Sign in to follow this  
Avery1

Any quality Eco Friendly/Sustainable Living Developments?

I am looking for information on developments in CR that would be considered eco-friendly or adhere to sustainable living principles (or at least attempt to). Any positive feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Avery

I am looking for information on developments in CR that would be considered eco-friendly or adhere to sustainable living principles (or at least attempt to). Any positive feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Avery

Avery........I have a few things planned, different from what is presently available at very high prices and that in most instances does not work as I understand sustainable living. I have some contacts on these developments and some that "at least attempts to"and will gladly share them with you and the forum but my information is not an endorsement.....it would be just what I know is proposed. I would be interested in your and other forum members ideas about what you think a development that is considered eco[friendly and sustainable living amounts to......message me and i will elaborate.......

john

I would be interested in your and other forum members ideas about what you think a development that is considered eco[friendly and sustainable living amounts to...

With the assistance of others and some research I am developing a basis. In relatively short time the 'ideas' considered have grown immensely. Some general steps we plan to take in approaching development from a eco/sustainable view; Environmental Study addressing, among other things, water management-drainage, waste management... Biological Study addressing animal habitat & vegetation... Cultural Study addressing impacts-integration & benefits to the local culture... Consideration will be given to building materials and their overall impact on the environment... Education should play a part... incorporate a concept referred to as Agriscape instead of standard landscape... "Embrace the culture, protect the environment"

Obviously there is much more to each aspect listed. Looking back after being a part of other developments, I believe there is better way to do it. Greatly looking forward to more feedback from forum members and all should know that providing information about existing developments does NOT constitute an endorsement thereof.

Best Regards,

Avery

Edited by Avery1

Avery, builderlonglime, my kind regards.

Reading your posts, I was wondering if this is a good oportunity to take the knowledge people for abroad are carrying with them in order to combine it with Costa Rica´s experts and institutions.

I am thinking about the local public universities researching about several methods for taking care of the enviroment and taking some common profit from it, I mean common by for the society. I am talking about things like biogas, solar energy, etc. I suggest you to contact Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica (TEC), Universidad Nacional, Universidad de Costa Rica.

The problem with some of those college programs is that sometimes the final results are only in the paper, even TEC has implemented some of those results in commercial products. Maybe, people who have worked on those fields in their own countries, and now are comming to CR to live, could give the U programs a tremendous support and these people would receive back not only satisfaction but certain kind of profit themselves.

You should ask these universities, on their websites, for information. Maybe they already have the projects and are looking for support.

Avery, builderlonglime, my kind regards.

Reading your posts, I was wondering if this is a good oportunity to take the knowledge people for abroad are carrying with them in order to combine it with Costa Rica´s experts and institutions.

I BELIEVE THAT MANY OF US WOULD WELCOME THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMBINE WHAT WE KNOW WITH COSTA RICAS EXPERTS AND INSTITUTIONS.

I am thinking about the local public universities researching about several methods for taking care of the enviroment and taking some common profit from it, I mean common by for the society. I am talking about things like biogas, solar energy, etc. I suggest you to contact Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica (TEC), Universidad Nacional, Universidad de Costa Rica.

MUCH WORK HAS BEEN DONE IN THESE VARIOUS FIELDS BY ALL COUNTRYS. THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN IN GETTING THE INFORMATION INTO THE GENERAL PUBLIC, EASILY AND UNDERSTANDABLY TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE ABILITY AND MOTIVATION TO ADD IT TO THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND MOVE US ALL FORWARD IN OUR THINKING.

The problem with some of those college programs is that sometimes the final results are only in the paper, even TEC has implemented some of those results in commercial products. Maybe, people who have worked on those fields in their own countries, and now are comming to CR to live, could give the U programs a tremendous support and these people would receive back not only satisfaction but certain kind of profit themselves.

AGREED

You should ask these universities, on their websites, for information. Maybe they already have the projects and are looking for support.

MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE THAT RATHER THAN US ASK (I HAVE COUNTLESS EMAILS TO MANY, MANY GOVERNMENTAL AGENCYS WITH LITTLE REPLY) IS THAT WE SET UP A BUILDING FORUM (CAN BE A PART OF THIS WEBSITE OR ANOTHER OR JUST AN EMAIL ADDRESS........THAT YOU ASK THESE QUESTIONS FOR US AND POST. IN THIS WAY WE CAN BEGIN TO COMMUNICATE THESE IDEAS THAT WE ALL HAVE. UNTIL WE ALL UNDERSTAND WE HAVE A COMMON GOAL LIFE ON THIS PLANET WILL NOT GET ANY BETTER. .............john

Cheers,

Avery

Avery,

Enclosed are a couple links I have found while perusing the internet. I cannot attest to the reliability of any of these of course but just want to throw them out there.

My wife and I are actually in the planning process of moving to CR soon and are both into sustainable building and green design. The plan would be for us to start a company with a solid foundation in green building including renewable energy, site orientation, use of renewable materials, green construction etc. Hopefully once this is realized I will have a better answer for you. Till then a good bet is to look for LEED certified projects which must follow and meet certain requirements.

Anyway, good luck with your search and please post anything interesting you have found!

Pura Vida

Tim

Community with LEED Certified Homes

http://www.seabreezemountain.com/index.html

Ideas on Green Building in CR (things to look for)

http://www.tropisphere.com/green-building.html

Page of Green & Sustainable Building links (Architects, Developers, and Materials etc.)

http://www.pura-verde.com/costa-rica-green-building.html

Check out "Vista del Valle" in Naranjo, actually on the left just past the exit for Grecia from the Autopista. Mike and Johanna have the most renewable and eco-friendly approach I've seen, and they encourage their employees to engage in other renewable pursuits.

I believe they have building sites as well...

Of course the great music on Saturday and Jazz Brunch on Sunday makes it a great destination anyway.

CD

Edited by CountDown