The ARCR is also known for donating to charities in Costa Rica. I know there are forum members who give and volunteer in Costa Rica.

Even though I don't live in Costa Rica yet, I do donate to the library in Nosara: http://www.discoverypress.com/library/.

I would love to hear from forum members (even if they don't live in Costa Rica) how they donate and/or volunteer in Costa Rica. Giving items to ARCR for ARCR to donate to charities counts as donating. :wub:

The ARCR is also known for donating to charities in Costa Rica. I know there are forum members who give and volunteer in Costa Rica.

Even though I don't live in Costa Rica yet, I do donate to the library in Nosara: http://www.discoverypress.com/library/.

I would love to hear from forum members (even if they don't live in Costa Rica) how they donate and/or volunteer in Costa Rica. Giving items to ARCR for ARCR to donate to charities counts as donating. :wub:

Laura.... God Bless you for your contributions to the library and to this Forum. Many of us would like to contribute but

difficult sometimes in knowing where the money or time goes and how it helps. Some of us sent out some email sometime

back on the Earthquake that took children away from several familys. We could find no definite link where we could help.

If you are moving to C/R perhaps you can look into the situation and provide a conduit....many of us would like to help

certain situations but don't know exactly how. My advice at this time is to give to your community....not to the Bum who will

only tell other Bums of your generosity and you apparent wealth and rob you of your time and perhaps your money. Take care.......john

John,

You're so welcome.

What the name of the organization that assists earthquake victims in Costa Rica?

I would love to be a conduit.

Giving time to communities is a great idea. Yes, making sure no one takes advantage of our generosity.

Laura K

Laura, one interesting place to donate funds that help preserve Costa Rica's natural wildlife is the work that Kahuna (a big contributor to this website in the past) has set up. He has a number of websites:

@EcoInteractive Twitters #1 Voice on Environment and Conservation

Eco Interactive Costa Rica Blog

Eco Preservation Society

Support Conservation and Reforestation in Costa Rica, taking Eco Tourism to another level.

Help us save the endangered Mono Titi Squirrel Monkeys in Manuel Antonio. SavingMonoTiti.com

Support Turtle Conservation at Playa el Rey

Best always, Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The wildlife of Costa Rica is very important.

On Twitter, I'm following EcoInteractive.

Laura K

Hi Laura... We are just starting our thought process of moving to C/R. Hope to get paperwork started before the end of June and new laws, then come down to stay for a month or so. When I know for certain that it's "gonna happen", I definitely will want to get in touch with you. Giving of ourselves: time, money, clothing, heping the elderly or very young, animal and wildlife rescue, whatever we become aware of.... it's all for good. Looking forward to meeting you.

Barb

Hi Laura... We are just starting our thought process of moving to C/R. Hope to get paperwork started before the end of June and new laws, then come down to stay for a month or so. When I know for certain that it's "gonna happen", I definitely will want to get in touch with you. Giving of ourselves: time, money, clothing, heping the elderly or very young, animal and wildlife rescue, whatever we become aware of.... it's all for good. Looking forward to meeting you.

Barb

Barb......keep in mind that the new rules, according to all I read and hear, are about to be passed. One has 6 months before they become law to file and be grandfathered under the old rules. Not sure it makes a difference in your case but to many of us old timers who worked when wages were low and our .s.s. benefits are under the new $1000. figure for pensinados.....it does. $The old rule is $600. pensinado, #$1000. rentesta. The new rule is $1000. p, $2500. r.......Don't wait too long as once the rule is passed there will be a flood of applicants...Many are waiting to see what is going to happen. john

John,

You're so welcome.

What the name of the organization that assists earthquake victims in Costa Rica?

I would love to be a conduit.

Giving time to communities is a great idea. Yes, making sure no one takes advantage of our generosity.

Laura K

Laura.........I sent out a lot of emails after the earthquake and could find no direct help to the victims familys.

I am sure they exist but there just doesn't seem to be the direct links that there are in other disasters we hear about.

I guess we will all have to get together in C/R someplace and set up our own help line. If you find out anything let me

know. I am willing to help the people whose homes were destroyed in the earthquake rebuild.I think the challenge here is

to demonstrate that many of us care about others, that we are not there to move them off their property for pennies and turn around and sell it for dollars to others......who don't really careeither beyond themselves. Any of you can message

me if you like. Laura...keep posting. john

Barb,

I look forward to meeting you, too.

Good luck with your residency process.

It's good to know that in Costa Rica there are many ways to help people. The best way is donation of time.

Laura K

John,

Maybe ARCR knows something about how to help the victims of the Earthquake.

A helpline is a great idea.

I'm sure there are a lot people who would like to help.

Laura K

Maybe ARCR knows something about how to help the victims of the Earthquake.

Laura,

You might try reading thru some of the back issues of AM Costa Rica

http://www.amcostarica.com

from Jan 8th (the date of the earthquake) onward for about 10 to 14 days where, IIRC, there were suggestions for where to send donations.

One oft-repeated suggestion was to send money to the Cruz Roja so they could use the funds where most needed.

I am sure that Cruz Roja can still benefit from monetary donations as there is yet much to do in the aftermath for recovery.

I'd also check back issues of the TicoTimes and La Nación (Dígital) closely after said event....

HTH

Paul M.

==

my plan for the "giving tree" is ... since i am in the midst of planning a move and purging my possessions ... i am one who suffers from TMS .. that is too much s%@* ...as for my closet .. there are too many things that i don't care to wear ... there are t-shirts and sport shirts and such .. i am going to use them for packing material by wrapping the delicates .. and then donate locally after i unpack...mjm

my plan for the "giving tree" is ... since i am in the midst of planning a move and purging my possessions ... i am one who suffers from TMS .. that is too much s%@* ...as for my closet .. there are too many things that i don't care to wear ... there are t-shirts and sport shirts and such .. i am going to use them for packing material by wrapping the delicates .. and then donate locally after i unpack...mjm
Ace......what a great idea.....but......I am wondering if you are going to be charged a duty (35%) on your wrappings.Please let us know. I was the county estate auctioneer here for the past 20 years. I also have bought and sold during that time and have several houses full of clothes (packing material) miscellaneous and sundry items plus many tools and much equipment. If I can get someone to pay the shipping and the C/R government will not tax what I give away.......I will donate it all except for some of the tools and equipment I will need to build my house. There will be more than one container. keep us informed.......john

Ace......what a great idea.....but......I am wondering if you are going to be charged a duty (35%) on your wrappings.Please let us know. I was the county estate auctioneer here for the past 20 years. I also have bought and sold during that time and have several houses full of clothes (packing material) miscellaneous and sundry items plus many tools and much equipment. If I can get someone to pay the shipping and the C/R government will not tax what I give away.......I will donate it all except for some of the tools and equipment I will need to build my house. There will be more than one container. keep us informed.......john

Why not talk to Charlie Zeller, the shipper, and see if he has any advice about how to label these items destined for donation, so they won't be dutied.

Just a thought...

Paul M.

==

Paul,

Thank you for the information about Cruz Roja.

builderlongtime,

Donating your clothing is a great idea.

Good luck with that.

Laura K