A friend here has a dog that weighs 125 pounds, which is over the limit as far as the airlines are concerned. She needs to take him with her to Arizona. She is trying to find out if she can book one-way passage on a cruise ship but no luck so far getting any information.

Does anyone have an idea how she can move this dog up there? It belonged to her dad who passed away here in CR last year, and she's going home to the U.S. She doesn't want to leave the dog here. If she could be assured of a really good home for him, she might consider it, but she would rather take him with her.

A friend here has a dog that weighs 125 pounds, which is over the limit as far as the airlines are concerned. She needs to take him with her to Arizona. She is trying to find out if she can book one-way passage on a cruise ship but no luck so far getting any information.

Does anyone have an idea how she can move this dog up there? It belonged to her dad who passed away here in CR last year, and she's going home to the U.S. She doesn't want to leave the dog here. If she could be assured of a really good home for him, she might consider it, but she would rather take him with her.

I think most cruise ships do not allow pets other than seeing eye dogs. However some ships used primarily for moving freight also carry a few passengers. This type ship might well take a dog along if there are such ships from Costa Rica to the US. She might have to drive to get him back if no proper home appears to keep him in CR.

shea I am bringing a great dane to costa rica in july..using a class 7 kennel which is the biggest allowed..only continental airlines will fly a dog during the summer months..so far so good...have her look continental up on the internet and scroll to live animals.I think this will do it for her...369.00$ one way..I have to fly tampa to houston to san jose..she definitely will fly to houston then it depends on the size of the plane whether she can continue on..also they only take 1 animal per flight so book early..

Edited by badboy

shea I am bringing a great dane to costa rica in july..using a class 7 kennel which is the biggest allowed..only continental airlines will fly a dog during the summer months..so far so good...have her look continental up on the internet and scroll to live animals.I think this will do it for her...369.00$ one way..I have to fly tampa to houston to san jose..she definitely will fly to houston then it depends on the size of the plane whether she can continue on..also they only take 1 animal per flight so book early..

How did it go with moving your dane?? We have 2 of them (156 lbs and 125 lbs) and are very nervous about flying them.. Curious your experience and how the dog did??

Shea: Also, check with Delta. They sell the 700 size direct for your pet, and the 70 degrees heat restriction for both luggage & cargo traveling pets is Sept. 15th. I spoke with them at great length the other nite, and they were most helpful. You can also go on Delta.com and in their search engine type in: "In Cabin Pets". It opens up the entire web page on traveling with your pet, not just the in-cabin ones. Hope this info is helpful, too.

BTW, there is a good vet in Escazu recommended by Scott Oliver on the "We Love Costa Rica" web site & newsletter. The Vet's name is: Dr. Adrian Molina. They only take 48-hrs. to process the export papers, and will be able to answer your questions more in depth about the dog's weight. Dr. Molina's phone numbers are: (506) 2228-1909 and (506) 2288-171.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend's dad. Barb

Shea: I made a typo in my post a moment ago re: the temp restriction on Delta. At 85 degrees Delta will restrict the pet from flying as Checked Baggage and will fly them as Cargo. Again, their website in very informative about the pet's comfort. I called them just now and they gave me the Cargo phone number for SJO airport in Costa Rica, which might be more definitive for your friend concerning the dog's weight & shipping procedures out of C/R. The number is: (506) 2443-4648. Hope this is also helpful.

Some people was telling us yesterday, that when they tried to bring in some Great Danes, they were told that they could not be flown direct in to Liberia. That they needed to be later transported there. Anyway, when the dogs arrived and cleared at the Juan Santamaria airport, the owner were billed for the 'duty due' on these very large dogs. It ended up costing them $3,000 to get their pets from the USA to Liberia.

Shea,

Did they allow as to why the dogs were dutied?

Seems odd, since they were pets and not being imported for any commercial purpose.

Paul M.

==

Shea,

Did they allow as to why the dogs were dutied?

Seems odd, since they were pets and not being imported for any commercial purpose.

Paul M.

==

Not me. CRF gave that info. Seems odd to me, too. In my friend's case, the dog is going from CR to U.S. so the duty info wouldn't apply.

Shea