tigagringa

zancudo, pavones, golfito

I have a friend who bought beach front home in pavones for 85,000...spent a little more to renovate but very nice house...no title ...he took the chance...loves it..

I was hoping to get more responses.

Hi Victoria,

It may be that there is just not much offered in that area. It is, after all, sort of 'at the end of the road', lacking most of the amenities and infrastructure that urban society takes for granted, yet great for laid-back surferdudes and people wanting to get away from it all and lie about in hammocks, without electricity and 'uptown stuff'.

I did read someone else's commentary recently on another discussion group wherein they commented after visiting the area, with similar intents as you have, that it was so rustic there that it was not to her liking as a place to relocate to full-time.

Just thought I would pass that along.

Now, that having been said, you may be more than amenable to living in a 'lost' area such as Zancudo, so my post here is not to discourage you. It is merely to point out why there might be a place for only $85K for sale there. And it may have been for sale for quite a while, given the relative remoteness of the area.

In any event, good luck with your search.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

My coworker told me that there are still great deals in these areas, especially since the market crashed. She told me that you can buy a house but have to renew it every 25 years, in other words, you don't have the actual title.

some type of maritime law.

how safe and secure is that?

I would be thrilled if I could get a nice beachfront house for under 250,000 and she says that is possible.

Doyou know of anyone who has this type of beachfront property, what are your thoughts on the safeness of this?

I have some interest in the Sierpe River area near these towns you inquired about. This is the end of the world for most

but of interest to me as it is out of the way and free from some of the problems that other, more populated areas have.

The Sierpe River is a navigable river and accessible to the pacific with a good sized boat. Sierpe is a small town but can provide some North American Amenities...so I'm told by......Jim Cameron, bocajim1@gmail.com He's been there 20 odd years and will gladly email you and give you some answers to this area. If he doesn't.......message me and we will get it straightened out. john

Edited by builderlongtime

There are some good deals out there in these areas.

As for the beachfront, that is a double edge sword. A few years ago there were threats from the government to raze some buildings in the maritime zone. Some did not have concession, some claimed they did and others who did have it. Nothing materialized but it raised many concerns with the residents. That was in Dominical.

Jim Cameron, that John recommends, is a great guy. He can point you in the right direction.

There are some good deals out there in these areas.

As for the beachfront, that is a double edge sword. A few years ago there were threats from the government to raze some buildings in the maritime zone. Some did not have concession, some claimed they did and others who did have it. Nothing materialized but it raised many concerns with the residents. That was in Dominical.

Jim Cameron, that John recommends, is a great guy. He can point you in the right direction.

Jimmy......I understand they did raze some of the beach structures on the Osa pennensula some years back close to the

panamanian border.....But have not been back into this area since the 80's so don't know. Jims son Trevor is at osapenunsulaproperties.com and may have some info as well as Jim. He is on site year round now according to Jim. lAt any rate I would exercise caution in buying. Rent for awhile....get to know the locals, listen to them and then amke your decision accordingly. I know of many people screwed....and not by locals......by us Gringos......Sad but true. john

I learned, there are not hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, or sharks!

That is patently not true!

Anywhere there is salt water connected to an ocean there are sharks. Most especially anywhere on the Pacific ocean.

If you don't believe me just chum up the water with some chicken blood and wait an hour.

However, if you don't speak Spanish or understand Costa Rica, I am told this is NOT the place to be.

You'll need spanish.

I learned, there are not hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, or sharks! Also, no snorkeling to speak of, but 1 hour away you can do that.

Amazing fishing, monkey sighting, bird watching, and surfing!

A hurricane could hit the area. Most of the damage from hurricanes comes in heavy rainfall. Hurricanes Cesar and Mitch rerouted the Rio Terraba with devastating rain though they both were far north of these areas.

Earthquakes are felt quite often. And my last trip fishing trip just out of Golfo Dulce, one of the fishermen hooked a Hammerhead shark.

The surfing is great in Pavones especially for lefties.

Things are cheap in Golfito, but more expensive in Zancudo since it is more exotic, on the beach, and harder to get items to such as food.

Neither Zancudo or Pavones has much in the way of shopping or buying things... Pavones is more difficult than Zancudo.

True

I know for a fact that you could get into property in the Jaco/Hermosa/Herradura area for your price range. The area you are referring to is an area I'd love to visit, but I'd never entertain the idea of living there. Much too remote, not close to adequate medical care, & I don't believe for a minute that they don't have issues with crime there. Also, whoever told you there are no earthquakes, tsunamis, or sharks is trying to sell you something!

Jessica

(30 min south of Jaco)