Last summer, when we visited Costa Rica (Playa Tamarinido), my daughter (now 17) loved this unrefrigerated milk that tastes really sweet. It's in a carton.

What's brand(s) is the milk?

Is it available in the USA?

I live in Henderson, Nevada.

:unsure:

All milk in CR is packaged in the carton, regardless of the brand, and kept (in the stores) at room temperature, due to the 'good-old-days' when there was little or no refrigeration in CR. It has been specially homogenize/pasteurized/prepared so as to withstand a lack of refrigeration. As far as I know such packaging simply is not available in the states, simply because we take it for granted that refrigeration is available. You might be able to find canned whole milk, maybe by Borden's in some places, but I really doubt it.

The 'normal' refrigerated milk is also available here in larger containers, similar to North America. The 'boxed' type milk is sold all over Central America and the Caribbean.

I think they sell a similar milk in Canada but can't say for sure so it may be available in the US but produced by another supplier.

The 'normal' refrigerated milk is also available here in larger containers, similar to North America. The 'boxed' type milk is sold all over Central America and the Caribbean.

I think they sell a similar milk in Canada but can't say for sure so it may be available in the US but produced by another supplier.

The company that produces boxed milk is Parmalat. It is an Italian company and their products are available world wide. (check with your grocer) I had posted an earlier reply which was incorrect......

Last summer, when we visited Costa Rica (Playa Tamarinido), my daughter (now 17) loved this unrefrigerated milk that tastes really sweet. It's in a carton.

:unsure:

If I were you I would ask my local grocery manager if it is available. Maybe he can order it if it isn't carried in the store. I know I have seen shelf stable milk in Seattle but I'm not about to go back there so I'll never know for sure. lol

The local brand here is Dos Pinos. I know they export their ice cream to various countries but not the U.S. (according to the guy who works in the pulperia next door to my house), so it's doubtful they would sent their shelf-stable milk there.

Good luck.

Edited by Shea

[

Go to Albertsons or Smiths they both carry long shelf life milk. In Albertsons its in the secton where the condensed milk and evaporated milk is... Its all over now, but Americans are funny about things that need to be refrigerated...ie... here as well as all of Europe no one refrigerates eggs.. I lived my entire life in Vegas and noticed the milk last trip iin December... I will look again in March if you would like... R

If I were you I would ask my local grocery manager if it is available. Maybe he can order it if it isn't carried in the store. I know I have seen shelf stable milk in Seattle but I'm not about to go back there so I'll never know for sure. lol

The local brand here is Dos Pinos. I know they export their ice cream to various countries but not the U.S. (according to the guy who works in the pulperia next door to my house), so it's doubtful they would sent their shelf-stable milk there.

Good luck.

Dear Shea,

Thanks for the suggestion.

If there is no milk in a carton, we'll have to drink the condensed milk until we visit Costa Rica this summer.

Sincerely,

Laura K

Dear Adriennesgrandma,

I'll check Smith's or Albertson's for the milk in the carton.

If it's not there, there's always Costa Rica.

Sincerely,

Laura K

[

Go to Albertsons or Smiths they both carry long shelf life milk. In Albertsons its in the secton where the condensed milk and evaporated milk is... Its all over now, but Americans are funny about things that need to be refrigerated...ie... here as well as all of Europe no one refrigerates eggs.. I lived my entire life in Vegas and noticed the milk last trip iin December... I will look again in March if you would like... R

Dear Endrick,

I checked out the Dean Foods website.

I'm not sure if they manufacture unrefrigerated milk in cartons.

It is a nice website. Never know about Dean Foods until now.

Sincerely,

Laura Kimmick

Henderson, Nevada

Dean Foods should carry a pasteurized and shelf stable milk from Model dairy

In Miami I buy Parmalat in most major foodstores. Here there are two brands Dos Pinos and Coronado.

Keep in mind the "sweet" taste you refer to might the descremada or Lactose free one.

Dear MiamiDavid,

Thanks for the information about the milk.

Until we get to Costa Rica in June, we'll have to settle for any brand of condensed milk.

Didn't realize that Lactose Free milk could be so sweet.

Sincerely,

Laura K

In Miami I buy Parmalat in most major foodstores. Here there are two brands Dos Pinos and Coronado.

Keep in mind the "sweet" taste you refer to might the descremada or Lactose free one.

What about checking the local mexican markets in your area? In california I have seens tons of the latin brands at the little mini markets.

I will go to a Mexican market again. When I do go again, I'll get whatever brand(s) of unrefrigerated milk that is available. I have a feeling whatever is available at the Mexican markets will taste good.

Dear MiamiDavid,

Thanks for the information about the milk.

Until we get to Costa Rica in June, we'll have to settle for any brand of condensed milk.

Didn't realize that Lactose Free milk could be so sweet.

Sincerely,

Laura K

I'm not sure but it's possible that when they remove the fat from the descremada milk they add sugar. That is what is normally done in the food industry to replace fat in any low-fat foods. Be sure to read the label. Of course, if you are buying a non-U.S. brand they might not be required to list sugar as an ingredient. Not sure about that.

As for condensed milk, it's loaded with sugar. (I'm not referring to evaporated canned milk, only the condensed.)