For those of you who drive in Costa Rica, was it hard for you to learn the rules of the road?

How did you learn the rules of the road?

If you learned the rules of the road without getting a traffic ticket, more power to you.

:unsure:

The "rules" of the road are pretty much the same as in most of the United States. For example, you may usually make a right turn on red after stopping completely. You may come to an intersection where there is a stop sign and a red light. We stop no matter what, although we see Ticos following the light only..of course, drive on the right side of the road. When approaching a narrow bridge in the country side if you see a sign that says Ceda el Paso..that means you should yield to oncoming traffic on the bridge. and vice versa, if there is no sign..and there is a sign on the other side of the bridge, it means you have the right of way. The most important rule of the road is to drive DEFENSIVELY. If you are the driver, do not sight-see. If you see a pile of brush/branches/leaves in the road, slow down, it means there is an accident ahead. Pay attention to oncoming traffic, if they blink their lights...there are cops or an accident ahead. Just drive slowly. jp

don't forget the little "hand twitch" - if a driver has his hand out the window and flicks his wrist up (even very subtly), make way! He is pulling into that lane, come heck or high water.

FYI - I was with an hispanic driver in California when he did this, and I asked him about it - he said that it seemed friendlier than the blinker...

... the rules of the road?

To use a line from Pirates of the Caribbean..... "they're more like guidelines...."

I actually find it more relaxing to drive in Costa Rica (outside of San Jose area) than in the U.S. Everyone travels at a similar pace, passes whenever, and you don't wonder which are the road-rage drivers.... I've seen some irritated by pokey drivers but never in the battering ram mindset of many California and Texas drivers...

CD

To use a line from Pirates of the Caribbean..... "they're more like guidelines...."

I actually find it more relaxing to drive in Costa Rica (outside of San Jose area) than in the U.S. Everyone travels at a similar pace, passes whenever, and you don't wonder which are the road-rage drivers.... I've seen some irritated by pokey drivers but never in the battering ram mindset of many California and Texas drivers...

CD

It's good to know that driving in Costa Rica can be relaxing.

I'm glad that road rage drivers are easily identifiable in Costa Rica.

Edited by Laura K