sunnysadie

PROPERTY INFRASTRUCTURE

I would like your thoughts about this issue. I looked at some property that was advertised as having underground electrical wire, water, internet access, fenced in with gate and guard, ponds for fishing and hanging bridges with gazebos for get togethers. When I viewed the property, I was again told about the underground wire so as not to "obstruct any views". I made a good faith payment with the remainder due the end of the month. Now that I'm here, the water system is being designed by the owner and is a gravity feed system. He has designed a system and tank to hold the water without having the architectural plans that would indicate the needs of each home to be supplied. I don't know about this sort of thing, so is it possible to just guess at this?

The main issue at the moment is that there is no electricity. When I was told about the underground wires, I believed that that was what I was getting and that I couldn't see it because it was buried! Now, after many confusing and frustrating conversations, the developer has stated that the electrical problems are the result of ICE or an electrician who "didn't know what he was doing" or any number of people that might have been involved. Now, I hear that the electricity will be installed and the wiring will be strung on trees. I have spoken to an architect and builder who had dealings with this man and both said that he has been given information as how to complete some of his projects but usually prefers to do them his own way which has caused subsequent problems.

The other amenities listed above: 1. fenced in secure property consists of 1 or 2 strands of barbed wire most likely installed by adjacent property owners to keep their cattle secure, 2. guard 24/7 is a young lady who lives in the little house at the gate. She does the housekeeping for the developer - therefore not at the gate. 3. No ponds, no bridges and the gazebo is a dilapidated wooden structure that may fall down any minute.

Like I said, the remainder of the payment is due the end of the month and I have no intention of making it...but what now? Can he be held legally responsible for providing what he said he was providing? Or do I just chalk it up to a learning experience, forfeit my money and run???

Sadie,

I think you have answered your own question. Why would you want to throw good money after bad?

The example you give is why we repeatedly offer the same advice to people considering moving to Costa Rica:

1] Live in the country as a test run for three to six months -or longer if possible.

2] Rent, don't buy anything during the test run

3] Never buy property sight unseen and when visiting the potential purchase, make sure the all the infrastructure is in place.

Sorry you got snookered into something that seems to have been grossly misrepresented.

Keep in mind that you are not the first to fall inti this sort of trap.

Good luck to you!

Paul M.

==

If I were you I would talk to a lawyer or two and start the process of suing him.

Don't expect to get the money any time soon, but you will be causing him a big hassle and it will probably bite him eventually.

Especially if your lawyer keeps pestering him with little annoyances.

You just might end up owing a piece of his property equivalent to the sum he ripped you of for. He will hate that.

Buena Suerte

(When I got serious the other parties responded immediately both times; getting actual results surprised me)

If I were you I would talk to a lawyer or two and start the process of suing him.

Don't expect to get the money any time soon, but you will be causing him a big hassle and it will probably bite him eventually.

Especially if your lawyer keeps pestering him with little annoyances.

You just might end up owing a piece of his property equivalent to the sum he ripped you of for. He will hate that.

Buena Suerte

(When I got serious the other parties responded immediately both times; getting actual results surprised me)

See the amcostarica article published by Garland Baker!

Filing a lawsuit will probably cost you $2000-$3000. The lawsuit can (probably) be more or less "attached" to the owner and the other lots for sale. If you can do this it will be very helpful to you because any serious buyer for one of the other lots will run away. And this gives you some leverage to get the seller to refund your money plus your legal expenses.

Regarding real estate... believe only what is put in writing. Anything a seller tells you (verbally) is meaningless. You can probably consult with a lawyer for a few hundred dollars, but trying to sue for verbal misrepresentations by a seller or real estate "agent" in CR may be fruitless.

First questions would be:

Did you use a 'reputable' lawyer?

One that was recommended by others, such as on this forum?

Did you 'knowingly' use the lawyer that the 'seller' or 'developer' also used?

Was the legal paperwork in English?

Have you already discussed the possibility of suing with your lawyer?

Are there other 'dissatisfied' potential/property owners involved?

If so, do you think they would 'contemplate' suing this developer?

Was this a high profile 'Gringo' developer that advertises on websites that many English speaking people view?

Good luck and am sorry that someone else has been 'ripped off' by a smoother talker.

Where is the property located in Cr and what is the name of the development to find others that might be in your same boat. "Strength in numbers" is always better than entering a battle alone.

I hesitate to "name names" here, but I will share my experience personally with you via email.

Was this a high profile 'Gringo' developer that advertises on websites that many English speaking people view?

Good luck and am sorry that someone else has been 'ripped off' by a smoother talker.

My lawyer has been affiliated with ARCR, speaks fluent English and had all legal paperwork in English. Unfortunately, this lawyer also has represented the seller in the past. The seller told me that this lawyer had handled the paperwork for the other 4 buyers and that by using him, it would be less complicated since he already had all the information on file. I have emailed this lawyer with my concerns and he responded by saying that he would contact the seller and discuss this with him. There are 3 other buyers who have verbalized frustration and concerns. They have even suggested that as a group we could possibly get this straightened out. I sent them a copy of my letter to the lawyer with their names included asking for feedback PRIOR to my actually sending the email. I asked that they respond to let me know if they were in agreement with what I had written and, if not, to re-word the letter so that it would reflect our group feelings. That was 5 days ago and there has been no response from them. I have now removed any reference to them from my letter to the lawyer and have mailed it to him. I don't count on any cooperation from them even though they have expressed the same feelings as I have.

This developer has his own web-site and also a for sale by owner listed on another popular web-site hosted by someone who offers excellent advice to the gringo community.

sunnysadie, thanks for your update and reminding those who are still contemplating buying property here, and the ex-pats already residing in Costa Rica.

No matter how many times forum members write 'look to see for yourself if the infrastructure is already in place' someone will get 'snookered' by a glib spokesperson. If everything is not 'as advertised', and you are still interested in this 'one in a million' piece of land, hold on to your funds and wait and check on it periodically and hopefully the promises will eventually get filled.

Keep us updated on the outcome, and while I understand your reluctance in 'naming names' of both the developer and the lawyer, please consider doing this at a later date if details have not worked out to your satisfaction,so that when we read or 'pass on' a 'recommendation', possible clients are forewarned.

Keep us updated on the outcome, and while I understand your reluctance in 'naming names' of both the developer and the lawyer, please consider doing this at a later date if details have not worked out to your satisfaction,so that when we read or 'pass on' a 'recommendation', possible clients are forewarned.

Thank you CRFINCA. I really feel like I am the only person to post a comment about my bad experience on this site to forewarn other of my past situation with a land purchase in CR. I REALLY do feel like if everyone who frequents this site posts their good and bad TRUE stories on their experiences that we as a group can weed out the bad guys and galls here. It is the only way to make a bad situation good!! Get the word out there about their shady actions and close them down!! Simple.

Thank you CRFINCA. I really feel like I am the only person to post a comment about my bad experience on this site to forewarn other of my past situation with a land purchase in CR. I REALLY do feel like if everyone who frequents this site posts their good and bad TRUE stories on their experiences that we as a group can weed out the bad guys and galls here. It is the only way to make a bad situation good!! Get the word out there about their shady actions and close them down!! Simple.

I have no problem naming names...in fact, I would love to as long as I am sure that I will not be in some sort of legal trouble by doing so. I, obviously, don't know the laws or how to make certain that I am protecting myself.

I have no problem naming names...in fact, I would love to as long as I am sure that I will not be in some sort of legal trouble by doing so. I, obviously, don't know the laws or how to make certain that I am protecting myself.

Sadie,

It is really best that you don't name names or places on these Forums. That protects you and us at the Forums from having to deal with any actionable content or litigation thereto.

The best suggestion is to leave names, places, and anything else that could serve as a significant identifier out of your posts and only describe your situation in general terms.

You may however suggest that anyone wanting specifics contact you off list.

The laws in Costa Rica are different than in the US and it is best not to invite a denuncia.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Sadie,

It is really best that you don't name names or places on these Forums. That protects you and us at the Forums from having to deal with any actionable content or litigation thereto.

The best suggestion is to leave names, places, and anything else that could serve as a significant identifier out of your posts and only describe your situation in general terms.

You may however suggest that anyone wanting specifics contact you off list.

The laws in Costa Rica are different than in the US and it is best not to invite a denuncia.

Regards,

Paul M.

Thanks - that sounds like sound advice.

==