Has anyone considered living in another country or other countries before deciding to live in Costa Rica? Is anyone also considering living in another country or other countries besides Costa Rica?

What made you decide or not decide to live in Costa Rica?

Is anyone trying to decide between living in Costa Rica and another country or other countries? :unsure:

I looked at Mexico and Panama before choosing Costa Rica.

Panama has some pluses for retiree immigrants like a customs exemption for shipping personal property, property tax break, etc. But the only area that is not hot and humid is in the mountains of the north, near CR. Many people live in Panama City and it is full of high rise apartments and is not cheap to live there.

Mexico? A few desireable areas with a tolerable climate. Many of them a kind of rempte though. And, of course, security is a BIG issue in Mexico these days.

CR has a mild climate in the central valley. The beaches are there if you like them. Not more than a couple of hours away if you live in the valley. You have your choice of two coasts with civilization. Living expenses are moderate if you don't get carried away. Security is better than most other countries in the region. The govt. is fairly stable. The life style is or can be healthy.

My dos colones.

!Mark!

Thank you for sharing your story.

So far, my husband, Randy, and I are planning to live in Costa Rica with our 7 year old son August 2010.

Randy does also consider Thailand as a place to live. I said Kobe and I will live in Thailand with him if and when he is serious. I am open to visiting Thailand.

He's also considering South American, South Pacific, and Europe.

If you know anything about Thailand please let me know. We never visited Thailand.

My prediction if we do live in Thailand, it won't be until Kobe is at least 18 years old. Kobe turns 18 in the year 2020...which is fine with me. Until then, we will live in Costa Rica. If you do live in Thailand, we will most likely live there no children. Just me being psychic.

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

Sorry, Thailand isn't on my radar. There's no real reason except the stink of the sex tourists who go there (this is bad enough in CR), the cost of the airfare, and the language.

I became a Canadian resident before applying for residency in CR. That's just me. I knew I was heading out, just didn't know whether it would be North or South. I still like Canada, but alas my residency there will soon expire . . .

I looked at other places a little, Mexico for one, and that probably most seriously. Like others, I heard things about Poland and Eastern Europe, and being ethnically more than half German have teased German friends that I could qualify for citizenship there under the repatriation act. I wasn't the guy they wrote the law for, but it would work. Plus I like sausage and beer. There are some Islands in the Pacific, gosh I forget the name, that I even looked at briefly. When you think of leaving, you can't look at everything, but you do tend to look around a bit.

Now Nicaragua is the closest contender. I personally prefer Nicaragua to CR in many ways, yet my experience is that it is tougher to live there as a gringo. I really don't like the attitude toward and of gringos in CR, but there is more risk to gringos in Nicaragua. A set just don't like gringos, and let that be known. That makes it unpleasant and risky. Ticos actually don't always or even usually like gringos, but they are used to us and aren't overt in their dislike. I wouldn't say that CR is as "welcoming" as the hucksters claim, but it accepting. Nicaragua isn't always welcoming, and you can get this on the street.

I'm just thinking for myself. After having moved to CR, I'm happy in Latin America. But I could switch Latin American countries. I just don't see a better one to switch to. One thing about CR is that it is a mecca for other Latin immigrants too. Nobody thinks it's the best in the world, but it works for a lot of foreigners. The weird thing about CR is that they make their country a decent place for foreigners.

Sorry, Thailand isn't on my radar. There's no real reason except the stink of the sex tourists who go there (this is bad enough in CR), the cost of the airfare, and the language.

I became a Canadian resident before applying for residency in CR. That's just me. I knew I was heading out, just didn't know whether it would be North or South. I still like Canada, but alas my residency there will soon expire . . .

I looked at other places a little, Mexico for one, and that probably most seriously. Like others, I heard things about Poland and Eastern Europe, and being ethnically more than half German have teased German friends that I could qualify for citizenship there under the repatriation act. I wasn't the guy they wrote the law for, but it would work. Plus I like sausage and beer. There are some Islands in the Pacific, gosh I forget the name, that I even looked at briefly. When you think of leaving, you can't look at everything, but you do tend to look around a bit.

Now Nicaragua is the closest contender. I personally prefer Nicaragua to CR in many ways, yet my experience is that it is tougher to live there as a gringo. I really don't like the attitude toward and of gringos in CR, but there is more risk to gringos in Nicaragua. A set just don't like gringos, and let that be known. That makes it unpleasant and risky. Ticos actually don't always or even usually like gringos, but they are used to us and aren't overt in their dislike. I wouldn't say that CR is as "welcoming" as the hucksters claim, but it accepting. Nicaragua isn't always welcoming, and you can get this on the street.

I'm just thinking for myself. After having moved to CR, I'm happy in Latin America. But I could switch Latin American countries. I just don't see a better one to switch to. One thing about CR is that it is a mecca for other Latin immigrants too. Nobody thinks it's the best in the world, but it works for a lot of foreigners. The weird thing about CR is that they make their country a decent place for foreigners.

Laura.........I have to echo kens post here........friend lived there for a couple years.......came back to the states with some storys....won't repeat them here but......you definintely don't want to go there or to Asia......just my thought.

I personally like C/r, Nicarargra and Panama are touted but think......settle in C/R and you can get to these countrys rather easily without a lot of expense and check for yourself. A compound in other countrys for us footloose and undecided expats might be a good idea. Chile except for the air fare might be a good spot as some other non-mentioned countrys.....but......after I buy Ken the Mercedes I won't have much left over so will have to depend on the other forum members to get the compound started.......john

Rich & Laura,

Neither Belize nor Ecuador have the infrastructure as does CR (such as it is).

I was in Belize twice some time back and found it rather charming. That was before the recent huge tourist influx after which the All-Inclusive Resorts began to pop up.

Belize was fun for me in its rustic sort of way but there was no place other than a basic clinic in the Cayo District on the west side of the country which would have been the only place I would have considered relocating to. But, as I said earlier, San Ignacio Town is now overrun with tourists and the development attendant on that, so that the rustic charm of the area is no more.

Also, for me there was no place in the country available where there was enough altitude to escape the heat and humidity of the country. Up in Mountain Pine Ridge it was about 2200 ft., but tended to stay between 78 and 80 F., plus it was a nature preserve and only the Maya Indians were allowed to live there, mostly in the village of San Antonio.

One other development that a poster mentioned recently elsewhere was that raids, originating in Guatemala, by gangs of thieves have begun occurring and they have attacked some tourist destinations in Belize (in the south and also Mountain Pine Ridge) and stolen money and valuables from tourists at upscale resorts there.

I really did enjoy Belize when I was there, but it was not a place I would have wanted to live year-round, primarily due to the heat.

Just ruminating a bit...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences about other countries.

My husband, Randy, is not serious about any place but Costa Rica at this time. I'll keep everyone posted.

Laura K

I've wandered around Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize before looking at Costa Rica. Costa Rica has much better health care but the day to day living expenses (food, goods) is the highest I've seen in Central America. The roads are pretty bad as well although there are bad roads throughout Central America but Costa Rica has more than I expected. The education system is also better than other CA countries. Panama is the next place I'm going to spend some time looking around. I think the costs are lower and the health care approaches Costa Rica levels. I won't know until I look some more in Panama. I have found a number of nice areas to live in all the countries I mentioned. I'm kind of thinking about making the move this winter if all goes well. I hope to do as many have recommended and that is to rent and look around and try a few different places before making any long term decision. Then I would look at a pensionado status and all these countries have a similar program. Panama has probably the best arrangement for pensionados. I've found the people to be great wherever I've been. I find the people in the rural areas to be generally nicer, more helpful, and more trustworthy than people living in the larger cities and that is particularly true in the US. I;ve never considered Asia or Eastern Europe. I've spent a few years in Europe and would not care to retire there although the Scandanavian countries are incredible but probably too expensive for me. Iceland would be the best but I really want to live somewhere warm.

I had visited Uruguay and Chile many times and considered both. Both are very beautiful and the infrastructure is great. The deciding issue was the ease of getting home to the States.

I had visited Uruguay and Chile many times and considered both. Both are very beautiful and the infrastructure is great. The deciding issue was the ease of getting home to the States.

Amen Jimmy........about $1200. last time I checked. For those who are weathy or who only expect to

come back to the states once a year......not a problem......but for us 3-4-5 time traveleers..it can get

quite expensive.......john

Jimmy and John,

Thanks for helping me realize something else when living in another country...the airfare at least 95% of the time.

Laura K