Homeowners Insurance?

sammi

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to find information on house insurance and company`s in costa rica that are credited with the better business Bureau. Maryann

Hi Maryann!

There is no Allstate or State Farm or Geico etc. in COsta RIca. THere is the one and only Govt. run INS which you can get homeowners, car and medical insurance from. WE have all three. Our atty. helped us get the homeowners and car insurance policy. ARCR handles the CAJA medical for us. Our car is 1987 so we only have liability. Our homeowners only covers natural disaster and fires. WE did not feel comfortable having an "appraiser" from the Govt. come in an assess the values of all our stuff and then come up with a policy rate. That is how they do it. Quite a set up to charge the gringos with all the neat stuff ALOT of money. For the natural disaster coverage we pay about $260.00 annually. Hope this helps.

I don't like or have insurance on are homes, autos, boats, or airplane. None

Thank You. I am moving from Las Vegas and have much to do. I have already purchased a house in Quepos, C.R. I still don`t understand how to start our residency. You know step #1 and after that? But thank you for your information. Maryann

Sammi, are you saying that you bought property in CR, but are not a resident, and have no idea of how to become a resident?

first, go here: http://www.arcr.net/services.html

then, go to www.therealcostarica.com

read, read, read..........

follow the directions to lead you to your nearest Costa Rican Consulate...........get in touch with them, and ask them to tell you what you need........

Depending on your location, especially if you are near a river, you should check out flood insurance as they have many propblems, every year during the rainy season. Quepos is one of the wettest area in Costa Rica.

Has anyone ever been actually paid by INS? I know lots of folks who pay them but don't know of them ever paying a claim.

We had a couple of break ins at the farmacy and the rigamorole they put us through was ridiculous. You must have original receipts of anything you want to claim, including furniture and fixtures of any kind. They never paid anything at all.

They won't be getting any more of my money voluntarily.

Thank You. I am moving from Las Vegas and have much to do. I have already purchased a house in Quepos, C.R. I still don`t understand how to start our residency. You know step #1 and after that? But thank you for your information. Maryann

Hola Maryann,, Residency is a huge issue. To know just how huge read these forums.

Most of the documents you need are obtained within the states. Residency for Costa Rica is essentially impossible to completely accomplish IN Costa RIca. You should get most everything done state side ie.-police letter for your local city of residence, birth cert., if applicable-marriage certificate, proof of income worded specifically for lifetime to you- if you will be pensionado status,all needing to be authenticated, stamped, translated etc. at about $40-50 per document through the CR consulate that is located nearest to you in the US. Once in CR you complete the process with just a few additional items done here-interpol investigation based on fingerprinting done in Costa Rica, some more passport photos, and a cita for migracion lotsa luck with that one, even with the help of ARCR you could be looking at MONTHS before you see a cedula to put in your purse.

For my husband and I we started on all the paperwork in Texas, 6 months before we relocated.

... even with the help of ARCR you could be looking at MONTHS before you see a cedula to put in your purse..... For my husband and I we started on all the paperwork in Texas, 6 months before we relocated.....

Of those I know (and ARCR estimate confirms) who recently received approval the wait was about a year, (cedula pickup is +/- 2 mo. beyond that). One friend submitted in June of 2007, everything in-country complete (fingerprints, bank deposit, etc.) & folder number by Sept. 2007. He was approved in mid-July 2008. He'll probably get the appointment for cedula in Sept.

BTW, I read elsewhere that new applications may move more quickly because they're going straight into the computer, not stacked on a desk waiting like in-process applicants.

Yes, do all the application work before leaving Las Vegas. Ensure that the Consulate has sent the package to Immigration and it was received. Do all the work while you're where it must be done... You'll need birth and marriage certificates, police letter of good conduct, pension or bank letter, and all must be notarized, certified, authenticated.... as GringaTica said. Although you can (currently) stay while Immigration processes the application, that is not guaranteed and can change. If you haven't even submitted the application...

CD

I can't take it any more. Sabo, please tell us one thing: are you really that illiterate that you cannot write a cogent sentence, or is this an act? On the one hand, your posts declare you to be a business person, but your command of the English language leaves me shaking my head in wonder! (there care.........they get stolen...........they get payed.......????)