Medical Transcriptionists (MTs)

Are there any forum members who are Medical Transcriptionists (MTs) or seriously considering becoming Medical Transcriptionists (MTs)?

I'm trying to decide if I want to train to be an MT in a couple of years when my husband is closer to retirement.

Any information about how to become an MT would be great.

:o

While this may be a great new career, and if you are employed by an American company, I wouldn't think there would be much call for it in a small beach town. Maybe in San Jose where there are a few large private hospitals.

If nothing else, Laura, they should let you live in this country 'just for trying so darn hard'!

Costaricafinca,

Thanks for the compliment. LOL!

If I did become a MT, I would make sure I was employed with a large American hospital before moving to Costa Rica.

Yes, I am doing my research on MTs.

Sincerely,

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

I would not recommend work as a Medical Transcriptionist for someone who is not already fluent in medical terminology. Nor, can I see this being a viable means of support regardless of whether or not you are living in close proximity to whatever source of data it is that requires transcription. Speaking as a Nurse who has done a considerable amount of medical record reviews, I can tell you that the demands for very, very fast and very, very accurate turn-around are high! If you are located on a quiet beach, with less than perfect internet connection, your clients would not appreciate having to wait hours or days for a turn around time. Beyond that, the reality of this field is that one must perform huge amounts of work in order to make it pay reasonably well.

Are there any forum members who are Medical Transcriptionists (MTs) or seriously considering becoming Medical Transcriptionists (MTs)?

I'm trying to decide if I want to train to be an MT in a couple of years when my husband is closer to retirement.

Any information about how to become an MT would be great.

:o

Hi Laura,

You would be able to work from Costa Rica for a American company or for yourself. There is a woman living at Esterillos who has her own company that contracts out to medical professionals in the States.

As for becoming a MT, some local schools may have a program or there are some on-line programs. My sister went through it a couple of years ago.

Jimmy,

Thanks for your viewpoint about becoming a MT.

Is your sister still a MT? If so, how is it working for her?

With two different viewpoints about being a MT, I'm confused.

Good thing I don't need to be an MT right away.

I took a test from this online MT school: http://www.andrewsschool.com/. My score was 93%. I needed only 75% to pass.

Feel free to give me information about the woman living in Esterillos.

If nothing else, I can pass my acquired knowledge about being a MT to someone else.

Sincerely,

Laura K

We met a woman who owns her own MT business. She lives in Costa Rica now, and employs several others (all via USA, but they live all over). Everything is done via internet. I know she lives in a quiet beach town, and may actually be the same woman Jimmy knows about :D.

I wish I had her contact info...

As Julie and Jimmy point out, there is at least one woman doing this. I will bet you that she has a long track record, and the other important factoid they mention, is that she is the owner of the business. That is a far cry from someone who took an online test (which was undoubtedly part of a come-on) in an area where she may or may not be qualified. Speaking as one who currently works from home, and who has done so for many years, I would point out that working from home is not for everybody. Some folks need the socialization of an office setting, some need constant supervision, some need a more structured setting, and so forth. To do well working at home, one must be very well disciplined, a "self-starter," and able to cope with instant and constant change. And, let's not forget: you must own your own equipment, and be able to maintain it, and pay for your own internet connection, and make sure that it is a good one.

I would say to Laura that you might want to contact this friend of Jimmy and Julie, and pick her brain, and even see if she would find you work, if/when you become qualified.

JD,

Good points. It may be difficult to start or to recently start from Costa Rica. The person Julie and I know was established for years in the States.

Julie,

It is the same person. Norm may have her contact info. I believe he stopped there over the Easter weekend. I don't have Norm's e-mail. I still haven't recovered from the computer crashing.

Jdo,

Contacting Jimmy and Julie's friend is a great idea.

Thanks for sharing you working from home experience with me. Not as easy as it looks and sounds.

I'm sure the online test is a come-on like you stated.

Sincerely,

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

Hey there again Laura,

I prolly know that very same person who is a medical transcriptionist in CR.

If the MT that you would be doing will be for a company set up outside of CR and you are telecommuting to do the job, that means your pay is rendered outside CR which, for either Rentista or Pensionado status does not break the rules under either residency status or working in the country. And just to be on the even more safe side, you could have them EFT your pay into your financial institution back home.

So then, because you are doing work for someone outside CR and your pay is rendered by a company that is also outside CR that breaks no employment laws in CR in the eyes of the CR Govt/Immigration.

Then, although you are typing the transcriptions while you are physically in CR, all the rest of the enterprise happens out of the country, so the CR Govt/Immigration doesn't have a notion that it is going on, anyway.

All you would need here is a high-speed connection so that you will be able to download the work to be transcribed and to then upload it in finished form back to the customer/company.

For further info and clarification on this I would really encourage you to contact Ryan at ARCR.

And, since you are entertaining the whole idea and won't actually be coming here 'til your hubby retires, you would have time to train for the field before actually making the move to CR. Plus that way, once trained you could enter the field back home and already have a job before you ever start making final plans to move to CR. Then once you finally get your residency you will already have a MT job you are doing and you just bring your fingers and keyboard to CR and continue doing what you did back home.

But seriously, do discuss this with ARCR to avoid any unexpected little hitches that might pop up.

Good Luck!

Paul M.

==

It is the same person. Norm may have her contact info. I believe he stopped there over the Easter weekend. I don't have Norm's e-mail. I still haven't recovered from the computer crashing.

Jim - "Oh Man!" :lol:

I'll send you some info - hope you get *some* recovered data.

Laura - I would try emailing Norman and Isabel at Vida Tropical (vidatrop [at] racsa.co.cr); see if they can put you in contact.