Thank you, both, for the advice about how to drive in Costa Rica.

Would a driving school help with learning how to drive in Costa Rica?

:mellow:

Thank you, both, for the advice about how to drive in Costa Rica.

Would a driving school help with learning how to drive in Costa Rica?

??? Why would you need a driving school, if you already know how to drive?

??? Why would you need a driving school, if you already know how to drive?

I just assumed a driving school was needed because driving in Costa Rica seem so different to driving in America...from my observation. Of course, I could be wrong.

;)

If you are meek, I would taka a taxi or not. You could just ride with a few taxis here about 5pm in sj that will give you all you need to know.

A true defensive driving school which includes work on a skidpad and/or racetrack will help you drive anywhere. Just sitting in a class will probably not.

I have had the good fortune of attending basic, advanced and racing schools for motorcycles. I feel that each one of them helped me become much more aware of the dangers around me and have made me both a better rider and driver.

If you are meek, I would taka a taxi or not. You could just ride with a few taxis here about 5pm in sj that will give you all you need to know.

Sabo is correct, taking taxi's everywhere you go in San Jose is the only way to do it. the cost of taxi ing everywhere is just about the same as the daily car rental plus gas. and you get to sit in the back seat. Driving outside of San Jose, in the country or to the beaches is exactly as I described it in my post. Just pay attention to what you are doing, drive slowly,and NEVER at night.

A true defensive driving school which includes work on a skidpad and/or racetrack will help you drive anywhere. Just sitting in a class will probably not.

I have had the good fortune of attending basic, advanced and racing schools for motorcycles. I feel that each one of them helped me become much more aware of the dangers around me and have made me both a better rider and driver.

A driving school that teaches people to drive defensively...a great idea. Taking taxis and buses where available in Costa Rica is also a great option.

With enough defensive driving classes and many hours on the road, one should be able to drive at night, eventually.

A driving school that teaches people to drive defensively...a great idea. Taking taxis and buses where available in Costa Rica is also a great option.

With enough defensive driving classes and many hours on the road, one should be able to drive at night, eventually.

the problem at night..specifically out in the country is that there are no street lights! and it is very very very dark. Without guard rails on roads and with cattle wandering off and on the road as well as the occasional drunk driver, and oh...did I mention driving rain that your wipers can't keep up with? as well as no road signs ?No...STAY OFF THE ROADS AT NIGHT.

the problem at night..specifically out in the country is that there are no street lights! and it is very very very dark. Without guard rails on roads and with cattle wandering off and on the road as well as the occasional drunk driver, and oh...did I mention driving rain that your wipers can't keep up with? as well as no road signs ?No...STAY OFF THE ROADS AT NIGHT.

I won't drive at night, ever...I promise.

:o

Laura, your worry should be more about learning the language. If you can drive in the states, you can drive anywhere. But, to know the "rules of the road" in CR, you need to know the language. And, even after many trips, over the last nine + years, and even though I speak good Spanish, I have no intention of driving at night, more than a very few miles, in our immediate neighborhood (and, neighborhood is the wrong word, since we won't be living in the city; but, I mean the area very close to our place, say no more than about five miles in either direction).

In San Jose, unless you've driven successfully in Mexico, I'd say to stay with the taxis and buses.

Laura, your worry should be more about learning the language. If you can drive in the states, you can drive anywhere. But, to know the "rules of the road" in CR, you need to know the language. And, even after many trips, over the last nine + years, and even though I speak good Spanish, I have no intention of driving at night, more than a very few miles, in our immediate neighborhood (and, neighborhood is the wrong word, since we won't be living in the city; but, I mean the area very close to our place, say no more than about five miles in either direction).

In San Jose, unless you've driven successfully in Mexico, I'd say to stay with the taxis and buses.

I am learning the language right now. Just a beginner at this time.

Driving in the USA and Canada is no problem for me.

Sounds as though learning to drive well at night is almost impossible.

I've never driven in Mexico. Taxes and buses in San Jose sounds like a great idea.

Thank you for your advice.

:huh:

Edited by Laura K

now, don't misunderstand us, Laura. Driving at night is not a matter of being able to drive - good, bad, or indifferent. It is - as Jean told you - simply that there are no street lights, and since the roads are so bad, and since there is no traffic cop, or wrecker, or emergency service, driving at night is simply too risky for anybody. (you also might need to know that us old folks don't see that well at night, anyway, so this becomes an issue for us, in general).

I drive at night but go places I know, out to diner, ect. Also lot of times we fish until after dark but I have driven that road 100+ times. I think you have gotten a lot of good advice.

now, don't misunderstand us, Laura. Driving at night is not a matter of being able to drive - good, bad, or indifferent. It is - as Jean told you - simply that there are no street lights, and since the roads are so bad, and since there is no traffic cop, or wrecker, or emergency service, driving at night is simply too risky for anybody. (you also might need to know that us old folks don't see that well at night, anyway, so this becomes an issue for us, in general).

In the country, ar night, everyone walks on the roads - dressed in the basic black clothing! Also bicycles/cars/motorcycles with no tale lights, animals in the middle of the road. If you don't know the road (sometimes even if you do) DON 'T drive at night!!!!!!!!!!