• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==

TicoGrande    0

For some time now I have wanted to add RSS feeds to these forums as I am sure many people would find them useful.

What are they? RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication and basically they allow you to read the newest content from a variety of web sites all at the same time without the need to actually visit and login to each site.

RSS readers come from people like Google and many other companies. They are totally free services to use. Some are totally online like Google or Yahoo while others ask that you download the reader. Some folks think of it as an customized online newspaper and that is a great description. It can save you a lot of time. I know for my BLOGs, several thousand people read it from their newsreader first.

With so many places to check every day, RSS is a real time saver. One stop for all! Using RSS, you can review the new content from unlimited web sites, BLOGs, forums etc in one location. The information is updated at regular intervals, usually several times per day.

DO a Google search for RSS Readers and you will find a ton of options.

RSS

rss.png <- Many of you have seen this symbol on many different web sites. Perhaps you knew that it represents the internationally agree upon symbol for an RSS feed.

Starting today, you will see that rss.png symbol at the bottom left of every page in these forums.

If you click it, it becomes a drop-down box giving you a choice of RSS feeds for almost all of our Forums. A few are not included, but the last choice is a Combined Feed that contains all the forums. Warning, that feed is LONG and is not organized by Forum, but by latest post date, so it is not for everyone.

Now you chose the forum you wish and just click. A new page will open up.

Those of you using Firefox as your browser will see the 8 most current Posts to whichever forum you chose and the content of those Posts - completely formatted and looking pretty!

However...

Those of you using Microsoft Internet Explorer probably will not. Instead you will see something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
- <rss version="2.0">
- <channel>
<title>Becoming a Resident of Costa Rica</title>
<description>Forum about obtaining legal residency in Costa Rica</description>
<link>http://forums.arcr.net/index.php</link>
<pubDate>Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:27:06 -0600</pubDate>
<ttl>1</ttl>
- <item>

Do not panic! All is OK!

This is a raw RSS feed and can only be read by one of the readers mentioned above. You just need to copy and paste this pages URL (web address) to a reader and it will appear beautifully!

The web URL will look like this: "http://forums.arcr.net/index.php?act=rssout&id=2" and appears in the address box at the top of your bowser. In fact that example is the actual RSS feed for the Residency in Costa Rica Forum. They are all almost alike.

Note that only the eight most recent posts are displayed for any forum. Replies are not shown, so if you wish to see the responses, read the entire thread (post) or reply, you still must login to do so.

Forum visitors (non members) can now see a bit more as before, they had to register to read anything in a forum except the Post topic

I will make some attempt to answer general questions here but understand that I CAN NOT help you to use a reader or make recommendations at to which reader is best.

However I encourage knowledgeable Members to assist those not so RSS savvy.

Enjoy!

PS This is a new thing, and while I have tested it, I am fully capable of screwing something up! Post here if you see one of my screw-ups!

All RSS feeds update every 30 minutes!

TG

Epicatt2    0

Update: Google doesn't offer an rss reader anymore. :(

Hello Lxndr. Welcome to the ARCR Forums. There are many helpful members here who should be able to answer your questions. There is also a lot of good information archived in earlier Forums posts which may answer your questions. I'd recommend concentrating on those message posts made within the last two years for the best relevance.

While Google may not be offering an RSS reader any longer, it should still be able to use Google to do a search for RSS Readers and you should have a lot of reader options pop up.

To see what there might be I just did a search on Google using these three keywords: 'RSS Readers online', and got a bunch of useful hits. BTW, the first hit on the list was:

Google Reader Is Shutting Down; Here Are the Best Alternatives

There were plenty of other hits that looked promising for helping someone decide on a replacement online RSS Reader that will serve their needs.

Try those three keywords above and check it out.

HTH

Paul M.

==

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.