Hydro and Electric hook ups

Hasn't the contractor/developer arranged for these to be done? I would have thought that they provide the pertinent info?

They have told me that I am responsible for getting these hooked up in an account in my name. A friend of mine who purchased in the same development is under the impression that it will be done for us. I am just a bit confused.

As CRF said, your contractor should have taken care of this for you. That said, I would think that this would have been an issue from the very beginning of your involvement with the project. I mean, didn't you ask about this at the time of entering into a contract with your builder? Also, as has been pointed out on this forum many times, some of this depends on whether those services even exist close by the development. In other words, are you even sure that there is a water line nearby, and telephone, lights, cable, etc., nearby?

No worries here, I did all the homework. There is water, electricity, cable and such at the street already and there will be water in my development. My builder told me I would need to purchase my own water meter for my unit. I am just looking for info on how to get my services connected. Thanks for the replies.

I don't think this is something we can help with as it your developer should have arranged the phones lines. You may just have to go into the local ICE office to arrange hookup. Hopefully you do not need to apply for a phone line as this could take months or even years!

Phone lines are 'for life' and they cannot be sold. They are 'transferable' by adding the name of the purchaser along with your own which must be done with a lawyer, if and when a house or business is sold. They even note your next of kin who the line will go to....

We recently had to purchase a water meter as we now have 'city water on the farm and the cost was approx. $250. You will have to find who provides the service, AyA or a local water district and apply at their office.

Edited by costaricafinca

I don't think this is something we can help with as it your developer should have arranged the phones lines. You may just have to go into the local ICE office to arrange hookup. Hopefully you do not need to apply for a phone line as this could take months or even years!

Phone lines are 'for life' and they cannot be sold. They are 'transferable' by adding the name of the purchaser along with your own which must be done with a lawyer, if and when a house or business is sold. They even note your next of kin who the line will go to....

We recently had to purchase a water meter as we now have 'city water on the farm and the cost was approx. $250. You will have to find who provides the service, AyA or a local water district and apply at their office.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking. I just have to go to the office for the phone. AyA is the providor as far as I can determine for the water, but I need to have further conversations with my builder about it.

• 2 weeks later...

For a land line you need only a water bill and probably your passport. Residency is not required. Check with ICE as to whether anything else is needed though I doubt it. I just added a new line a couple of months ago with no issues.

Do this asap though as the wait for new land lines in CR can be years depending on where you are located.

Hint: Pay no attention whatsoever to whatever ICE tells you will be the expected install date.

TG

For a land line you need only a water bill and probably your passport. Residency is not required. Check with ICE as to whether anything else is needed though I doubt it. I just added a new line a couple of months ago with no issues.

Do this asap though as the wait for new land lines in CR can be years depending on where you are located.

Hint: Pay no attention whatsoever to whatever ICE tells you will be the expected install date.

TG

My Place will not be ready until sometime late this year. Should I start the process early to make sure it happens in a timly manner?

Well that would require a trip to ICE to find out if lines are even available and if so, when??

Here is a real issue! You really cannot believe what they tell you. If they say 1 year, then yes, get it ordered now, but make no plans to actually have it in a year! If they tell you 3 weeks, then your REALLY have an issue unless you just have them terminate it at the property and you run the lines later. If this is a condo under construction, that is probably not going to happen.

I am presuming you are going to be in Ocotal? I have no idea what is the wait. But for SURE go now and listen to what ICE has to say.

The last time (maybe three years ago!) I knew anyone ordering a line there, they were told 1 year, and as of last year, they still did not have it. However things change and maybe there are lines now! You must go get the latest skinny.

TG

Well that would require a trip to ICE to find out if lines are even available and if so, when??

Here is a real issue! You really cannot believe what they tell you. If they say 1 year, then yes, get it ordered now, but make no plans to actually have it in a year! If they tell you 3 weeks, then your REALLY have an issue unless you just have them terminate it at the property and you run the lines later. If this is a condo under construction, that is probably not going to happen.

I am presuming you are going to be in Ocotal? I have no idea what is the wait. But for SURE go now and listen to what ICE has to say.

The last time (maybe three years ago!) I knew anyone ordering a line there, they were told 1 year, and as of last year, they still did not have it. However things change and maybe there are lines now! You must go get the latest skinny.

TG

Thanks very much for the info. My condo is suppose to be complete soon, but I not expecting it to be until late this year or maybe even early next year. I will be travelling down later this summer to have a look. I will enquire with ICE when I get there.