Furnishing Condo in Ocotal

Hi, if there's anyone that furnished a condo in the Guanacaste area, which company did you use or did you source all of the items yourself and where? Can you get most household items at the Do-It Centre? Thank you.

Our experience with the Do-It -Center was only so-so. We were not furnishing a condo, just buying household stuff. they do have everything you can think of....but they are very expensive (imho) and I'm not impressed with the quality. I bought a plain old sponge mop (19.00 US!) it fell apart with the first use. Bought a better quality toilet seat than the one in our cabina. It was American Standard, and was fine. My husband bought a pair of work gloves which lasted about 3 hours working in the yard....and we declined to buy a pair of hand garden clippers at $29.00. Lesson here? Ticos don't use sponge mops..they use the oldfashioned rag mops like your grandma used. They don't wear garden gloves, and they use machetes for everything. So this doesn't answer your question about furnishing your condo...yes..they have everything you could probably need...but as they say "caveat emptor"....jp

The 'Do-It-Center' has now a much larger variety of items from even a few months ago., but their style is not necessarily your own.

I would say if you can head to Alyss and buy many of the things you need or think you do if you can transport your goods. There are new stores opening everyday it seems around Liberia and especially in the area near the airport.

Here is a link that may interest you. Artistica I would suggest that if possible visit their stores and see for yourself some of their deals. We purchased 2 loves seats from there when we first arrived here, and there was little choice. We had a small problem with the stitching on a cushion and there was no hesitation on repairing the item since they manufacture the furniture. We were so pleased with the comfort that when we sold the our home with the furnishings, we purchased another 2 identical love seats but in a different fabric. The prices cover a large range.

Ocotalcondocr: I live in Conchal and have helped many clients by pointing them in the right direction for furnishing. So you know, Room Deco is actually La Artistica! I just found this out from a friend of mine who is a designer who let me in on that secret. They are located in the Solarium Development (that huge 100 acre development across the street from the Liberia Airport). Why they are marketing the furniture store under a different name, I am not sure... However, it is indeed affiliated with La Artistica I was told. I thought that things looked familiar! Anyhow, I would check that out because I guarantee you the best prices will come from the stores that can sell in larger quantity and therefore for less. I actually can vouch for Artistica as I bought my newborn son's furniture as well as all of our office furniture for about $2,000. I had purchased in San Jose (this was several months ago) and the transportation fee was $300 from San Jose for all the furniture we bought. Gallo has a good selection of appliances, but personally I liked Importadora Monge in my area near Tamarindo. Buena suerte!

CRFinca: There are some good shops near my area (I just couldn't tell you in Cocos what kind of furniture stores there are). Also, there area a few shops that will actually build furniture for you if you don't like what you find....so I wasn't trying to forget about the smaller local shop or the possiblity of building custom furniture is there for about the same amount of money for existing...

I understand that there are many quality builder locally, but many people can't 'imagine' or just don't have the time to wait for custom made. It's the 'newer' stores that are now offering their wares' to the 'new kids on the block' and the prices reflect that they think they don't or can't check out prices or selection further afield.