May no one ever have to serve prison time in Costa Rica:

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Freeman1.html. :(

Very eye opening post Laura. Seems like the US embassy was pressuring Costa Rican authorities to play ball with them and they did so. We all need to be careful to steer clear of situations that even approach or briong us in contact with lawless behavior. But this story really makes that point so clearly, even though the underlying issue was lawless the end does not justify the means under the rule of law philosophy. Thanks for posting.

Johnhw2,

You're so welcome.

We are told what that we will go to prison if we break the law but are never told what will happen to us once we are in prison.

Yes, this does remind us to stay away from unlawful situations.

Laura K

Johnhw2,

You're so welcome.

We are told what that we will go to prison if we break the law but are never told what will happen to us once we are in prison.

Yes, this does remind us to stay away from unlawful situations.

Laura K

Very well said Laura. Also what bothers me about this situation is how they got around his arguments that the forced return to the US was counter to laws in CR. But the important point is the one you make. stay away from unlawful situations and do not count on a technicality or legality to save you. Both articles on the jails are enough to make this point too, stay away very very very far away from the so called line.

Johnhw2,

Also, any type of criminal records can destroy any chance of any type of residency.

I agree. The man was unfairly imprisoned.

Laura K

I agree. The man was unfairly imprisoned.

Laura K

Laura,

I must disagree although I do not know the origination of the charge against this man nor the evidence presented at his trial.

I have been unable to find it. If someone has it, it would be very instructive to know.

The man himself never spends any time protesting his innocence of the actual charges or even explaining them. In fact just the opposite (see further down).

That silence makes him much less than sympathetic.

Why he came to Costa Rica and under what guise is not the root, although that is unexplained as well.

I do think that there is a little chance that Interpol would have spent what must have been considerable resources to apprend him without the charges being more serious than a couple of ounces of coke passed among friends.

It also seems strange that the Wyoming US Attorney would press Interpol for their services unless there was something non-trivial at issue.

And I absolutely know that there are corrupt prosecutors and political climbers that will misuse the office to persecute an individual but that does not make the accused innocent.

I did find this; purported to be the author's self-bio:

"My name is William Freeman and after over 30 years in the drug business and 9 years on the run in Costa Rica I was turned in by a DEA paid informant and arrested by Interpol and Extradited to the United States even though I had won the extradition in the Costa Rica Supreme court."

Read: The Costa Rica Extradition After 9 Years on the Run

By: William Freeman | 08/01/2007 | Non-Fiction

If I were a Costa Rican judge, I would be concerned that an individual had entered my country for the purpose of evading a trial based on the evidence of long-time drug distribution. I would not want him setting up shop in my country either.

Seems Costa Rica decided, after some deliberation, that it did not want him in their country.

I think they were right.