I would strongly urge you NOT to bring all of your U. S. fishing tackle with you to CR. There is some fresh water fishing, but what with licensing and all, I would imagine it would be difficult to arrange for. How is your Spanish? Have you ever been there before? Have made reservations anywhere (- that would be a good place to start with your questions, as they should be able to tell you what is available).

TG has a great site, but I could not find the info on a fresh-water fishing license. I have never heard of one and don't know anyone that has. I have never been ask for my salt-water license by the Costas or anyone else when we are out on our boat, just at the docks when I have gone on a charter.

Sabo, what docks? what charter? Are you, by any chance, confusing your deep sea fishing with inland, stream or lake fishing? I, too have a recollection of a license being required (by law, but it IS a Tico law, remember), and I know someone who showed my his Tico license a few years back......but I can't speak to whether fishing licenses are mentioned on Tim's site...........

What I was tring to say is, never when I was fishing in fresh water on or off a boat, or on my boat in salt water has any one ask to see a license. Yes in the past, before I had my boat here and I took charters out of Quepos or Jaco they sold me a license on the dock. FYI My wife and kids did not have to buy one as the thought that they was just along for the ride.

• 1 month later...

The freshwater fishing I have read about is at Lake Arenal with a few guides available. Both of the main species targeted I had never heard of before. Also there is fishing on the river that is the northern border on the East Coast. I was looking for when/if I am able to move down so I could have a cheap little place to run off to for a half day. Really I plan to fish saltwater much more. If others in the group are not comfortable with going "out to sea" you should consider some of the great near shore fishing. Literally just past the breakers in most places. Also tarpon on the Caribbean side.