I welcome anyone's opinion of the University of Costa Rica: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...DiPa%26pwst%3D1.

Does anyone on this forum attend or work at the University of Costa Rica?

I ask because I have a 6 year old son. You never know: he may decide to attend the University of Costa Rica. He will know Spanish by the time he graduates from high school in 2020.

:)

Edited by Laura K

• 2 weeks later...
I welcome anyone's opinion of the University of Costa Rica: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...DiPa%26pwst%3D1.

Does anyone on this forum attend or work at the University of Costa Rica?

I ask because I have a 6 year old son. You never know: he may decide to attend the University of Costa Rica. He will know Spanish by the time he graduates from high school in 2020.

:)

Yes, I do have an opinion (What's new?), and no I don't work at UCR or anything. I just live here and know people.

By US standards, UCR is about the quality equivalent of a small state university overall. It's not that strong. However, there is a real difference. It is that the upper range at UCR is higher than you would find at a small state university in the US. Basically, anyone from Central America who is anything upstairs ends up at UCR. The alternatives are Mexico and Cuba, then the US or Europe. So the top people at UCR tend to be really good, even as the averages are so-so.

I would have no qualms about UCR therefore. I have more personal qualms about the National University in Heredia. My sense is that it is the same as UCR--so-so averages but some real stars--though it is too blasted small for me. UCR though has the critical mass.

Yes, I do have an opinion (What's new?), and no I don't work at UCR or anything. I just live here and know people.

By US standards, UCR is about the quality equivalent of a small state university overall. It's not that strong. However, there is a real difference. It is that the upper range at UCR is higher than you would find at a small state university in the US. Basically, anyone from Central America who is anything upstairs ends up at UCR. The alternatives are Mexico and Cuba, then the US or Europe. So the top people at UCR tend to be really good, even as the averages are so-so.

I would have no qualms about UCR therefore. I have more personal qualms about the National University in Heredia. My sense is that it is the same as UCR--so-so averages but some real stars--though it is too blasted small for me. UCR though has the critical mass.

UCR sounds like a good university.

I appreciate the information you have given me.

It would be interesting to tour the campus one of these days.

Hi Laura -

we've walked around both (informally, no tour) - certainly interesting, and worth doing!

UN was closed for the summer, so we only saw the outside of buildings and peeked into windows.

UCR was open tho - we took the bus from Alajuela, walked around, ate at the cafeteria, listened in at the music building, walked through the chem and biology buildings... Vibrant!

Julie

Hi Laura -

we've walked around both (informally, no tour) - certainly interesting, and worth doing!

UN was closed for the summer, so we only saw the outside of buildings and peeked into windows.

UCR was open tho - we took the bus from Alajuela, walked around, ate at the cafeteria, listened in at the music building, walked through the chem and biology buildings... Vibrant!

Julie

The collages in Costa Rica sounds very nice.

Sounds as though students get a good education at UCR.

Thanks for the information.