The most important thing I learned about my 10 years of research on CR is that most of what I thought I learned turned out to be dead wrong. Most especially the stuff in all these dozen or so of books on CR on my shelf.

Like the old Bahamian woman told me as a kid "Believe none of what you read and half of what you see".

Yeah, I obsessed too, but that's what I do.

Like the old Bahamian woman told me as a kid "Believe none of what you read and half of what you see".

MiamiDavid,

Too bad the books about Costa Rica aren't as accurate as they should be.

The reason why one should visit where they want to live as often as possible.

I hope the required income for expatriates will not go up too much.

Laura,

I find your posts to be both informetive and enjoyable. The National Anthem post was a great one, at least for me.

Keep asking questions and sharing as others benefit from your efforts.

Thanks!

ed f

Laura,

I find your posts to be both informetive and enjoyable. The National Anthem post was a great one, at least for me.

Keep asking questions and sharing as others benefit from your efforts.

Thanks!

ed f

Ed,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm glad you love the National Anthem of Costa Rica as much as I do.

Nice to know that others benefit from my questions.

Energy, I don't know who you think you are, but no matter how badly you view me or my posts, there is no call for your sophomoric, childish, and offensive remarks. You do not know me, and you do not know anything about me, and you most especially do not know how wrong you are about me. I would suggest that you read the rules of this forum very carefully before you launch future attacks against others on the forum, because I think you have crossed the line here.

fyi, the photo/.gif of me is from a trip to Costa Rica in 2007, and that beer in question happens to be a Bavaria.......pura vida

Edited by jdocop

JDIdiot prides himself in knocking down others from his chair there in Texas, sipping his Budmoron. He does not even live here. Don't listen to him. He is a Psycho internet moron who lives his life vicariously thru those who have actually lived in Central America and elsewhere in the world. Mostly, he repeats what others have posted, right or wrong. Your questions are legitimate and the legitimate answers provided may undoubtably contribute to your thought process as well as others who are planning long range. Damn internet junkies. They seem to like to ruin it for everyone. Ingratiate their own egos.

JDO doesn't need anyone else to defend him; he ably does it himself. I've read his posts on several Costa Rican forums now for several years. By his own admission, sometimes he can be...abrupt. However, he is quite respectful in his reply to Laura, and does say that it is just his opinion. Last time I looked, there are no rules about disagreeing with someone, when it is done with respect for the other party's opinion. Your ad hominem attack on JDO says far more about you than it does about JDO.

I know that he and I don't share the same viewpoint on all things Tico, but I'd happily share opposing views with him whilst sharing a six pack of Bavaria. Or Pilsen. Or Imperial..

Jim P

Most of the time I love these forums. Learn from others, find enlightenment and amusement, widen my perspective-----

Laura, keep it up, dream and hope for the future----

JDO, you keep us grounded and closer to reality, I appreciate your comments.

Energy, chill out and have fun with it, life's too short.

ed f

and that beer in question happens to be a Bavaria.......pura vida

Bavaria??? It's now proven by your own admission that your judgment must be questioned . . .

The most important thing I learned about my 10 years of research on CR is that most of what I thought I learned turned out to be dead wrong. Most especially the stuff in all these dozen or so of books on CR on my shelf.

Yeah, I obsessed too, but that's what I do.

I don't agree with the Bahamian woman since I actually learn a lot from books, but I have to agree with MiamiDavid on this specific point. The stuff you read about CR needs to be taken with a GIANT grain of salt. Some of the books are transparently written with an eye toward making CR seem super for gringos who basically want to live in Southern California for a fraction of the cost, and I suppose that is what sells the books. Internet stuff can be posted by ANYBODY, and often is. And let's not forget that A LOT of these postings are by wash-out failures in the US who are trying to make a buck (YOUR BUCK) from CR. I mean, how hard is it to sell real estate in CR where there aren't even laws licensing agents? My goodness, one outfit that posts routinely on another site is always offering "usefull" real estate advice. I don't mean to be a stickler, but if you can't spell "useful" I have to wonder how you graduated from the 8th grade--yet that doesn't seem to be a requirement for selling million-dollar properties. And, if ever there were a country where wealthy people aren't necessarily well-informed, this is it! If you have enough money, it compensates for your being an ignoramus. This is a "buyer beware" country for a fact when it comes to reading gringo "advice."

For what it's worth, I find the ARCR forums pretty decent. Paul (Is he on the payroll?) almost always gives good advice, and while Ryan holds his cards close to his vest, when he says something it is usually sound. The same goes for many others, although not all. But yeah, life is very different here, at least inside the culture, than you read it is.

Of course, if you want to believe the stuff about this being "paradise" as long as you live in an overpriced house in a gated community somewhere near Escazú protected by security guards, you'll be fine until you discover that one of your security guards has orchestrated the burglary of your house.

BTW, it is a great society. It's just more complicated than what you usually read.