New property tax by the beach?

What do you guys believe will happen to the real estate market in the beach areas if the new tax law passes? Will local home and business owners be forced to sell their land and have it taken over by big corporations?

Yes, just like it has been happening all along the coasts of the USA for the past 20 years or so.

The question is whether or not it will happen and to what extent. I have a hard time believing that the country of Costa Rica will not protect its own. I myself live in Malpais, there are many wealthy Tico homeowners and the place is quiet and peaceful, while in Santa Teresa and Playa Carmen many Costa Rican cabina owners are just used to running a mediocre business profitable enough to make it thru the rainy season when tourism is at a standstill.

What I hope will happen is a lot of partnerships being started where Costa Ricans and Americans equally own well run businesses run responsibly, not destroying the land but finding a way to be profitable and accomodate the growing number of tourists wanting to surf (which is about the main reason to come here), visit Cabo Blanco, go canopy touring etc.

Have any of you got some information on where we are at with the decision on the proposal?