Needless to say, my first name is Laura and my last name is Kimmick. Thus, Laura K.

How did you come up with your name?

:rolleyes:

Lucky for you. I tried Ken, the usual name I go by, it was taken, so I had to slap another n on it. I guess, grammatically, Kenn is as logical as Ken (since both would theoretically be short for Kenneth), and don't know why I'm bothered, but I kind of am.

I gave some thought to switching to my middle name in CR, Earl, my dad's name, in part because I believe it's more sensible for Spanish-speakers and in part because because I'm beyond thinking of Earl as a funny name (and like my dad). However, two things stopped me. One is that I quickly learned that if I say "Barbie y Ken" the Spanish-speakers do know Ken. Mattel is global, so even though the short e doesn't exist in Spanish most know it when linked to Barbie (although some say Cain, like the murderous brother in Genesis). I hate being associated with a global corporation, but it works. The other is that when I mentioned possibly changing my name to my daughter, she immediately said, "To what, Pablo?" Kids have no mercy. Somehow or another the kid picked up Spanish in the US and became something of an expert on Latin America. She thinks I'm an idiot, which I may well be.

Guys like Robert Zimmerman get to change their names. The rest of us deal with what's handed to us, no matter how many consonants are added or corporations we're associated with.

Or, now that I think of it, my kid may be getting back at me. Because the name her mother wanted for her is commonly mispronounced I suggested that we spell it phonetically. We did and it didn't help. People still mispronounce it. In fact, I've noticed that she tends to go by her middle name, which I chose from a Chilean friend. It's not Pabla, but not far off. Hmmm. My kid actually uses her Latina middle name. Maybe I should use my English Earl (that works in Spanish) and not be intimidated?

Cain,

I think you've answered you own question:

The easiest think to do to keep your own name it to link it with something that is recognizable -and pronouncable for the Ticos/Latinos. And 'Barbie & Ken' does the trick. And I am sure the Ticos recognnize you for who you are anyway, plus you have provided them with a way to remember how to pronounce it correctly. I'm also pretty sure that none of them dwell on 'B&K' afterwards, but just get on with things.

Cheers!

Pabblow

==

Paablough,

Actually, if you drank where I sometimes do and tried the "Barbie & Ken" thing you too would get tired of the "let me be your Barbie" comeback. It's also amazing how many forget my name despite the mnemonic device. Something tells me that who I am as an individual doesn't matter much . . .

Salud!

Kane

... It's also amazing how many forget my name despite the mnemonic device.

Hello again Kenn,

Here's a device you might try...

A couple of years ago I was in CR at the time there was a little orchid exhibit in San José being put on by the national orchid group (the ACO). One of the new members was there to help with thing and he made a specific point of correcting the person introducing him, announcing that his name correctly was Juan Rolando.

It wasn't five minutes until someone in the area called across to him, calling him Juan. He ignored them completely and went on with whatever it was that he was doing at the time. After several calls to him with no response from him, the person suddenly 'remembered' his name and as soon as they called 'Juan Rolando' he responded, nice as could be.

Might work for you.

J2M¢

Paul M.

==

Hello again Kenn,

Here's a device you might try...

A couple of years ago I was in CR at the time there was a little orchid exhibit in San José being put on by the national orchid group (the ACO). One of the new members was there to help with thing and he made a specific point of correcting the person introducing him, announcing that his name correctly was Juan Rolando.

It wasn't five minutes until someone in the area called across to him, calling him Juan. He ignored them completely and went on with whatever it was that he was doing at the time. After several calls to him with no response from him, the person suddenly 'remembered' his name and as soon as they called 'Juan Rolando' he responded, nice as could be.

Might work for you.

J2M¢

Paul M.

==

Pavlo,

Ah, I'm not that finicky. Some people are, but I'm OK with "Hey You!" Mostly I was just having fun spelling your name. In my case, Kent cigarettes are also huge in Latin America, and they provide a non-Barbie link. However, the weird thing is that even good Tico friends can't resist adding the "t." I must confess though that I have lots of trouble with Spanish names. I'm accustomed to Tatiana anymore, but Yariel and Jairo are still hard. I resort to "Hey You!"

Quayne

Just like the old CB handles, huh? Believe it or not, even though I am one of the truly olde phartes, my online identity does NOT go back that far in time. It does, however go back to the early days of the internet, and BBs, and text-only browsing/emails. I had to come up with an identity back in 1992, with my first email account. At that time I was working as an investigator for a State Board of Medical Examiners (yes, it was Texas). That made me a "Doc Cop."

My initials are J.D. So, I put the two together: who I was and what I was. J.D. oc Cop.............that's my story, and I'm sticking to it....