Are there any places in Costa Rica where people can take classes and participate in sports? Parks and recreation programs or anything similar? :o

Are there any places in Costa Rica where people can take classes and participate in sports? Parks and recreation programs or anything similar? :o

Last winter in SJ there were Sunday morning aerobics in Sabana park.

Peter

I haven't found anything about parks and recreation in Costa Rica. What I did find is this website:

http://www.parquediversiones.com/.

Well, we have just an amusement park, as you said Laura, Parque de Diversiones, which money goes to National Children Hospital Association, and some country theme parks, like PANACA, which is private and a little expensive, I think. We need more spaces like that.

Even our national parks are the main spaces to enjoy with families, you can find many association for activities such as yoga, tai chi (sorry if I am writing it in a wrong way) and sports. For instance, when I was younger (not so long time ago, lol) I was part of a Judo Association here.

In Heredia, I have seen a yoga and tai chi association in Barrio Corazón de Jesus, north side of the city.

I think people here could be attending groups like those and would recommend you some of them.

You can find many associations in the phone directory. There is one online (in Spanish) for Costa Rica. Find it using google or another engine.

See you...

Rodrigo,

Thank you for the recommendations for activities. I assume there are similar activities for children and teenagers.

Yes, you did spell tai chi correctly. The amusement park looks like a lot of fun.

For example, my 7 year old son loves to play pool (billiards). Is there a place for children to play pool (billiards)?

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

Rodrigo,

Thank you for the recommendations for activities. I assume there are similar activities for children and teenagers.

Yes, you did spell tai chi correctly. The amusement park looks like a lot of fun.

For example, my 7 year old son loves to play pool (billiards). Is there a place for children to play pool (billiards)?

Laura K

About billiards, of course there is a national association. I am not sure if there is a branch for children but probably there is one, because, first the children of the current members should have pushed for it, and then, it is very popular as an activity in private clubs, such El Castillo, or professional associations. Second, if there is not a branch, you could suggest them to open it, so that way they would increase the association with new people, not only locals but from abroad as well.

What is pretty easy to find is a soccer school for children. Every soccer team in the local main division has at least one; my boy was in S for two years, then changed his mind to music. You can find many private soccer schools too, just look around the town in Costa Rica you are planning to live. Juan Cayasso, the guy who scored the first goal ever in a Soccer Wold Cup, Italy 1990, Costa Rica 1 - Scotland 0, had his own school.

But there is at least one association for each popular sport here: swimming, baseball, basketball. You know, in Palacio de los Deportes, Heredia (sorry but it is the place I know better) you can go to many of these activities and sport courses and the costs are available for all the population.

To be honest, if you like exercising, it is easy to find a place.

I haven't found anything about parks and recreation in Costa Rica. What I did find is this website:

http://www.parquediversiones.com/.

We have had the pleasure of spending a day at this park.

IMHO a far better value than any of the Orlando parks.

Short lines, decent rides, inexpensive food.

My wife and I will be going there again in the evening on a date for just the two of us this time. :D

Dear Laura,

I remember now about a private water park called Waterland (former name Aquamanía), located in San Antonio de Belen, 25 minutes from San Jose or 15 minutes from Heredia, close to the highway Alajuela-San Jose, to some hotels like Herradura and Cariari and to a nice residential area.

If your preference is about swimming, this park offers several swimming pools and water chutes. Also, there is a small restaurant inside and a game room with billiards, ping pong, futbolines (you know, small tables simulating a soccer match), etc. Horseback riding and fishing tilapia are also available. I know there is a family that owns a life share (you can enjoy it with your family for all you life and then you can inherit to your children or sell it as well) of this club and now it is offering that share for sale in 6000 US.

There are other private clubs, but usually the shares are not for sale, but you can ask.

Enjoy your day.

Rodrigo,

Thank you for the information about billiards (pool).

Our son (age 7) also enjoys ping pong (table tennis), foosball, soccer, running, hiking, swimming, etc.

I enjoy exercising myself. Nice to know there are inexpensive ways to enjoy activities in Costa Rica.

Laura K

Rodrigo,

Thank you for the information about billiards (pool).

Our son (age 7) also enjoys ping pong (table tennis), foosball, soccer, running, hiking, swimming, etc.

I enjoy exercising myself. Nice to know there are inexpensive ways to enjoy activities in Costa Rica.

Laura K

Congratulations, I see your family is very active at sports.

If you like hiking, trekking, too, there is an association in Escazu to climb, for free, Escazu hills every Sunday. The association is located in San Antonio, close to the public school, in the south side of Escazú. It is not necessary to be a member of the organization, just contact them to climb, in deed do trekking, with the group. I tried it when I was training for climbing Chirripo Hill.

Also, it is a good idea to go to Sacramento, Barva, Heredia, to go directly into the Volcán Barva National Park. You can go from the entrance to the lake in the top, hiking along beautiful natural paths. At the end of the day, a good "aguadulce" (you should try it) or a good coffee, with "pan casero" is a great reward.

Let's get real, sports in CR is . . . . Soccer. If you read the blasted child support law, soccer expenses are written into it. Everywhere there is soccer.

There are other sports, of course. Oddly, "spinning" is surprisingly popular. As best as I can tell, this is riding an exercise bike that goes nowhere. It makes no sense to me, since I like to go somewhere on a bike, but people say that they like it.

I may know most pool halls in San José. They exist, but Ticos tend not to be great pool players, and there are not a lot of them.

Soccer is a wonderful game and soccer players are among the most well-rounded athletes, men and women; besides it can be played with a minimum of equipment. All communities have a soccer field and child to adult soccer leagues more or less organized.

HOWEVER, I seem to remember that a Costa Rican wond GOLD in an aquatic sport at the last Olympic Games, there are also dance (ballet, tap, jazz, salsa) in the towns that I have seen. Also folkloric dancing in Guanacaste.

Horse(wo)manship is highly prized and I have seen several equestrian schools in the central valley as well as 'out west'.

Kenn and Annelise,

Thank you for your information.

My son (7) also likes miniature golf, ice skating, and roller skating.

I do like Salsa.

Laura K