I, too, have been searching far and wide for coconut oil. It was the oil I used for cooking in the U.S. It has become very popular for its health benefits. The nurse here may be confusing unrefined coconut oil with refined, I am not sure, but it is a very healthy oil. I use EVOO for salads but coco oil for everything else. I found a small jar of coconut oil at Bio Salud in Multi Plaza that had a label with very limited info, and did not appear to be virgin. It was a beige color and quite spendy for the size. I plan to return to CR in late Jan and was thinking about bringing some very large tubs of virgin coconut oil to distribute in jars to individuals here. The oil itself lasts about 2 years. I would love to open a health food store here but that is a pipe dream for me. The health food stores here are a joke.

1I am uncertain what my friend's understanding of the oil was either. He is more spiritual than educated and seems to be a good mix for NC. It is said no evidence in hand that there are more churches in NC per population than any other state in the Union.

2) I know that coconut oil is made in Limon area. It maybe easier to have some " organic coconut oil" made in country than trying to ship it in. I guess my belief that it spoils quickly is not correct. It smells like it did not keep.

Ed

I tend to get a little prickly when I read something like "The health food stores here are a joke."

Of course, this is your opinion, cr4summer, and you are entitled to it. But what I find - with some bits of research and looking around - is that all my needs are met by the various stores I visit. I am often surprised at the amazing number of products at the one I frequent more often. It's just a little "hole in the wall" store with no fancy lighting, no "new fad" junk that people spend money on for a few weeks, no big aisles of supplements and powders for weight lifters, not a gazillion useless products designed solely to extract something from your wallet. And sometimes they will smile and say to me, "Sorry - I'm all out of that - it will be here on Friday."

The stores I visit have an excellent basic set of supplements, some of which are unique to Costa Rica. In addition, they have lotions, potions, creams of all sorts as well as some food items.

To me, this is another example of comparing bananas and oranges. Simplify. Get down to basics. That's kind of the mode of living in most of Costa Rica.

" I plan to return to CR in late Jan and was thinking about bringing some very large tubs of virgin coconut oil to distribute in jars to individuals here. "

First, check with customs to make sure its not on the forbidden list, or it could b seized at the airport.

If you follow the Paleo diet you'll find that Coconut oil is a main stay for cooking. Organic coconut oil is suppose to be the healthest oil. They say to never cook with olive oil.

Who is "they?"

I have lived a long time and have seen a whole lot of fads come and go - including food fads. Last year, acai berries; this year coconut oil; next year ??

I wonder if all those people in countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea know that they should not be cooking with olive oil?

They say to never cook with olive oil.

Excellent point Eleanor ..... Maddie may indeed be right but it opens up the whole quote for rebuttal if the poster does not include their source of reference information. Of course that could just get worse since many "experts" do not tend to agree.

Several comments here: For one, coconut oil benefits are not a food fad, nor are they a new discovery. I started reading/hearing about coconut oil 15 years ago, at least. As for Acai, it is a fairly new discovery, but that does not make it a food fad. It evidently has a very high level of antioxidants. There are probably a lot of things out there in the jungles, oceans, forests, etc. with incredible health benefits waiting to be discovered. That does not mean that when they come on the market they are fads.

As for the word "experts", that can be compared to the word "they" in this context. Who are the "experts"? Who are "they"? And using the word experts to indicate nutritionists and medical professionals does not indicate that they necessarily are up to date, since many are leaning on what they learned in school and don't keep up with new developments, discoveries, studies, etc.

Now, does anyone know where I can buy coconut oil? lol

Shea - if you have been looking at the benefits of coconut oil for that long -- have you used it? I haven't and now I am really curious. What is it like? Does it smell like coconut? What does it taste like? Is it clear; light or some color? Does it hold up to high heat? All this talk about coconut oil makes me want to go out and try it just to see what it's about!

While I agree with you about the value of "alternative" or natural treatments or supplements, there's a whole segment of that market that is aimed at the newest fad and many of these products have been proved not to be what they are advertised. There's a big difference between the "tried and true" and the "fix you right up for pennies a day!" kinds of things. Basically, there are already herbals available for any condition or for general good health that have been proven over the years.

"The United States Food and Drug Administration,[2],World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5] American Dietetic Association,[6] American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] andDietitians of Canada[6] recommend against the consumption of significant amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat."

I went to all the links and found hardly any of them condemning coconut oil. The FDA says they have no evidence that it is bad for your health. Could you be more precise in your links?

What was posted was the entry in Wikipedia about coconut oil which shows the number of health organizations that discourage the use of too much coconut oil because of saturated fat.

You can also read a bit further down and see this: "...

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid, a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol[21] that is also found in significant amounts in breast milk and sebaceous gland secretions.[22] This may create a more favourable blood cholesterol profile, though it is unclear if coconut oil may promote atherosclerosis through other pathways.[21] Because much of the saturated fat of coconut oil is in the form of lauric acid, coconut oil may be a better alternative to partially hydrogenated vegetable oil when solid fats are required.[23] In addition, virgin coconut oil is composed mainly of medium-chain triglycerides,[24] which may not carry the same risks as other saturated fats.[23][25] Early studies on the health effects of coconut oil used partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which creates trans fats, and not virgin coconut oil, which has a different health risk profile.[26]

A repellent made from coconut oil can be used to prevent tungiasis-causing sand fleas from invading the body.[27]..."

I especially like that last line - using coconut oil as a repellent against sand fleas!

i would just repeat what has been said before: Do your own research and make up your own mind.

Edited by eleanorcr

Trader Joes has organic virgin coconut oil about $5.00 a pint. I am okay with saying coconut oil maybe okay to use, but saying that organic, virgin oil is better, how do you prove that the oil is either. I sure would not take USDA word for it.

Ed