends and family have Skype installed, my need to purchase minutes to call cell phones or landlines is greatly diminished.

Some people argue the need to 'make an appointment' to call other Skypers, but when you are logged in you can see whether your friends and regular contact are logged into Skype, as well.

Skype just seems less problemated and less expensive to me than MJ.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Hi Paul

I have never used Skype, and have only heard good things from people who have. I know Andy Browne has both and maybe he can comment.

Several years ago I turned off the ability to make long distance calls on my land line in Michigan, which cost me $5/month plus 10 - 25 cents a min..

My mother got me a $20 calling card from Cosco with long distance min. at about .027/min.. This was fine and would last me about three years.

Only draw back, had to first dial a 800 number and then enter a eight digit code. However the kids got older and the $20 card was only lasting

three months. So in Feb. 2009 we bought a MJ from Best Buy (there are many places you can pick them up) for about $43, which includes one

year of service. After that it is $20/year or $60 for five years. I have never had problems using mine, calling any type of phone (land or cell).

Of course you do need internet service and we do have very good high speed service at home 8MB I think. You can Goggle MJ and find sights

where people voice their complaints about MJ. I remember one of the big ones is that, if one say is using the MJ as there only phone line, which

we don't, but if we did we could save about $27/month, they must leave the computer that the MJ is plugged into on if they want to receive calls,

without them going to the MJ answering machine.

The only MJ "hardware" is 3" by 1.5" by .5". I was able to use it at four of the seven places we stayed in Costa Rica. The four places we could

use it all had WiFi, so I was able to use the computer (MacBook) we brought. The phone quality was fair to good, I don't think any of the internet

speeds were over 1MB. I may have been able to use it at the other places, however I would of had to plug the MJ into their computer and the MJ

does down load software on to the host computer. I have heard that some people complain that the MJ software slows down there computer?

Bottom line I don't want to down load software to someones computer, even if it is just some hotel.

Have a safe trip back to the States.

Gary