sunnysadie

Beginning my search for area to possibly make my home

Now, David, from the "tone" of my posts, do you think I could ever be arrogant?!? More like Aggie Mac!! Besides, I have flowers sticking out of the divit sand holders... "What say you?" :rolleyes: Barb

LOL! No not you...him. IMHO if he could ride all around rohromoser pissing people off and not getting killed, normal folks will be fine.

If he acted like that in the Bahamas he would have been shark food.

Depending on the quality of the road where you settle, and the distance you need to cover, it might be a good idea to use a golf cart. However, sidewalks in Costa Rica tend to be very uneven, so use the paved road. In our town, we still see people on horseback, so why not a golf cart?

We bought a 4W drive ATV which we use both on and off road, so it has a licence plate and we have to pay annual tax and insurance. We had a trailer built to fit it and enjoy the freedom it gives us.

AnneLise

Of course, our little golf cart is battery-operated, not gas. Does AAA come out there :D ?? Horses in town? Be still my heart!! That would make me feel good. My horse, Shar, just passed away on Jan 26. He would've been 32 on March 27th. I'd had him since he was 7 yrs. We were great friends! In what area do you live?

BTW, we have very dear friends in Fallbrook, CA (just outside San Diego) by the name of Pedersen (Jack & Vio). Is there any chance you are related? Jack is of Danish descent; has a sister, Neva Smith in Washington, and a brother, Lyle, in San Diego who passed away 2-yrs. ago.

LOL! No not you...him. IMHO if he could ride all around rohromoser pissing people off and not getting killed, normal folks will be fine.

If he acted like that in the Bahamas he would have been shark food.

Oh, okay... not me--him! Good! I think I'm still normal, although, our golf cart is turquoise, has a band around the roof with a little bit of fringe hanging down, a seat in the back for (2) where the golf clubs used to go, and a radio....

Is life different in the Bahamas? I only made it as far as Bimini in 19xx on a Mike Burke, Windjammer Barefoot Cruise. Right around the time that Adam Clayton Powell used to hang out there in that big pink hotel.

Now, tell me... what is LOL? (Lots of Luck???) and IMHO?? (no clue). You are teaching me a new language!

Good morning, Barb. LOL is "Laugh out loud." Like you, I don't have a clue what IMHO means. We are simply of the wrong generation. LOL Best, Richard

Im of the same generation as you two but guess that IMHO might mean "in my humble opinion".

"but then again they don't have Wal-Marts here either (yet)." Of course, you mean Walmarts with USA prices! Walmart is everywhere in C.R.

Yes, the Wal-Mart corporation is here. It owns Mas X Menos, Palí, Hiper Mas, and God knows what else. But they don't have a real Wal-Mart yet.

So... if you want to take a day trip to the other side of the Central Valley, or to the Pacific side to check out properties, would you suggest the Tico driver, renting a car for the day, or....? Thanks again for this post.

A couple weeks ago I needed to go to La Aurora, Heredia, with an uncertain itinerary and schedule, while I live in San Pedro, the opposite side of the Central Valley. So I tried to hire a pirata taxista, who wanted about $10 an hour (fair). When I called, he jerked me around, so I took the bus. The bus is always a challenge when you don't know where you're going. The bus stop had moved (it happens all the time here), I hit La Aurora together with the monsoons (so had to hang out in a tienda where the owners seemed engrossed in a checker game), and so forth. However, I enjoyed myself, got there, took care of my business, and saved around $35.

I am on the fence. My brother visited once, and he hired a driver for half a day. The driver had a cooler of drinks and was a nice guy. That worked when we were just roaming around. I don't remember what my brother paid him, but for roaming around it seemed like a good deal.

I guess my experience us that whenever I have a clue about where I am going, I prefer the bus. To skip the bus amounts to paying for ignorance. You pay a driver or rent a car primarily because you are ignorant of how to get around by bus. Well, I am ignorant sometimes. However, once I take the bus the first time, I rarely go any other way.

I usually take the bus to the airport even. Really. Why pay $20 for a cab when the bus gets me there for a dollar?

But it depends. I am not above paying a driver or even renting a car (although I never have). But I always take the bus, walk, or on certain occasions a taxi. Actually, I have a bicycle here, but that doesn't frankly work too well here, so there are only certain kinds of trips I use it for. (The bus is usually easier and cheaper than a bicycle.) But sometimes, like if I need to get Guadalupe or Zapote from San Pedro, I use the bike. The bus would make me go all the way downtown and then back out. Forget that. I can cross over on a bicycle.

This though is me. Knock on wood, I'm pretty good on a bicycle. I wouldn't recommend that others try it until they know what they're doing.

Practically, private drivers are not that bad, although overnight may get expensive. Take a bus to where you are going if long distance, then once there hire a diriver for the day. They even bring a cooler of drinks. Can't beat that.