• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts which are inappropriate to the Support Forums will be deleted without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
lonwat

Driving from Alberta Canada / looking for advice

15 posts in this topic

I know of a few people that have driven down, from the USA with no Spanish. And other than a longer driving time from Alberta probably through Montana, you should be fine. Your dogs will need proper paperwork, which will take longer at each border crossing but will provide some protection on your travels.

If you are going to be making a permanent move you need to apply to become a resident while still in Canada. This can take up to 2 years....

You will also be required to pay tax on your vehicle and contents.

Can anyone indicate how much the tax would be on a 10 year old car? Are cats a problem too?

How about shipping household items like computers, etc.? We have some stuff we don't want to part with.

Is it difficult to become a resident?

I understand as a visitor I would have to leave the country for 48 hours every 3-4 months? Correct?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Breezer

Hi Breezer -

Welcome to the forum!

you can get a pretty good answer to most of your questions by using the search feature of this forum. "shipping" and "resident" and "tourist visa" will get you a long way.

Julie

Hi from another Albertan. 1)Check out "The Real Costa Rica" website. Tons of on target info. 2) Driving should be okay. Friends rode down from texas on motorbikes a year ago without too many problems. 3) Bring lots of copies of dog veterinarian checkups. 4) Bring lots of $20.00 bills...my friends had to pay off 5 cops in Nicaragua...basically every one who saw them pulled them over and extorted cash. 5)forget about importing a vehicle. It's a big pain in the arse, and the taxes will add up to more than the car is worth. You can keep it and drive it for 3 months on a tourist visa. 6) every 3 months you need to leave for 72 hours, though a lot of people somehow......manage to get their passport stamped without leaving the country. 7)NEVER leave your vehicle alone if your gear is still aboard.

We are looking to drive from Alberta, Canada in Nov with our two dogs has anyone done anything like that?

bulletin board is a pain...my email is c_rolande@yahoo.com

Greg

We are looking to drive from Alberta, Canada in Nov with our two dogs has anyone done anything like that?

Hi again...the lot I purchased was 55K..it's 4600meters square, just over an acre. Ocean view, about 4 km from the beach. I bought it 3 years ago, and last time I was there similar property was $30/m. It cost about 10K to put in a road, and the house was 70K, turnkey. The house is 7mx10m, with a flat concrete roof. There is a secondary roof above that, with a wood deck covering about 1/2 the roof. It's one bedroom, one bath, and has 1m of tile around the house, with 3m of tile out front, and 2m out back. When I bought the property it was twice as good at half the price of the lots I saw in "developments". If I was to rent it for 6 months I'd want $750 a month. Houses in the area are $1000 a week for high season, but those all have pools. I haven't got that far yet. We paid $1100 a month for a more or less. similar house while we were building. I think that you could offer 30% less than any posted price right now and you'd be in the ballpark. There is a lot going on in the area, and a new hospital was just completed and opened about 10 miles from Ojochal. It is intended to serve a new international airport they're opening in Palmar Sur. Once they pave the road from Quepos to Dominical, that part of the country will open right up, and there is a lot of development going on in anticipation of that hapening, but with Tico time...who knows how long that will be?

If OP has done the drive.... 9 years ago.... or even 8 years ago (5 years ago?) ...  it may not be relevant for you.  Things have changed a lot in that time. 

In general:  Safety is a BIG issue so not a great trip to take with a family; you will cross 5 borders so patience and paperwork will be important; you will need to register your car, have it inspected and pay the tax within 90 days of your arrival and keep in mind, the tax will be around 50% +- the value of your car, as determined by the Costa Rica government. 

A "gringo" in a nice car, loaded with stuff (and obviously with some cash and cards) is a very BIG TARGET these days. 

I searched for "Ionwat", the OP, in the directory and came up empty.  I would not expect a reply.

Edited by T&VSmith

They did not make it... :(:( Im just a travel story junky, I actually had my hopes up thinking he / she would come on and say... YEAH!!!! Video recorded the whole trip heres the link!!!:lol::lol: lol, wishful thinking!

I've done this twice.  The first time was 6 years ago when I was faced with the conflicting requirements for transporting my three dogs.  Because of their breeds, temperature restrictions and airline capacities, I elected to drive them from North Carolina.  I purchased a Ford E-250 cargo van on eBay (like a 8 passenger van but without any rear seats or windows). I also transported my motorcycle in the back of the van at the same time.  No bribes given.  No harrowing experiences.  Stayed in one star lodgings so I could keep the dogs with me in the room and the van under cover.  Took a easterly route until Tampico, MX then turned inland.  Avoided San Salvador completely.  The route was very carefully chosen.  It's shown on a photo album on my Facebook page called "Three Dog Fortnight".  On arrival, drove the van and moto around for the legal 90 days then nationalized them.  Soon thereafter sold the van for enough to pay for the trip expenses for the two of us, the cost of the van, the nationalization plus a tidy profit.

The second time was four years ago.  It was a for-profit run to import a particular pre-sold vehicle.  Same scenario less dogs.

I traveled with a male friend who has good Spanish.  Mine is basic but it turned out I did most of the talking.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor