Laura - I don't think that is always the case. I took the kids to see Harry Potter 5 at the Multiplaza Theatre in July 2007 & it has been released in CR only about a week or so later than the US release.

Jessica

Edited by ReevesTribe

Jessica,

I stand corrected.

What confused me is when we visited San Jose February 2009, a billboard said that College Road Trip starring Raven-Symone and Martin Lawrence was a new release. It was released in 2008...new enough.

The funny thing is we saw the movie on DVD August 2008 before leaving for Costa Rica.

Thanks for the correction.

Laura K

The latest American movies don't reach theaters in Costa Rica until they are at least 1 year old.

Laura,

I have to agree with Jessica on this. I have found over the years that the release dates for US features in Costa Rica has gotten closer and closer to the US release dates for them. It is mostly now down to within a week of the US opening date in a great many cases.

Sometimes we may not recognize a particular film has arrove as the spanish title for it sometimes gives little clue to its english title.

One I remember I had no clue on before I saw some of the photo stills from it displayed outside the cinema was "The sound of Music". Its spanish title is "La Novia Rebelde". Would you have guessed that one?

And there are lots of others which are unrecognizable by the spanish title...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

http://www.whereincostarica.com/ :wub:

The latest American movies don't reach theaters in Costa Rica until they are at least 1 year old.

No, probably a month or so after they are released in the USA. Also, many movies, especially the Disney's, are only in Spanish WITHOUT subtitles in english.

Thank you, everyone, for informing me about how soon American movies are released in Costa Rica.

It would be interesting to find out how soon popular American songs are released in Costa Rica...probably just as quickly as American movies.

Jessica,

Thank for the link to the movie theater.

To drive 3 hours to see a movie, it has to be a really good movie.

Laura K