Selling Costa Rica To Your Spouse/Partner

When I attended a Seminar about Costa Rica (San Francisco, CA---January 2007), I was told that usually one spouse/partner wants to live in Costa Rica more than the other. In most cases, the man wants to live in Costa Rica more than the woman.

How did you convince your spouse/partner to want to live in Costa Rica with you year round...especially when there are children and/or teens involved?

How long did it take for you to sell Costa Rica to your spouse/partner?

I would love to hear your true stories.

:D

When I attended a Seminar about Costa Rica (San Francisco, CA---January 2007), I was told that usually one spouse/partner wants to live in Costa Rica more than the other. In most cases, the man wants to live in Costa Rica more than the woman.

How did you convince your spouse/partner to want to live in Costa Rica with you year round...especially when there are children and/or teens involved?

How long did it take for you to sell Costa Rica to your spouse/partner?

I would love to hear your true stories.

:D

I tried but it didn't work Soooooo I packed my pot belly pig, 7 boxes of personal items (700 pds.) and moved to Costa Rica!! I left everything else - house and 2 acres, furniture, diesel pickup, Ford mustang, dog horse - EVERYTHING!! Best decision I ever made - and I'm not going back - EVER Why argue about it? Life is to short - do yourself a favor - paraphrasing Winston Churchill - Destiny commands, we must obey!! Respectfully

We both wanted to come here, but every so often I know my husband would return in a 'flash'! Due to many things, 'numero uno' being our children and the grandchildren.

If, you have to persuade your husband, it will not work out. This decision must be mutual as it will be difficult enough without any discord between you. And that is not even taking into consideration bringing a teenager! Living with a teenager can add enough turmoil in anyones life, without a 'move' involved, whether to another town 100 miles away or over the ocean.

If, you had 2-3 teens it may be easier as they are built in company for each other, apart from the days that they hate each other...

You have to consider, what will your husband do all day? Does he like to garden? Do chores? Play golf? Surf? Visit the local bars?

What will you do all day? The same things or do you have different ideas on how to spend your days?

You mentioned earlier that you have a young son who you may home school, so that will use up a few hours per day.

Do you like insects or do you 'freak out' if you find some in the house. Or see a snake? Find a frog in the bathroom?

Please don't think I am trying to dissuade you, only pointing out that this won't be a 'never ending vacation', but it can be a great adventure that you both want.

Yes, I hear there are poisonous "Viper Snakes...and Poisonous Frogs" that can kill you if they touch your skin, not to mention the Spiders that can bite you and then....eat away your skin. What do you do for Protection? What about when sleeping? I don't really love bugs, unless their the friendly, loving kind. YUCK. Help.

Of course that does not seem reason enough to stay away.

Does WHERE you come from affect how much 'selling' you might have to do? It was an easy decision for my husband and I - we didn't want to spend the rest of our lives having winters with -40, and the warmer areas in Canada are too expensive and crowded. Coming from Nevada you already have much nicer weather, so the selling job might be harder...

...I hear there are poisonous "Viper Snakes...and Poisonous Frogs",... not to mention the Spiders... What do you do for Protection?

Betty,

It is far less likely one will run into all the nasties that you mention when one is living in an urban setting. Unless you are planning to live in the jungle or on its fringes, it should not be a primary concern.

IMHO you are far more in danger from the terrifying Tico drivers than from those beasties. (But one can take buses to avoid them for the most part.) [ G ]

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Edited by Epicatt2

Betty,

It is far less likely one will run into all the nasties that you mention when one is living in an urban setting. Unless you are planning to live in the jungle or on its fringes, it should not be a primary concern.

IMHO you are far more in danger from the terrifying Tico drivers than from those beasties. (But one can take buses to avoid them for the most part.) [ G ]

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Maybe up in a Mountain someplace? I hear their there.

Maybe up in a Mountain someplace? I hear their there.

Well, everywhere that development occurs..houses, malls, offices, etc. Displaces wildlife in Costa Rica. Last year there was a photo in A.M. Costa Rica of a small Boa Constrictor that was found wrapped around some ceiling joists....this was in a devoped city area. Spiders and scorpions are plentiful just about everywhere. We saw some pretty big ones in MonteVerde that the kids were "showing off" to the tourists. We've had bats fly through the various restaurants where we were dining...again in a rather built up area...so.....you don't necessarily have to go to the jungle or mountains to see your share of "wild life"...but hey that's part of the adventure!!!!! and getting back to the topic at hand, my feeling is if you have to "sell" your spouse on ANYTHING in life...if won't work out. Important decisions like retirement and relocation require that everybody be on board right from the start. jp

CdnMorganGal,

I believe where one comes from affects how much selling one must do. Mostly, it's the economy that can be a selling factor.

Yes, the weather in Southern Nevada is nicer but the US economy is not as good as it used to be.

So glad that Costa Rica is working out for you and your husband.

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

Costaricafinca,

I agree...the decision must be mutual.

If we do move to Costa Rica, the plan is to bring our 6 year old son with us. Homeschooling will use up a few hours per day.

Our daughter will be grown (early 20s...she's 17 now) by the time we move to Costa Rica.

My husband and I are considering the Pacific Coast (small beach town).

Surfing is one thing my husband enjoys doing.

Insects are one thing we can handle.

Yes, no place is a never-ending vacation.

Laura K

Edited by Laura K

Laura, realize that most posters on this BB haven't actually moved here 'full time' as yet. Many have never been here, hence they are asking questions. Some, like Paul M, have visited and stayed for extended periods of time for many years and can offer very reliable information, but others are like yourself that has visited once and 'fell in love with the country and the dream of living here'.

You have read the postings that many residents say 'visit often and various areas' before you make that 'big decision'. Others are building or bought a home but may not have experienced the 'day to day' life that happens. TicoGrande recently reported that according to one of the moving companies that approx. 50% of people who 'make the move to Costa Rica' actually return to their home country.

Please, non-residents, don't take offense to my reply as I am just trying to point out that 'living the dream' is a whole different thing!

Here is my story:

Back in April 2006, we tried living in Hilo, Hawaii. After 3-1/2 months, it didn't work out. Luckily our marriage survived.

Even though Hawaii still has its good qualities, prices are really high (including sales tax on food), some blatant racism (especially against African-Americans such as myself), not as much aloha spirit as we have hoped, good childcare is hard to find, and many people were way too busy to form friendships with us.

In Hawaii, I learned the hard way that being a TSA was not the job for me...or any job involving security.

Shortly, after returning from Hawaii in August 2006, my husband said he was seriously considering Costa Rica as a place to live. You can say he sold me on Costa Rica.

I joined the ARCR Forum August 2006.

Our first trip to Costa Rica was to Tamarindo (Pacific Coast) in June 2007. The first words out of our mouths was: "Much prettier than Hawaii." We still stand by our statement to this day.

We enjoyed Witch's Rock Surf Camp (www.witchsrocksurfcamp.com).

This June, we will be in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa at Safari Surf School (www.safarisurfschool.com). We prefer a smaller town than Tamarindo.

We chose this surf school because it is considered one of the best vacation spots by Forbes Magazine and we're considering the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area as a place to live and would like to research this town.

Also, we enjoy learning how to surf.

It was nice having my husband in a good mood (unlike in Hawaii).

My husband is deciding if he wants to live in Costa Rica part-time or year round.

I told him I wouldn't mind living in Costa Rica year round.

This is how I am trying to persuade him:

1.) Learning Spanish.

2.) Saving Money.

3.) Not Bugging Him About Living In Costa Rica.

4.) Gathering Information About Costa Rica On This Forum.

5.) Learning About the Culture of Costa Rica.

I'm glad we tried Hawaii. We now know living in Hawaii is not for us.

Hopefully, we can try living in Costa Rica so we know whether or not Costa Rica is for us. We will make sure we both want to try out Costa Rica before we do.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

:lol:

Costaricafinca,

You're absolutely right...this is why I'm being patient...and not giving anyone any advice at this time.

There is a big difference between vacationing and visiting anywhere in the world.

Living in Henderson, Nevada is nothing like when we vacationed here and in Las Vegas years ago.

Thanks for the helpful statistic about 50% of people returning to their home country.

Laura K

Hi Laura -

We also looked around a lot before trying Costa Rica. One thing we found helpful is a website called FindYourSpot.com. Although it only addresses places in the states, it uses a quiz that makes you think about what is important to you. If you take this together (or each take it, then talk about it), you will get a better understanding of each other's priorities. If they aren't the same, or don't match what you will probably find in Costa Rica, well, then you know what has to be hashed out.

good luck!

Julie