This bill is trying to make sure that everyone who is born a US citizen dies a US citizen: http://www.mainstreet.com/theres-law-takes...nship#comments1.

Opinions welcome.

I thought the USA was the land of the free.

No, I'm NOT renouncing my US citizenship.

:huh:

OHO, EEHEE AHAAA In the "two passports" portion of the forum, one post stated somethng to the effect that the US PRESUMES that you are not giving your citizenship by holding citizenship in any country and participating in certain activities in said country! What happens when this PRESUMPTION is changed to reflect a different opinion? Looks to my like if the article is correct that the possibili8ty exists that a whole lot of people are going to have back taxes to pay. I absollutely refuse to becpome3 one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And once again I remind everyone to read the CAUTION in the front of your passports!

• 1 month later...
This bill is trying to make sure that everyone who is born a US citizen dies a US citizen: http://www.mainstreet.com/theres-law-takes...nship#comments1.

Opinions welcome.

I thought the USA was the land of the free.

No, I'm NOT renouncing my US citizenship.

:huh:

My husband recently informed me that this bill just passed and it's now a law.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband recently informed me that this bill just passed and it's now a law.

Be careful of your sources (perhaps, in this case, including your husband). Capital flight is huge in the US, and don't kid yourself, there are rich people who would renounce their citizenship in a heartbeat if that would save them on taxes. It's not you and I or even the Beatles anyone is going after. Tranquila chica, this is all good. So you want those Lehman Brothers CEOs taking our dough to the Cayman's? Like most things, the scale of what is going on here is way beyond our comprehension. It's not you or I or even the garden variety millionaire. Tranquila. Every once in awhile Congress does something right.

Be careful of your sources (perhaps, in this case, including your husband). Capital flight is huge in the US, and don't kid yourself, there are rich people who would renounce their citizenship in a heartbeat if that would save them on taxes. It's not you and I or even the Beatles anyone is going after. Tranquila chica, this is all good. So you want those Lehman Brothers CEOs taking our dough to the Cayman's? Like most things, the scale of what is going on here is way beyond our comprehension. It's not you or I or even the garden variety millionaire. Tranquila. Every once in awhile Congress does something right.

Thanks for the update on the Bill.

Yes, people will do anything to save money on taxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of back taxes while in Costa Rica and working you are legally responsible to pay taxes on the money you make in Costa Rica to the IRS. Under the World Wide Tax act. It is also illegal to give up you us citizenship just to avoid paying taxes. On the other hand if you read the laws carefully there is a loop hole the size of Texas that states which ever passport you enter the country under you are under more of their rule than the us. So if costa Rica had a draft (to say) you can go and the US can not punish you for this. If this were there case then many people of the Jewish faith would be punished for serving in the Israeli armed services because of their dual citizenship. Don't just take my word for it go to the library of congress web site and look at the laws on the books.

Speaking of back taxes while in Costa Rica and working you are legally responsible to pay taxes on the money you make in Costa Rica to the IRS. Under the World Wide Tax act. It is also illegal to give up you us citizenship just to avoid paying taxes. On the other hand if you read the laws carefully there is a loop hole the size of Texas that states which ever passport you enter the country under you are under more of their rule than the us. So if costa Rica had a draft (to say) you can go and the US can not punish you for this. If this were there case then many people of the Jewish faith would be punished for serving in the Israeli armed services because of their dual citizenship. Don't just take my word for it go to the library of congress web site and look at the laws on the books.

I appreciate the information.

Didn't realize there was a loophole in the bill...interesting.

Hopefully, our economy will improve.