revealrealestate

Real estate trends Costa Rica

i must be one of a few people that want to move to costa rica, but do not want to buy real estate. i would think that a person would not want the respondability of ownership. i just want to be carefree and live my carefree. and be able to pickup and move whenever i'd like, but thats me, later, paul.

Paul,

Here's one person who agrees with you.

With the rental laws favoring the tenant I cannot see why so many people feel an almost desperate need to sink their equity into property. Someone pointed out a while back that they could sell out back home and pop the money into a bank instrument and with the interest alone be able to rent a very nice place in CR and leave their principal intact. Of course that may be somewhat moderated in today's economy but it still should be doable.

I somewhat suspect that the need to be propertied may be a cultural thing. Perhaps in the back of our gringo minds we feel that to not be propertied is to be poor.

But I feel that by renting one is not forced to directly shoulder the need for upkeep on the dwelling, for just one thing. Nor am I locked by ownership into an area or neighborhood where problems or annoyances exist or eventually develop, since if they do and I am renting, I can simply and easily find another place.

Now, to give the other side the podium, I would be interested to hear from Forums members as to their reasons/need/desires for wanting to buy a house instead of renting, even though the rental laws in CR so greatly favor the tenant.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

HA, HA, HA, Let the blood bath begin. 200K you say? ummm, did anyone tell you this is Latin America? Prices are different here.

I've got 35K that I would be happy to give you for one of those units. Seems about right to me. You gotta love the law of supply and demand........

NO, I can't see spending 35K to have a place in Jaco. I could do about 15K on the high side after all it is the arm-pit of Costa Rica. They will be trying to sell the Jaco over stock off for the next 20 years.

NO, I can't see spending 35K to have a place in Jaco. I could do about 15K on the high side after all it is the arm-pit of Costa Rica. They will be trying to sell the Jaco over stock off for the next 20 years.

I don't know about calling it the arm-pit. Have you ever been to Uruca, Leon XIII, Alejuelita or Cristo Rey???? If Jaco is as bad as it gets in Costa Rica, then I'd say that's pretty good. I personally believe Jaco is experiencing growing pains at this time and in another 10 years or so it might turn into something nice. Heck they even just turned a swamp area into a quaint little park for the prostitutes to work in at night.

Yes, I go to Cristo Rey about twice a month and have been very involved in the new building there. I have spent time in Alejuelita and Uruca as well and would have lunch and a cold one in any of them over Jaco. I also think I have a much lower risk of crime in the hoods of San Jose than Jaco. Jaco is a Gringo created town with no history of its own, it was nothing more than a surfing beach 25 years ago. There are no families just overpriced Gringo food, shopping, bars, drugs, ladies of the night and a very sad beach that is so full of sewer I will not let my kids swim there. From where I sit it is as bad as Costa Rica can get.

Edited by sabo941

Yes, I go to Cristo Rey about twice a month and have been very involved in the new building there. I have spent time in Alejuelita and Uruca as well and would have lunch and a cold one in any of them over Jaco. I also think I have a much lower risk of crime in the hoods of San Jose than Jaco. Jaco is a Gringo created town with no history of its own, it was nothing more than a surfing beach 25 years ago. There are no families just overpriced Gringo food, shopping, bars, drugs, ladies of the night and a very sad beach that is so full of sewer I will not let my kids swim there. From where I sit it is as bad as Costa Rica can get.

I can definitely understand why you don't like Jaco, but I still have faith that it will evolve into something better in the future. They just built too much too fast and the shanty towns along the rivers helped cause Mr. Hanky issues in the water. The beach in Puntarenas was once contaminated also but they cleaned it up, and that town still looks much worse on the surface in my opinion. Would you feel more comfortable walking alone in the madrugada down the street in Jaco or one of the ghettos I mentioned earlier with the exception of Uruca. After all, you would probably die from car exhaust asphyxiation in Uruca before a thief catches up with you anyhow. If Jaco is the armpit, then the ghettos of San Jose must be the culito. And for the record, I wouldn't touch the water in Jaco either.