Sign in to follow this  
luv2fish

Planning on Driving Down to CR With Our Car

OK here is the scoop. We have decided to buy a new four wheel drive vehicle here in the states. Main reason is so we will know history of the vehicle. So here is the plan. We are planning on driving down to our home in CR late this year. We have friends that have done it with NO problem. We would like to hear suggestions that have worked for any of you. We are not on a time schedule so if there are any places we should stop and see, let us know. Thanks in advance. I think this will be a REAL adventure. We are very close to being at our home in Roxana CR FULL time and we are SO excited.

The Adventurers, Laura and Tomas :)

John Howell's (sp?) book "Choose Costa Rica" has an interesting chapter on this - he and his wife did it once (he would do it over again, but not twice).

Entry Point Suggestions , we live in Houston, but thought might be a better entry that Brownsville- Matamoros. Paperwork, Forms, Visas, any ideas. And yes we have read that book .Good reading and info. Its a couple years old. So i am sure a few things have changed. Heard there are lots of TOLL roads that made it Quick and EASY since most folks in Mexico can not afford tolls.

Places to stay. Close to borders. CURRENT MAPS. Insurance agents for International Driving Travel. Sights to see. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

One thing everyone agrees on is DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT!!! :D

We crossed at Brownsville, I would cross there. All crossings will have forms. If you have a US passport all visas will be at the borders. Plan 3 hrs. per border. Hide at least 2 copys of all docs and cash. There are times that only cash will work. The tolls roads may have been a little better but not much. If you are going to drive a new car, do not wash it. We carried ball bats and spot lights. As you said DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT. I will be doing a round trip from San Jose this fall on my bike. It is a great trip.

What to take, what NOT to take

Also we will be taking our pet, a little mean Chihuahua :) She was a big hit when we flew her to CR with us last month!!!

A dog is good but will take a little more time at the borders. On my last trip they looked at the truck and boats vins, but never looked at the 'stuff' in the truck. When I got to CR I got a 90 day on the truck and did not have to pay taxes on the stuff in it' a honda out board, a weed eater, alot of tools.'

A dog is good but will take a little more time at the borders. On my last trip they looked at the truck and boats vins, but never looked at the 'stuff' in the truck. When I got to CR I got a 90 day on the truck and did not have to pay taxes on the stuff in it' a honda out board, a weed eater, alot of tools.'

She (our dog) is like our American Express, we never leave home without her!!! HAHA!!! I guess we will just have to be patient. and yes we will be taking some equipment, that is good that we can. Ceiling fans, tools, and some lawn supplies are already on the list.

Thanks for all your input.

We appreciate you!! ;)

OK here is the scoop. We have decided to buy a new four wheel drive vehicle here in the states. Main reason is so we will know history of the vehicle. So here is the plan. We are planning on driving down to our home in CR late this year. We have friends that have done it with NO problem. We would like to hear suggestions that have worked for any of you. We are not on a time schedule so if there are any places we should stop and see, let us know. Thanks in advance. I think this will be a REAL adventure. We are very close to being at our home in Roxana CR FULL time and we are SO excited.

The Adventurers, Laura and Tomas :)

Before you buy your car you might want to find out which cars have available parts here. I don't see many American cars. In fact, I don't remember seeing any. Lots of Toyotas and Nissans, with corresponding dealerships for maintenance and repairs.

Have you read about the high cost of importing cars to CR? Many people wait and buy one here.

I ordered and just recieved two books,

Pan American Highway "Mexico to Costa Rica" A little outdated but interesting pointers it looks like it will be

and the Other is "99 days to Panama" Newer Book from 2005 and it looks great

we will read these for some pointers too.

Shea, the main reason we are looking here is because there is a lot if hidden repairs that they dont tell you about on the used cars we have looked at. Tom wants to make sure we get us a good one for the money we spend.

We will more than likely buy a older toyota land cruiser for ME to run the roads once we get there, besides having a truck ( we will buy here), we have decided on a 4 X 4 club cab, to haul stuff and folks when needed and have four wheel for adventure!!!

I ordered and just recieved two books,

Pan American Highway "Mexico to Costa Rica" A little outdated but interesting pointers it looks like it will be

and the Other is "99 days to Panama" Newer Book from 2005 and it looks great

we will read these for some pointers too.

Shea, the main reason we are looking here is because there is a lot if hidden repairs that they dont tell you about on the used cars we have looked at. Tom wants to make sure we get us a good one for the money we spend.

We will more than likely buy a older toyota land cruiser for ME to run the roads once we get there, besides having a truck ( we will buy here), we have decided on a 4 X 4 club cab, to haul stuff and folks when needed and have four wheel for adventure!!!

Although I don't have a car (and shouldn't be giving any advice, for sure), my friends here in Atenas have a Toyota 4 x 4 and have had excellent service from the Toyota dealership in Uruca. Fast, too! My caution was about picking a vehicle than can be properly serviced here, and it sounds like you already knew that.

I own a Saturn in the U.S. and have never seen one here, so I don't think I'll ever be tempted to bring it down here.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you'll post some notes about your adventure after you get here.

Edited by Shea