My husband and I are planning on moving to Costa Rica and living there year round with our 6 year old son (not sure exactly where in Costa Rica at this time) August 2013 when our son is 11.

We are curious about how to prepare for the move to Costa Rica on a year by year basis.

How should we prepare for the move to Costa Rica in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013? Suggestions on how to prepare for the move to Costa Rica in 2008 are welcome even though 2008 is almost over.

We are preparing for the move to Costa Rica now by doing research, learning Spanish, and visiting Costa Rica. The next visit to Costa Rica will be February 2009. This will be our 3rd visit to Costa Rica since 2007.

I will attend the ARCR seminar February 2009.

We are ARCR members but I would like preparation information before I attend the ARCR seminar.

Right now, we plan on renting out our house and we plan to rent when we first move to Costa Rica.

Feel free to share which places in Costa Rica you think are good for living year round.

We have visited the Guanacaste area (going to visit the Guanacaste area again the same time we visit the Central Valley) and will visit the Central Valley February 2009. B)

Edited by Laura K

Feel free to share which places in Costa Rica you think are good for living year round.

My good-for-living places are not going to be the same as your good-for-living places. I suggest reading more books on the various areas.

For instance, I live in Atenas, which is supposed to have "the best climate in the world." I think it's hot and way too humid. Others don't find it to be humid at all. Will you have a car? There's little shopping here in Atenas and I have to go to Alajuela or Escazu to find groceries, and I still haven't figured out where to buy clothing, since I like to wear clothing that covers at least part of me. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much crime here, so I feel safe.

You really need to decide what is important to you. If you want to see wildlife around you, that's different from wanting to be near arts and cultural events. So much to consider, and some of the good books available will address these issues. Other than that, just come down here and investigate in person, renting on a short-term so you can move around. Don't bring all your stuff until you know where you want to land.

LAURA,

1: I would want to learn some Spanish before making the move. The books about Costa Rica have at least a chapter each listing language schools. These schools can be found in most regions of the country, urban and rural. They all make home-stays available and you can e-mail or telephone to find homes that can accomodate 2 adults and a child. That way you can learn some language, your son can become nearly fluent if the home-stay family has a child of his age, and you can experiment with the life style at the beach, in the city or on a mountain. Half of each day and the weekends would be free to conduct other research.

Good Luck;

AnneLise

... I will attend the ARCR seminar February 2009. We are ARCR members but I would like preparation information before I attend the ARCR seminar.

Hola Laura,

Generally speaking the others gave useful advice for you for how to plan ahead for your move: Read, read, read. And do whatever you can wihle still there where your are now to learn Spanish. There are many online options and also purchasable computer study courses for that, so... Study, study, study.

And I know you are doing the above, so good for you. Just keep at it.

As for attending the ARCR Seminar, the first day is mostly about Moving to Costa Rica. The second day covers Living in Costa Rica. You can go to the top of this page and click on Calendar in the upper right and then look towards the end of the month where the Seminar is listed. Click on either of the two entries for it and it will open up some info about some of the topics that will be covered.

Now my advice here is to look at those topics and start writing down questions that you have about them. Also any other questions about moving to or living in CR. Buy a yellow legal pad and write all the questions you have on it and take it with you to the Seminar. Leave space to jot in the answers. Take the whole pad with you; you will have more questions, some of them sparked by the other attendees there. You will want something to be able to write all that stuff down on and there won't be enough paper there, just a few handouts.

I've been to the Seminar so far five times. (Apparently that is approaching some sort of record.) That has been spread over six years' time. But what has impressed me is that I learned something new each time, as the information is constantly updated, or the attendees ask things that I had never thought of asking. So it wasn't like sitting thru the exact same thing over and over again.

But the most important thing I would say, is to go prepared to ask questions and that you have those questions written down so you won't forget to ask them. You can keep the pad handy somewhere and write new stuff down on it up 'til the time you go to CR. Then be sure to not forget to take the pad to the Seminar!

¡Puras Preguntas!

Paul M.

==

I have another point for your to consider, Laura: I think you need to chill. You have been obsessing about this proposed move for nearly two years (that I know of), and it looks like you are still at least five years away from being able to make it happen. That, imho, is way too much time. Too many things can happen between now and then to totally change your mind, or your goals, or even your ability to make this happen. I would suggest to you that, in the event that something major was to occur to stymie your achievement of your goal, that could totally discombobulate your life, or worse.

I think the best preparation for you is to back off (yes, learn Spanish), take your occasional vacation trips to CR, and save your money. But, seriously, you need to stop obsessing.

My good-for-living places are not going to be the same as your good-for-living places. I suggest reading more books on the various areas.

Shea,

I realize that my opinion may be different from other people about where to live but it doesn't hurt to hear the opinions of others, anyway.

Thank you for telling me about Atenas.

Yes, we will have a car.

I will continue to read about other places in Costa Rica.

Not bring too many belongings at one time is great advice. Thank you.

Edited by Laura K

I have another point for your to consider, Laura: I think you need to chill. You have been obsessing about this proposed move for nearly two years (that I know of), and it looks like you are still at least five years away from being able to make it happen. That, imho, is way too much time. Too many things can happen between now and then to totally change your mind, or your goals, or even your ability to make this happen. I would suggest to you that, in the event that something major was to occur to stymie your achievement of your goal, that could totally discombobulate your life, or worse.

I think the best preparation for you is to back off (yes, learn Spanish), take your occasional vacation trips to CR, and save your money. But, seriously, you need to stop obsessing.

jdocop,

I realize things can change in five years. From personal experience, I know that things can change when just trying to move to a another city or state in the USA.

It's a shame that what I think is research is interpreted as obsession.

What I hope is you don't think I'm a bad person just because you think I'm obsessing.

Most people are criticized for not taking enough time to prepare. I get criticized for preparing too soon. Go figure.

If there is a middle ground, please tell me what it is.

Laura in this instance, I am totally in agreement with jdocop :o

We don't want to be rude, but just enjoy your life and your family where you are presently living.

costaricafinca,

I do enjoy my life here and my family.

I'm happy to say my family doesn't think I'm obsessed and they don't feel neglected by me.

Doesn't research take time? I thought it did. Oh, well.

Yes, I'm a happy, well adjusted person. Being an active member on this forum doesn't change that fact.

I'm just asking sincere questions that come to mind.

And I know you are doing the above, so good for you. Just keep at it.

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your support.

I will write down questions and brings lot of paper and even some pens. I don't want to run out of paper or ink.

For what it's worth, I don't think attending the ARCR seminar five times is obsessive...I think it's very smart.

If I attend the ARCR seminar only once, I'll be happy.

I will look at the details of the ARCR seminar subjects on this Forum.

LAURA,

1: I would want to learn some Spanish before making the move. The books about Costa Rica have at least a chapter each listing language schools. These schools can be found in most regions of the country, urban and rural. They all make home-stays available and you can e-mail or telephone to find homes that can accomodate 2 adults and a child. That way you can learn some language, your son can become nearly fluent if the home-stay family has a child of his age, and you can experiment with the life style at the beach, in the city or on a mountain. Half of each day and the weekends would be free to conduct other research.

Good Luck;

AnneLise

Annelise,

I am taking Spanish class at a language school close to where I live and have been since September 1st.

Homestay is a great idea. Good way to get to know people.

Thanks for the suggestion.

... It's a shame that what I think is research is interpreted as obsession.

... Most people are criticized for not taking enough time to prepare. I get criticized for preparing too soon. Go figure.

Laura,

Don't let the turkeys* get you down? I started researching CR way back in '91 or thereabouts. So, when should one start researching? -That's a perfectly good question, for instance...

In '91 I got to spend a month in CR and the reason was to see the big eclipse of that year. Since I had a whole month there (my longest visit to date up until that time) I decided to 'play at' being retired 1] to see if I could afford it and, 2] to see if I liked it. At the end of the month I saw that I could, on both counts. Plus being 20 years into a 30 year tenure with the State of Florida University System it was looking like I was actually going to retire with a reasonable pension that would allow me to be a Pensionado in CR eight years before I wold be eligible for my SS$$! And eventually that is what happened, tho maybe not quite as soon as I had expected, but things actually worked out better the way they unfolded.

But from that point (July '91) forward, I studied and read everything that I could about Costa Rica and what I would need to do to retire there. That was 15 years' worth of study. I was still visiting CR during those intervening years and that, too, was equivalent to studying, as I snooped around the Central Valley seeing what places I liked. Oddly enough I never ever went to Alajuela 'til once in '95 but didn't really like it and left after only 30 minutes. Now I really like Alajuela and have an apartment there. Go figure...

So Laura, don't worry about having started researching CR so far in advance. All that information gathering will pay off in the long run. But so will the intervening visits you take there before you can finally move down. Being familiar with CR long before I was able to move there has been a big help in that I don't think I have had any real culture shock, and that's a very good thing.

And you will be glad you have started studying Spanish long before you expect to move south. I hope your hubby is studying it some, too. That way the burden of translating for everyone won't fall solely upon you once you get there permanently. (The kids will pick it up fast, though.)

So keep on keepin' on and the years will fly by faster than you think. My last five years seemed to take forever and then voof! they were suddenly over!

¡Pura Pensionarme!

Paul M.

* Nothing personal JDO, CRF, really!

==

Laura,

Don't let the turkeys* get you down? I started researching CR way back in '91 or thereabouts. So, when should one start researching? -That's a perfectly good question, for instance...

In '91 I got to spend a month in CR and the reason was to see the big eclipse of that year. Since I had a whole month there (my longest visit to date up until that time) I decided to 'play at' being retired 1] to see if I could afford it and, 2] to see if I liked it. At the end of the month I saw that I could, on both counts. Plus being 20 years into a 30 year tenure with the State of Florida University System it was looking like I was actually going to retire with a reasonable pension that would allow me to be a Pensionado in CR eight years before I wold be eligible for my SS$$! And eventually that is what happened, tho maybe not quite as soon as I had expected, but things actually worked out better the way they unfolded.

But from that point (July '91) forward, I studied and read everything that I could about Costa Rica and what I would need to do to retire there. That was 15 years' worth of study. I was still visiting CR during those intervening years and that, too, was equivalent to studying, as I snooped around the Central Valley seeing what places I liked. Oddly enough I never ever went to Alajuela 'til once in '95 but didn't really like it and left after only 30 minutes. Now I really like Alajuela and have an apartment there. Go figure...

So Laura, don't worry about having started researching CR so far in advance. All that information gathering will pay off in the long run. But so will the intervening visits you take there before you can finally move down. Being familiar with CR long before I was able to move there has been a big help in that I don't think I have had any real culture shock, and that's a very good thing.

And you will be glad you have started studying Spanish long before you expect to move south. I hope your hubby is studying it some, too. That way the burden of translating for everyone won't fall solely upon you once you get there permanently. (The kids will pick it up fast, though.)

So keep on keepin' on and the years will fly by faster than you think. My last five years seemed to take forever and then voof! they were suddenly over!

¡Pura Pensionarme!

Paul M.

* Nothing personal JDO, CRF, really!

==

Paul,

I'm glad you told me about how much research you did before moving to Costa Rica. This encourages me to continue doing my research.

My husband is interested in learning Spanish but he'd rather learn it on his own.

I am teaching our 6 year old son Spanish.

Nice to know that doing research in advance is a good thing.

We became interested in Costa Rica in 2006.

Yes, things can change in five years but we won't let us stop us from planning our move to Costa Rica.