For those of you who already live anywhere in Costa Rica (especially year round), how is living in Costa Rica working out for you?

I hope all is well.

:wub:

Edited by Laura K

For those of you who already live anywhere in Costa Rica (especially year round), how is living in Costa Rica working out for you?

I hope all is well.

:wub:

Hey Laura,

Living in Esparza fulltime with husband, a dog and a kitten, just up the road from Caldera. The past week or so:

Husband built a rain gauge and we have logged in 15 cms in 8 days.

Had 2 electric transformers go out on 2 different occasions due to lightening during this same period. One time, ICE had it working again in 2 hours. The other time 5+ hrs.

Took us a month to find someone to do some machete and weedwacker clearing of our lot that was getting overgrown due to rainfall during rainy season. We have 5000sq.meters. Husband can do mowing and some weedwacking but not on the slopes...Not skilled enough!

Atlas stove blew up in my face, a week ago and we were told we would get a determination from Atlas in 22 days. I am hoping they see their way to give me a new stove since mine was only a year old. The explosion scared the bijesus out of me, cracked some ceramic and grout in my new kitchen, blew windows off their aluminum frames in 4 rooms, and now I am extremely jumpy when the screen door slams shut. Lucky for me my angels were in the hood.

I have had house guests this week, again next week and again mid Sept. I am having to use a rusted 3 burner gas cook top, but it works. Ugly as hell but it works.

Our 4x4 Toyotona FJ60 Landcruiser-gasoline powered, is still for sale, but since gas here is around $4.85 a gal. not too many interested parties even at a steal of an asking price of $3,500. Have received 4 emails of inquiry, but no one has shown up to see it.

We are using an excellent service to find us a smaller more economical car and so far nada. But the woman with the service, is working within a very limited budget, we can only spend $5,000.

Husband is still building a wood fired clay pizza and bread oven. We harvest the clay from the area hillsides. Mix with sand and water and voila...Looking forward to Thanksgiving Pizza. Maybe I will start making pottery at some point.

Our adopted calico is growing and playful.

Our adopted yellow Lab is always hungry and locals call him gordo.

Miss my granddaughters sometimes my heart aches...

That is about it for now. Husband is napping in a hammock out in the rancho, so is Dude our Lab. I am just cheking the posts on ARCR and yahoo CRL.

See ya.

Hey Laura,

Living in Esparza fulltime with husband, a dog and a kitten, just up the road from Caldera. The past week or so:

Had 2 electric transformers go out on 2 different occasions due to lightening during this same period. One time, ICE had it working again in 2 hours. The other time 5+ hrs.

Took us a month to find someone to do some machete and weedwacker clearing of our lot that was getting overgrown due to rainfall during rainy season. We have 5000sq.meters. Husband can do mowing and some weedwacking but not on the slopes...Not skilled enough!

Atlas stove blew up in my face, a week ago and we were told we would get a determination from Atlas in 22 days. I am hoping they see their way to give me a new stove since mine was only a year old. The explosion scared the bijesus out of me, cracked some ceramic and grout in my new kitchen, blew windows off their aluminum frames in 4 rooms, and now I am extremely jumpy when the screen door slams shut. Lucky for me my angels were in the hood.

I have had house guests this week, again next week and again mid Sept. I am having to use a rusted 3 burner gas cook top, but it works. Ugly as hell but it works.

Our 4x4 Toyotona FJ60 Landcruiser-gasoline powered, is still for sale, but since gas here is around $4.85 a gal. not too many interested parties even at a steal of an asking price of $3,500. Have received 4 emails of inquiry, but no one has shown up to see it.

We are using an excellent service to find us a smaller more economical car and so far nada. But the woman with the service, is working within a very limited budget, we can only spend $5,000.

Husband is still building a wood fired clay pizza and bread oven. We harvest the clay from the area hillsides. Mix with sand and water and voila...Looking forward to Thanksgiving Pizza. Maybe I will start making pottery at some point.

That is about it for now. Husband is napping in a hammock out in the rancho, so is Dude our Lab. I am just cheking the posts on ARCR and yahoo CRL.

See ya.

Gringtica2003,

Thank you for sharing your Costa Rica living experience.

Glad that you didn't get hurt when the Atlas stove blew up.

Sorry to hear that you're having some back luck living in Costa Rica. May things get better for you and your husband.

Hopefully, your granddaughters can come and visit you and your husband.

Good luck selling your vehicle.

We plan on living in Costa Rica with our son (now 6) in the year 2013. Somewhere in Costa Rica.

We will visit Costa Rica for a 3rd time in February 2009. I will attend the seminar.

I bet the houseguests enjoy visiting you and your husband in Costa Rica.

Despite some bad luck, do you still enjoy living in Costa Rica?

I hope I can see you one day.

well when we are there for month long stays its awesome. Found two workers from our local church that do our work on the four acres, and they have done an incredible job, while we are there and away. ACH transfer to their accounts each month. we do not have hot water, or AC, but with the constant temp around our area, its really ok. Makes your skin feel good. Each day we go to the river right there on our property and relax , swim, cool off, and visit with local families. I always take extra fruit and eggs to the local lady that owns the soda right down the road. i hand wash our clothes and like line dried. We put a line under the roof too, in case of week long rain. Which we have seen. :D Good time for us to sit back and watch the rain, lots of birds, and just enjoy Costa Rica. Hubby is always finding something to do. Fixing to rebuild our outdoor kitchen real soon. Hey GRINGA TICA if we weret here i would seriously look at your vehicle for sale. Exactly what we are looking for. WE have been shopping for new FJ Cruisers, but they are pricey. We will be back there for a few mnths in October, Had to come back here to finish a sale of our yacht. I love Costa Rica. We keep in touch with our children via email while we are there.

Bless you all today and always.

Laura

Hey Laura,

See ya.

I repeat - over and over - LOOK AT THE "PIAGGIO APE" - or the BAJAJ!!! We live in a country where the people can't afford to change the oil!!

We live in a country where the people can't afford to change the oil!!

I disagree. We live in a country where people are too cheap and shortsighted to budget for oil changes.

To an extent, I would have to agree with MD, except one factor that is always overlooked when discussing the time interval for oil changes. That is, that the auto manufacturers, in cahoots with Big Oil, have sold at least the American public on the concept that one must change oil every three months, or 3,000 miles. However, when one studies serious research reports, one can learn that oil changes do not need to be done more frequently than once every 6,000-7,500 miles, depending on the type of driving that one does, etc. Also, and this is where I really had my eyes opened, a few years ago (late 2005) I bought a new car that offered "no maintenance costs to the buyer" for the first two years/24,000 miles. This meant free oil changes! Wow! Turned out, since they were paying, that oil changes are only necessary every six months or 6,000 miles! Isn't that interesting? So, in two years time, I got four whole oil changes for free. Big deal, and a lesson that I have certainly taken to heart. I will not pay for an oil change more often, since the manufacturers have openly admitted that they have been lying to us all these years.

And, if that is not enough to show us where we have been mislead, remember when new car warranties used to require that owners have all of their oil changes done at the dealer? Then, they relaxed it to the point that all you had to be able to do, in order to keep your warranty valid, was to be able to prove that you either paid someone else, or purchased adequate oil/filters to have had it done per their schedule. Now, they do not even check for that proof, because the fact is, we have been wasting oil for lo, these many years, because of yet another lie sold to us by Detroit (OK, what used to be Detroit).

...oil changes are only necessary every six months or 6,000 miles!

LOL! It's even worse/better than that. Generally if your oil is clean, you don't have to change it...yet.

1) Get a magnetic oil drain plug.

2) Use high quality (ie: low micron) filters

Then check your oil once a month. If you are really industrious drain a little bit and replace that amount when the motor is cold (most of the bad stuff settles to the bottom). Wipe off the magnetic plug before re-inserting (just in case it has some microscopic metal shavings). If the dipstick has nice clean oil on it you have little to no reason to change it.

If you see/feel metal shavings on the magnetic plug get a good mechanic to check it out right away. If s/he says don't worry everything is ok get another mechanic.

YMMV