New object bigger than the sun in our solar system!

Where's the link ? I'm a comet watcher and this is BIG news ! Couldn't find anything....

I witnessed the Carmacks Lake Bolide Meteor as it passed over Juneau -- totally illuminating the sky as it shed layers, bright like it was daytime. It's hard to describe, but an experience like that changes a person. It could have been the end of our climate, if only a little larger. I'll remember the experience for life....

Nikki

This new object that exploded last week is now officially the largest item in our solar system even larger than our own sun!

I thought that you were talking about your logo at the bottom of your posts. :blink::P

I guess anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Here I thought I was pushing the limit, now I don't feel so bad.

Edited by Kahuna

THANK YOU so much for the notice, I can't believe I missed the news. Went out with a spotting scope and totally enjoyed the 'steam explosion' the size of our sun. So easy to find too ! Called all my friends and had and wonderful astronomy outing.

Amazingly, you caught me on the ONLY clear night we've had for some time, or since. One night viewing and that was all.

Such a score !!!

A a very enthusiastic sky-watcher you sincerely have my thanks !

THANK YOU so much for the notice, I can't believe I missed the news. Went out with a spotting scope and totally enjoyed the 'steam explosion' the size of our sun. So easy to find too ! Called all my friends and had and wonderful astronomy outing.

Amazingly, you caught me on the ONLY clear night we've had for some time, or since. One night viewing and that was all.

Such a score !!!

A a very enthusiastic sky-watcher you sincerely have my thanks !

I am so glad to have made your day. It is amazing isnt it? Something that wont probably ever happen again in our lifetime thats for sure.

• 2 months later...
Not sure if you are aware but right now comet Holmes is now 8X larger than the sun and the mainstream media isnt reporting much on the subject strangely enough.

Hello All,

As far as the mainstream media is concerned Comet Holmes is by now old news and, as nothing about it has changed dramatically, there is 'nothing newsworthy' for them to capitalize on.

For those of you interested, here are several links to Comet Holmes with information about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17P/Holmes

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/10...-holmes-update/

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launchPage.h...bya_320x240.jpg

The third link includes a video of an interview with Jack Horkheimer of the SpaceTransit Planetarium in Miami explaining the comet and its recent activity in the heavens. As always, Horkheimer presents things in a very understandable way.

Hope this offers some useful into about the comet.

BTW, if you are in a bright city area you may have a difficult time seeing the comet very well with the naked eye, if at all. I suspect that in the darker areas that can be gotten to in Costa Rica one might get a better look, but better hurry... Comet Holmes is now moving away from us again and won't be back for another 6.5 years.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Edited by Epicatt2