• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
rpiercy

PLEASE SEND EMAIL

39 posts in this topic

Thank you, Ryan, for your continued efforts on our behalf. I have sent (my own version) of the email you suggested - changing it somewhat so as to not be lumped into a batch of SPAM. Hopefully the full email boxes will have cleared out a bit now, and it will get through. I know you say that the proposed change "should not" affect those of us who are already Temporary Residents or in process, but the wordage I read does not seem to support that, so I am still somewhat nervous about our status as Pensionados.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Linda McEnerny

Your Immediate Attention Invited: Immigration Reform - Survey of Current Residents & Prospective Residents

The Legislative Assembly is now considering proposed changes to Costa Rica's immigration law. Two troubling highlights for the categories that most ex-pats use are that the pensionado visa will move from $600 per month to $2,000 and the rentista from $1,000 to $5,000 per month. The current proposed legislature does not grandfather current residents.

The Costa Rican Legislative Assembly does not have the substantial research resources or staff support. The legislative proposal that may adversely affect many of us in not based upon a statistical study of ex-pat incomes or resources. The objective of this survey is to provide the Assembly with an empirical basis for setting a financial basis for rentistas and pensionados. We are hopeful that provided with accurate information existing residents will be grandfathered with any legislative change.

This survey is an outgrowth of hard work by several Atenas residents and their counsel who have been meeting with Assembly members. Your participation is invited and will be very helpful in gathering meaningful information for the Assembly’s consideration.

To participate (and please do), click on: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=0_2b..._2bK_2frA_3d_3d

Peter,

I don't know if you saw the reportage in AM Costa Rica a couple weeks ago, but some concerned expats, via an attorney they have engaged, petitioned the CR legislature, making them aware of the upper limits of the average US Social Security monthly payment, which is around $1,100 to $1,200 per month. Those legislators said that they were unaware of those limits and were reported as saying they would consider reducing those amounts in the language of the proposed law.

It might be useful to visit AM CR and do a brief search for this topic, which appeared in their 'Letters To The Editor".

In any event, the language that this proposed law started out with is not likely to be the language that we will end up with, the monthly required amounts for residency, included.

Fingers X-ed,

Paul M.

==

All-

I have receive several favorable comments on the survey and they are appreciated.

Some you have pointed out that many friends are not subscribers to ARCR and ask whether the survey should be forwarded. The answer is ABSOLUTELY. The survey grows more credible with each response.

The long URL has caused a problem for some. Thankfully, Dan (a/k/a Black Dan) has created a "tiny URL". Thus, the Survey can be more readily accessed at: http://tinyurl.com/8wz2gk

To date there are 140 responses in the first 12 hours. Way to go!

Thanks for your submissions and please encourage your ex-pat neighbors and friends to do so.

Saludos,

Peter

P.S. to Paul M. - Thanks for your comment. Actually, I was the culprit that brought the average Social Security check to the attention of counsel. That said, the Assembly members were more impressed (and informed?) with the quick local survey of Atenas expats. Thus, the survey that I created with input from the group's CR counsel.

rochen in alaska. I would like to know when this issue will come up for a vote. We are looking to put an offer in on a house but can not do so until this is settled. We are also wondering if you file for temp residence now will that get you in under current law. If anyone has a answer please send e-mail to rochen@mtaonline.net or post.

rochen in alaska. I would like to know when this issue will come up for a vote. We are looking to put an offer in on a house but can not do so until this is settled. We are also wondering if you file for temp residence now will that get you in under current law. If anyone has a answer please send e-mail to rochen@mtaonline.net or post.

the first proposal I read about claimed it would not give amnesty to those already with status or those processing -- everything is subject to change as these were just outlines/proposals

i have been watching the residency issues in CR for about a decade now and they seem to come up with these insane proposals from time to time -- after an uproar and rush of filings things usually settle down and the issue is either shelved or changed to something reasonable and responsible -- while CR would love to have the French Riviera relocated to it's shore (and the corresponding wealth) it just isn't going to happen -- it takes a certain (generally laid back good character) type to want to live and make a stay of CR and no amount of meddling is going to change that -- CR's love affair with the Robin Leach Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous sort may well be over with this eco collapse and the legislature will likely figure that out and put an end to this -- they may even get smart and propose something like a Belize style system or a 6month or 1 year 'visa' or residents visa etc.

having no protection for those who are already residents and those processing is really crazy !

Edited by DogMan

... i have been watching the residency issues in CR ... they may even get smart and propose something like a Belize style system or a 6month or 1 year 'visa' or residents visa etc.

Hi DogMan,

Just wondering if you have a link to anything about the Belize system that you mention above.

... having no protection for those who are already residents and those processing is really crazy !

Well, there is protection and that's the 'grandfathering-in' that covers people who already have their residency finalized. Laws that are passed cannot then be applied retroactively unless something in the law improves upon or mitigates problems or aspects of an earlier law or regulation.

For example, there are folks (Pensionados) who came to CR and applied for and were granted residency 30 years back when the monthly required permanent income to qualify was only $300. Those remaining Pensionados from that era are still required to have only a $300 per month income, even though the residency laws have changed twice since they were approved so long ago.

But you are right. It would be nice were cooler heads to prevail in CR at the inception when proposing a law. It gets everyone unnecessarily in a tzimmis when such a law is first published. Hmmm... Being a non-confrontational culture, maybe that's one of the few ways they have to 'get at' a lot of people in a way that they wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Just pondering here...

Paul M.

==

UPDATE: see post further dwn...

Hello, I am not so sure that the new laws would not be such a great idea. All ready there are many Ex pat's there and I do believe that because of that the cost of living has gone so high that many Tico'scan not afford to live a decent life style. I for one with Soc Sec and Military Pension make way more then the new laws are looking for. I have already started my residency papers when I was there last month. I will also be moving there to retire this May. Also have my Corp set up. So just my opinion let them raise the limits. $600 is just not enough it should be at least $1000 to $2000 in my opinion. Maybe someone can explain why they should not raise it other then to say, "because". Ron USCG Ret

Good Morning All,

I think sending Javier Zavaleta's suggested email is CRITICAL. He and I spoke about this idea last week, and he forwarded the draft to us as well. Understand that this law should NOT affect those that already live here with residency, nor those in process under the current law. However these amounts could affect the possibility of others arriving, and would affect the future of the economy negatively.

I am trying to call a Press Conference, and we will be going straight to the legislature to see what can be done. This is the SAME fight we had 4 years ago, and I still have the data we need to try and correct this, BUT WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT

Sincerely yours

Ryan Piercy

www.arcr.net

email to

ocorrales@asamblea.go.cr; squesada@asamblea.go.cr;unez@asamblea.go.cr; lvillaloboss@asamblea.go.cr; asalom@asamblea.go.cr; mnuneza@asamblea.go.cr; ggonzalezb@asamblea.go.cr; efonseca@asamblea.go.cr; jmerino@asamblea.go.cr; fpacheco@asamblea.go.cr

Well , for one i dont think they should raise it because not everyone that come's there can start up a business. Im 31 and my mom was looking in to retire there too I take care of my dad, he has had some medical . I would like to come to, if im not going with her she will not go, and im sure it take a while to get a job there. If i can work there at all. My mom has ran her own bakeries, and was looking into possibly starting one up, or even a restaurant. The laws are strict on owners that have businesses. If my mom wanted to open one, could she teach her employees how to make the cakes and decorate them?. I know its kinda off on the subject. So if it was 2000 a month for one and 5000 for another, Americans like me, and my mom would not be able to come to a place that is nice. Not that America is not, but the upper class and money grubbing people have screwed the housing market and the economic system up so bad, that our own country no fault of (mine nor my moms). People have used their CC so much and out themselves into dept, plus the job loss in America ,and in turn makes people not to be able to pay the CC bills and their house payments.What about people that made their payments and stay on top of things. Its a bad situation all the way around for those of us that have taken care of our affairs AND HAVE KEPT AFLOAT. But for another country to basically block out sliders from coming by raising the entry amount is wrong.HHMM, COULD YOU SEE AMERICA DOING THAT? I know its like that in Canada is like Cr, you have to have 250k in the bank to move there. But i think they should keep in the same..

thank you...

Yes, she could open and run the bakery, but not perform the work. She can teach workers the 'how to's'. There are many bakeries here that offer decorated cakes as most Tico's love cakes and celebrate family birthdays but don't have ovens to make their own.

Our workers wife has a commercial oven in their home on the farm here, and she bakes and sells 'empanadas' to local businesses who resell them, everyday.

We also know a French man who makes and sells croissants to hotels in his area.

Hi I am new to the site. Several years ago I started making plans to retire in CR. Now with the new laws that will be taking effect I will not be able to do so. I don't gross $2ooo/mo working let alone in retierment. With what has happened to the stock market here many people are coming out of retierment to work part time. About one third of these people I meet talk about moving some place they can afford. They tell me don't get old or to quite my job now and go have fun because I will be working for the rest of my life here in the USA, so what dose it matter if I go out on job interviews at 70 years of age. I pray that things will not change for entry into CR. You have more insentive for us to go to CR instead of staying in the US. The babyboomer generation may retire but they will stay busy with volentiering and start up businesses. They may get a max. S.S. $1400-$1600 if they flew air planes. Everyones pension is in jepordy in the US, (for those that have one, down to 11% of US companies offering one) the rules for Roth IRA may change too and we will get tax on accounts that were designed to be taxed on the front end not the back end. People are who are 10 to 20 years from retierment are looking for an escape plan. Your county is most desirable, I have 10 to 12 years before I could stay in CR longterm. I will stop rambling does anyone have any advice?

Hi I am new to the site. Several years ago I started making plans to retire in CR. Now with the new laws that will be taking effect I will not be able to do so. I don't gross $2ooo/mo working let alone in retierment. With what has happened to the stock market here many people are coming out of retierment to work part time. About one third of these people I meet talk about moving some place they can afford. They tell me don't get old or to quite my job now and go have fun because I will be working for the rest of my life here in the USA, so what dose it matter if I go out on job interviews at 70 years of age. I pray that things will not change for entry into CR. You have more insentive for us to go to CR instead of staying in the US. The babyboomer generation may retire but they will stay busy with volentiering and start up businesses. They may get a max. S.S. $1400-$1600 if they flew air planes. Everyones pension is in jepordy in the US, (for those that have one, down to 11% of US companies offering one) the rules for Roth IRA may change too and we will get tax on accounts that were designed to be taxed on the front end not the back end. People are who are 10 to 20 years from retierment are looking for an escape plan. Your county is most desirable, I have 10 to 12 years before I could stay in CR longterm. I will stop rambling does anyone have any advice?

New law is not in effect. Contact the ARCR They are the key to all of this for advice etc.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor