Laura K

High School and College Exchange Students

Starting August 2009, my family and I are going to host a female high school exchange student from Costa Rica. This is the organization we are using: www.afs.org. This will be our first time hosting a student from Costa Rica. We chose a female because our daughter is 17 years old. August 2009 is the time we chose because our daughter will be back from being a high school exhange student in Northern Japan with World Experience (www.worldexperience.org). World Experience doesn't have high school exchange students from Costa Rica. So far, only AFS does.

We are planning to host for a whole school year.

Has any forum member ever hosted a high school exchange student from Costa Rica or is even considering it?

Has any forum member ever hosted a foreign exchange college student from Costa Rica or is even considering it?

Has any forum member ever been an exchange student in Costa Rica when they were in high school or college or have children or grandchildren who are high school or college exchange students in Costa Rica?

Has any forum member living in Costa Rica ever hosted a high school exchange student from any country in the world or is considering doing so?

Has any forum member ever hosted a high school or college foreign exchange student from anywhere in the world or been one themselves?

Does any forum member have children or grandchildren who are high school or college foreign exchange students anywhere in the world?

We previously hosted a female high school exchange student from Northern Japan (2007-2008 school year) through World Experience.

We live in the USA.

I've never been a high school or college exchange student and neither has my husband. :wub:

Edited by Laura K

While living in Canada we hosted Rotary exchange students from Columbia, Denmark, Australia, Holland and from another group a student from India. We met other students from Costa Rica and had a friend whose son came to Costa Rica. Our daughter went for an one year exchange to Australia.

While it was a great experience it can be a daunting task.

While living in Canada we hosted Rotary exchange students from Columbia, Denmark, Australia, Holland and from another group a student from India. We met other students from Costa Rica and had a friend whose son came to Costa Rica. Our daughter went for an one year exchange to Australia.

While it was a great experience it can be a daunting task.

Costaricafinca,

Yes, it can be a daunting task but it can be so rewarding, too...as you have learned.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

I bet your daughter's experience in Australia was fun.

We look forward to hosting students again and again.

Update:

AFS (American Field Service-www.afs.org) just informed us that the female high school exchange student from Costa Rica we were supposed to host didn't pass the test to study here in the USA.

So we won't have an exchange student for next school year.

AFS receives an average of only three Costa Rican exchange students per school year.

My husband, Randy, says he needs a break so a break we'll get.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

Another update: my husband reconsidered. Since we could not get a female high school exchange student from Costa Rica, we will be getting a female high school exchange student from Japan through World Experience. She will arrive the end of this August. The female high school exchange student from Japan (age 17) we have now has to return to Japan on July 10th. She will return to the USA to attend a private high school in Portland, Oregon next year.

Where we lived in Canada, they opened up a private school for Japanese students of all ages.They would spend their first year in our small town, then spend the next, 2-4 years in Vancouver BC

Over the course of 5 years we hosted many students, mostly female, for weekends or month long stays. We enjoyed them very much.

costaricafinca,

I'm so glad to hear that. Sounds like what the exchange student we have now will.

We are enjoying our exchange students.

Laura K

Where we lived in Canada, they opened up a private school for Japanese students of all ages.They would spend their first year in our small town, then spend the next, 2-4 years in Vancouver BC

Over the course of 5 years we hosted many students, mostly female, for weekends or month long stays. We enjoyed them very much.

COSTARICAFINCA and LAURA K..........thank you both for your contribution in doing what makes our human culture still tolerable.......I watched the news this a.m., got the local happenings at the Coffee shop.......Came home early and got on this Forum and read both of your posts........The day ended good......thanks.....john

John,

I'm so glad you appreciate what costricafinca and I are doing when it comes to hosting foreign exchange students.

Glad we could make your day.

Laura K

John,

I'm so glad you appreciate what costricafinca and I are doing when it comes to hosting foreign exchange students.

Glad we could make your day.

Laura K

just remember when i am chosen KING there will be a post for you.......no question.......HOWEVER, in order to do all the\

other things i want to do in C/R I do not think i can accept the KINGSHIP....I really just want to be an ordinary perosn and see things from that perspective.......NOW.......you could put in your name for QUEEN...........I may have some pull.........

john

Another Update: The female high school exchange student from Japan (World Experience) didn't work out. The good news is we will be receiving a 15 year old female high school exchange student from Thailand through AFS August 2009.

Another Update: The female high school exchange student from Japan (World Experience) didn't work out. The good news is we will be receiving a 15 year old female high school exchange student from Thailand through AFS August 2009.

God Bless you Laura for your contribution so making this World work....Exchange Students has always been one of the better ways for different cultures to see the problems of others and how others live. After learning of this I may indeed withdraw my name for King and support your nomination for Queen. you will have to drop the last name however......Don't remember any Queen with a last name......unless in S.F..........john

You're so welcome, John.

You are correct, if I become queen, I would have to eliminate my last name.

As a family, we really enjoy the exchange students.

Laura K

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/07/15/us.ex...=rss_topstories

Exchange students live American nightmare

SCRANTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- They came from around the world hoping to spend a high school year immersed in the culture and joys of America.

Instead, five young foreign exchange students found themselves caught in a nightmare of neglect, malnourishment and abandonment by those supposed to protect them.

Now those five -- natives of countries stretching from Norway to Tanzania to Colombia -- are back home telling friends of a different America than they expected. And their brief visit reverberates in America as a United States senator demands accountability and reform, a Pennsylvania district attorney seeks criminal charges and the U.S. State Department concedes it failed to protect kids coming to America.