Megan and John

But what about renting!?

Hi Shea

We have talked about this. You are listening the the attorney who collects your rent and works for the landlord??? Might there be a conflict of interest here?

As I told you before, they can NOT raise your rent 15% if your contract is in dollars, and you need to confer with YOUR attorney, not your landlord's.

TG

Thanks, TG. Good idea. I don't have an attorney and I'm not sure I can afford one, but I'll look into it.

Shea, you might be surprised at how affordable a CR attorney can be. I don't recall exactly where you are, but we use a lady in Guatuso who is very good, very reasonable, and very nice person besides!

Hi Shea

We have talked about this. You are listening the the attorney who collects your rent and works for the landlord??? Might there be a conflict of interest here?

As I told you before, they can NOT raise your rent 15% if your contract is in dollars, and you need to confer with YOUR attorney, not your landlord's.

TG

When I first moved into my Santa Ana Apartment in the Year 2000 I signed a contract in which I pay in US Dollars. In January, 2006 I moved into another apartment which the same landlord owns on the other side of the street. The landlord and I made an informal agreement on the rent for the new apartment which is in dollars. I did not sign another rental contract. He did raise my rent in August, 2007 due to added costs for cable TV.

Question, is the contract that we signed in the Year 2000 still in effect or did it terminate when I moved out of my "old" apartment in the Year 2006?

Wow, Megan and John. Did you ever think your simple question would generate all this? As you can see, expats come in all sizes and shapes and with all kinds of lifestyles. I think you can pick enough information out of the morass to serve your needs. Hope all goes well with you.

Eleanor

Hi Shea

TG

Hi, I am looking for a small room in a house somewhere near San Jose for my lady friend until I can get moved down there in June or July. Nothing fancy but clean and with some furniture. and kitchen priveliges and bathroom. Hopefully for about $100 to $150 per month. Any one know of such a place. My lady friend is very clean and quiet. Ron

Hi, I have gone to rent.co.cr web site but none of the links open, can not search listings, and the Skype phone number is not valid. If someone can put them in touch with me that would be great. alves_ron@yahoo.com Thank you Ron USCG Ret