The OSA situation and the Int. Airport

Does anyone know what the gov´t is going to end up doing with all that land bought up around the Osa (like Matapalo for instance) It seems that topic is always in the air and that zoning isn´t set in stone. Also what was all tha hype about the new Int. Airport in Palmar Sur. Will that happen. Does anyone know the facts on that. thanks

j

Hello, All that land around Matapalo is Corcovado National park and the Gulfo Dulce Forrestral Reserve. Two thirds of the Osa. I have never heard of anything being up in the air about this. It is protected from logging, gold mining and poaching of wildlife. If anything, they will be enlarging the protected area. In fact there are several groups that are fighting to have the whole Osa declared protected, so that the developers will go away forever. So far so good!! As far as the new southern airport.......things get built on cost rica time, not our time. With tourism decreasing, who knows??

With tourism decreasing, who knows??

Airlines have been adding flights, not eliminating them to Costa Rica. I have been watching the fights to CR over the holidays and rates are high and seats are few. Costa Rica is considered a value destination so it is not getting hit as hard as other places like Hawaii for instance.

Of course we will have more meaningful numbers when we get into Jan and Feb, but so far so good with the data that has come in up to thins point.

Still I wouldn't hold your breath on the airport. It is sort like the new road to Jaco. They like to talk about things for 20 years before they actually do anything.

Edited by Kahuna

China,

That is what Ive been hearing about that area but every time I go to Matapalo somebody is building something else. Something simple though, not developing. I guess that area was found a ways back and people built nice simple things and basically are just enjoying life until somebody rips it down like Playa Guapil near Dominical. I agree with you that that whole area should be cut off from any development but I´m just curious to know if the mayor of Osa has any facts on what there plan is.

j

The Osa peninsula is divided between two cantons. Osa and Golfito.

Osa which runs from Dominical to half or the peninsula has started cracking down on some developments. Some more needs to be done on illegal activity though. Some articles were run in AM Costa Rica within the past few months

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know what the gov´t is going to end up doing with all that land bought up around the Osa (like Matapalo for instance) It seems that topic is always in the air and that zoning isn´t set in stone. Also what was all tha hype about the new Int. Airport in Palmar Sur. Will that happen. Does anyone know the facts on that. thanks

j

Last year the CR gov admitted that they did not have the money for the ""international" airport at this time. The newest airport in the area will be a regional one instead.