The return trip: CR back to North America

Hello all:

My family and I are planning to relocate back to the USA after nearly a year here in Heredia. Just wondering if anyone else around here has completed the circuit (USA to CR to USA) in this way and, if so, if they can offer any good advice for shipping those household items that tend to accummulate after a year's worth of family living (i.e., sofas, desks, kids toys, beds, etc.). What I'd really like to know is if there's a cheap and efficient way to get it done. Thanks much,

-paco

Hello all:

My family and I are planning to relocate back to the USA after nearly a year here in Heredia. Just wondering if anyone else around here has completed the circuit (USA to CR to USA) in this way and, if so, if they can offer any good advice for shipping those household items that tend to accummulate after a year's worth of family living (i.e., sofas, desks, kids toys, beds, etc.). What I'd really like to know is if there's a cheap and efficient way to get it done. Thanks much,

-paco

I hope you won’t mind that I don’t have an answer for you- I have questions about Heredia. I am coming to CR for Nov-Dec and that is one area I was interested in. If you would not mind sharing, please feel free to email me personally.

My family and I are planning to relocate back to the USA after nearly a year here in Heredia. ... can [anyone] offer any good advice for shipping ... household items...[is] there.. a cheap and efficient way.

Hi Paco,

Many people have used and recommended this fellow noted below who has been in business shipping to and from Costa Rica for somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 years.

Here is his contact information:

Charles Zeller

Ship to Costa Rica

Tel 506-258-8747 Fax 506-258-7123

Toll free from USA and Canada 1-866-245-6923

Charles Zeller <shiptocostarica@racsa.co.cr>

Hope this is useful information for you.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Thanks Paul. I've actually heard of him and my wife contacted him via email. Unfortunately the quote he came back with for the surprisingly modest amount we'd like to ship is far more than we're prepared to pay. We won't be able to utilize his services at this time.

-paco

Edited by fva

...You don´t know how many people out there had their belongings lost or damaged due to poor service on the side of the shipping company.

...Or held ransom for 'extra costs' at the point of delivery.

Hi again Paco,

One thing about Charlie Zeller is that he honors his quote. This has been verified in posts over the years on this and other sites by various people who have used his services.

It might be useful to touch base with him once more to see maybe whether he might be able to help you figure out some ways to minimize the shipping costs you are facing.

I'll keep my fingers X-ed for you.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Ticoville: Thanks for your comments, I will certainly keep them in mind. We'd definitely prefer to go with someone known and trusted if possible.

Paul: The "held for ranson" angle is one I hadn't even thought of, so thanks for mentioning it. It's looking more and more like we're simply going to sell many of the furnishing we've accummulated (which don't amount to many) and pack the other stuff in boxes to take with us on the plane. I suppose the automatic benefit there is we also sidestep any taxes & duties.

-paco

... It's looking more and more like we're simply going to sell many of the furnishing we've accummulated ...and pack the other stuff in boxes to take with us on the plane.

Paco,

I don't know what your final destination in the US is but if you are near a port city and you are not in the huge hurry to get home you might be able to pack everything up and take it with you on a freighter, traveling as passengers on the same vessel.

I know it can be feasible to do so southbound after cargo such as bananas is offloaded, for instance here in Florida, and the vessel is returning empty to, say, Costa Rica. Then the captain may welcome some cargo rather than return empty.

Northbound may be possible but the ship may tend to be full already, but who knows... Might well depend upon how early one gets one's foot in the door -er, hold, as it were.

Just a thought...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Paco,

I don't know what your final destination in the US is but if you are near a port city and you are not in the huge hurry to get home you might be able to pack everything up and take it with you on a freighter, traveling as passengers on the same vessel.

I know it can be feasible to do so southbound after cargo such as bananas is offloaded, for instance here in Florida, and the vessel is returning empty to, say, Costa Rica. Then the captain may welcome some cargo rather than return empty.

Northbound may be possible but the ship may tend to be full already, but who knows... Might well depend upon how early one gets one's foot in the door -er, hold, as it were.

Just a thought...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

A novel idea Paul, thanks much. Unfortunately time is a factor with our return. In fact, as I'm learning, it's ALWAYS a factor when you have a couple 2.5 year olds around;-)

-paco

• 4 weeks later...
Evidentally you have twins. ??? Am i right. I am a mother of twins , they are 24 now, But i remember well when they were 2.5 yrs old. Busy Busy!!!

Right you are. They'll be 3 in January. To say they keep us busy is an understatement. These guys seem to have hit the ground running and have never looked back.

I always enjoying hearing from parents of mulitples whose kids are now over 18 years of age. It gives me hope:-)

-paco

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all:

-paco

Paco,

Some people I know used Mundanzas Mundiales to ship their household goods back to Wisconsin from Sto. Domingo. It took longer than expected but everything arrived in good condition. Personally, I would have a yard sale.

I hope you won’t mind that I don’t have an answer for you- I have questions about Heredia. I am coming to CR for Nov-Dec and that is one area I was interested in. If you would not mind sharing, please feel free to email me personally.

I currently live in Santa Ana but still own a house in Mercedes Norte in Heredia. I lived there for 6 years but I don't like the weather there, too cold and rainy for me. I much prefer the Valle del Sol in Santa Ana. Then there's the traffic problem...CONGESTION. Morning and evening rush hours are impossible. Getting to San Jose is a nightmare. Costa Rica has many micro-climates, you need to determine what climate is best for you. www.avalar.co.cr

Paco,

Some people I know used Mundanzas Mundiales to ship their household goods back to Wisconsin from Sto. Domingo. It took longer than expected but everything arrived in good condition. Personally, I would have a yard sale.

John,

Thanks for the tip. We actually went with the yard sale idea for the few big items we bought while in-country. It worked out well. I also was able to ship three large boxes via Aerocasillas (a CR to the States courier I had an account with and recommend highly) and our boys' beds (each 1x3 meters in size) via DHL all for under $1000 USD. Of course we still had eight large boxes we brought back via the plane ride, but that's another story. Our new mantra is "less stuff."

-paco

• 7 months later...

Paco,

We moved from Florida to CR for 1 year near Jaco, and just back to California in April. Be careful...all of our favorite possessions are stuck there with a supposed shipper that I found on this forum that is american. He has lied, misquoted, and still has our stuff. I know that a container is $4000 flat. Where are you guys moving? If near California. ...would you be interested in splitting a container? I am disgusted at how badly I was lied too by this guy, so be careful with who you deal with out there.

Thanks, KK

Hello all:

-paco