Which newspaper would you recommend for reading? Tico Times, AM Costa Rica, or something else?

The newspaper can be an online paper and/or actual newspaper.

Also, the newspapers (online and/or actual newspaper) can be in Spanish. A good way to learn Spanish.

How much do these newspapers cost (online and/or actual newspaper)?

:D

la nacion is the best. tico times is like the national enquirer and am costa rica is okay but not too much local news On Fridays la nacion prints some things in English... I subscribe here in Costa Rica... enjjoy forgot to add la nacion is 400 colones on Sunday which is about $.75 200 colones during the week.. and what I meant about am costa rica is that they usually do only sensationalism.... also.. try insidecostarica.com which copies word for word from la nacion.. you can read it on line...

Laura,

Here are two other newspapers you may like to check out. They are both, comparatively speaking, 'rags' when examined side-by-side with La Nación (or even AM CR, for that matter).

But..... They are great for practicing one's spanish as they are written at maybe a fifth-grade level.

Al Día - [full of 'sensational' reportage and sometimes raw photos of car wrecks, etc.]

http://www.aldia.co.cr/hoy/

Diario Extra - [more sensationalism and what we might in the US consider less than P.C. photos]

http://www.diarioextra.com/

I look at these every once in a while as they give, oddly enough, an interesting picture of the seamier side of CR. But let me say that neither of these for me would make a palatable news-diet for long. But to browse thru them every so often can be interesting and useful in a strange way.

Okay, Laura, if you visit these sites keep in mind that not every article or photo is P.C., so please don't think the poorer of me for suggesting them.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.

==

Edited by Epicatt2

Which newspaper would you recommend for reading? Tico Times, AM Costa Rica, or something else?

The newspaper can be an online paper and/or actual newspaper.

Also, the newspapers (online and/or actual newspaper) can be in Spanish. A good way to learn Spanish.

How much do these newspapers cost (online and/or actual newspaper)?

:D

Before I moved to CR I subscribed to the Tico Times online. Just go to their site to find out the price. They have a few free articles and features, but most of the paper is not available online unless you subscribe. Well worth it in my opinion. If you buy it directly from a vendor it's 600 colones. It has a page with all the events, exhibits, etc., for that weekend. I also read amcostarica.com, which is free. If you want a Spanish language paper I recommend La Nacion, also online. Not sure of the price; at least the classified ads are free online.

amcostarica is only 5 online pages, with one to 3 articles each page. There are links to international news.

Before I moved to CR I subscribed to the Tico Times online. Just go to their site to find out the price.

Subscribing to the TT Online gives you the entire paper, ads and all.

The annual subscription fee is US$48.00. (I know because I just renewed my subscription last month.)

Their website is

http://www.ticotimes.net

HTH

Paul M.

==

Ah, come on, if your native language is English and you are not Tico, you pretty much have to get the weekly "Tico Times" as well as the daily "AM Costa Rica." Personally, even though I have written for it, I resent the 600 colone price for the "Tico Times." It is a gringo premium. However, it is only a buck a week, the paper gives you a decent window on the country with a gringo slant, and you have to. "AM Costa Rica" is free, online, and while editor Jay Brodel has his slant (which he denies), he's a pretty good guy. At the moment, one of his interns I believe, Elise Sonroy, is in my opinion showing some real promise as a journalist. Again, it's free for crying out loud. They all read La Nacion and will do the same story the next day if they think it's relevant.

Depending upon your Spanish ability, La Nacion is the paper of record here. The others seem always to have pictures of half-naked women on them. It's not to say that they aren't fun and don't occasionally break a story, but "La Nacion" is your more sober alternative. (And inside "La Nacion" will sometimes have pictures of half-naked women.) Because my Spanish isn't that great (and I'm lazy plus have other things to do), I usually only pick up "La Nacion" on Sundays and then skim whatever is on the counter at my local soda when I stop in.

You might also appreciate that TV is huge here, and people do watch the local news in TV. More than they read the papers, I believe.

There is another online English language source that I haven't quite pegged. I get daily reports about Nicaragua and there is something labeled Costa Rica that supplies a few. Sorry, I haven't received enough to remember it though. The odd thing is that I get these because I'm following Nicaragua.