sunnysadie

PROPERTY INFRASTRUCTURE

I'm sorry but this, "The best suggestion is to leave names, places, and anything else that could serve as a significant identifier out of your posts and only describe your situation in general terms." is the very reason why HONEST, hard working folks with a dream to retire and live in CR will continue to be taken advantage of.

Look at it like this, we all can agree that well over 50%(MANY argue the number is higher) of all of the "persons who deal in real estate here in CR" sales or developments, are working illegally and many are here simply as tourist. Now, I know the law system here is a little or a lot different that in the States or Canada, but do you think that if I was an illegal alien selling a bunk product, working illegally in a foreign country that I would have a leg to stand on in any court battle. NO way!!

I agree with motavation1 in this instance.

Epicatt2, as a spokesperson for ARCR & one of the administrators of this forum you write: "The best suggestion is to leave names, places, and anything else that could serve as a significant identifier out of your posts"

At least, let 'us' and other 'potential buyers' know the 'general vicinity' of this development. And if there only happens to one such developer there, so be it...

What good does it do to 'warn' folk off of a bad developer/sales agent but 'please do not ID him/them/it on our site'? Is this not what this and other similar forums are for?

I'm sorry but this, "The best suggestion is to leave names, places, and anything else that could serve as a significant identifier out of your posts and only describe your situation in general terms." is the very reason why HONEST, hard working folks with a dream to retire and live in CR will continue to be taken advantage of.

Look at it like this, we all can agree that well over 50%(MANY argue the number is higher) of all of the "persons who deal in real estate here in CR" sales or developments, are working illegally and many are here simply as tourist. Now, I know the law system here is a little or a lot different that in the States or Canada, but do you think that if I was an illegal alien selling a bunk product, working illegally in a foreign country that I would have a leg to stand on in any court battle. NO way!!

Motivation (& All Forums Members):

Nonetheless, citing names of persons and businesses here on the Forums and/or bad-mouthing them no matter what they've done to you or someone you know is not going to be allowed on the Forums. Doing so can invite a lawsuit per Costa Rican law for the poster and for the Forums. Therfore it will not be permitted. Asking questions about or offering a general description of one's problem without including specific identifiers as to busines name, or location, or the persons involved will be allowed but leave contact info for yourself as the poster, so that other Forums members may contact you off-Forums for the specifics if they so desire.

If you want to go ahead and post specifics in spite of this warning, you will be summarily banned from the Forums and any such post(s) will be removed. No further discussion on this point will be entertained.

This decision is for the protection of Forums members and for the Forums.

If you do not like this, too bad. If you have complaints about moderators or moderating decisions do not post them here on the Forums. Send them to the moderators or to the list owner. Posting such complaints to the Forums will also get you removed. Sorry if you don't care for this decision either. There is a link to contact the moderators near the bottom of the main Forums page.

Now, let's get on with things, OK?

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

I can understand and agree with both sides of this equation.

On the one hand you want to warn people away from real estate charlatans who have the ability to seriously ruin people’s lives. This is no light matter as many people unfortunately do not spend the time required to properly investigate and/or take the time to rent in CR first to get the “lay of the land”. Worse they may do the investigation only find the person/company to be fraudulent anyway after going so far into the process. To summarily tell these people their bad for being naïve does not stop the problem from happening again or make them feel any better.

However, on the other hand for this site to maintain its credibility it does no good to allow people to come here and air all the dirty laundry involved with a real estate (or other) issue whether its truly a wrong or just a perceived wrong. These boards would then become open territory for people with any disagreement to slander the other many times without that persons knowledge that they are even being written about. There are always two sides to every story (or three sides IMO).

In this regard is there a middle ground that we can find to maintain the good nature and civility of these forums yet warn people of possible wrongdoers and away from bad developments? Perhaps a moderator can be identified in a real estate section sticky to keep track of these people and places offline so the information is kept in one place and can be accessible via PM or e-mail. (Basically the who, what, where and when of the incident/s involved with a person or development).

This moderator can then be contacted offline by Jane Doe with questions such as “I am thinking of buying a piece of land in San Isidro from Johnny Smith of XYZ Land Development and was curious if you have any information good or bad?” The response could then be as simple as;

“I have no information regarding Johnny or XYZ but please do your due diligence and let me know how it goes.”

“I have heard nothing but good results from people’s dealings with Johnny and XYZ but please due your own due diligence and let me know how it goes.”

“Actually, there are several grievances against Johnny and you might want to contact forum member/s so and so offline to inquire further about the particular situation and circumstances.”

This keeps the boards civil but provides an avenue for people to tap into the resources and wealth of the “been there, done that” experience that a forum of expats such as this contains. There can be a lot of good info gleaned from this site whilst keeping the dust bunnies out of view under the rug.

BTW – I apologize for prolonging this thread but I am trying to think outside the box for a win-win. :D

Tim