• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Franklin

To Ship or Buy a Car in Costa

18 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I would like to hear any comments on whether to ship a car or buy a car in Costa Rica. I'm contemplating to buy a used 3 year old Toyota, Land Cruiser. BTW, I live in the Souht Bay, in California.

Thank you,

Franklin

This issue is being hotly discussed on another thread at the very moment. The gist of that thread is that you should really spend some time in CR before you decide whether or not you even need to have a car. From most of what I have heard and read, I would suggest that you not even think about importing any vehicle to CR, however. If you must have one, wait, and buy it there. (Reason #1: import duties, registration, transport cost = serious money)

good morning Franklin -

if you follow this link = http://www.la-tigra.com/autos.html then go about half way down the page, you will see link to "hacienda" and if you read carefully how to use the information you will know exactly what it would cost to bring that vehicle

Edited by BobC

This issue is being hotly discussed on another thread at the very moment. The gist of that thread is that you should really spend some time in CR before you decide whether or not you even need to have a car. From most of what I have heard and read, I would suggest that you not even think about importing any vehicle to CR, however. If you must have one, wait, and buy it there. (Reason #1: import duties, registration, transport cost = serious money)

Thanks Jdocop.

Franklin

good morning Franklin -

if you follow this link = http://www.la-tigra.com/autos.html then go about half way down the page, you will see link to "hacienda" and if you read carefully how to use the information you will know exactly what it would cost to bring that vehicle

Thanks BobC.

Franklin

I was told that it is cheaper to buy a car in Costa Rica than in the United States and similar countries. I don't have any personal experience on the matter.

Personally, I always buy very cheap cars, and it would cost more to ship the car than to buy the car.

I was told that it is cheaper to buy a car in Costa Rica than in the United States and similar countries. I don't have any personal experience on the matter.

Personally, I always buy very cheap cars, and it would cost more to ship the car than to buy the car.

Bob C is so right on... YOu have been lied to. I bought a brand new 2006 suv here and paid probably about 25 to 30% more than I would have in the states... Had I known then what I know now I would have shipped my truck here...

Thanks for the information. Now I know the truth.

Personally, for someone like me it doesn't matter. The last car I bought cost me $800. The price difference would be less than the cost to ship it.

Thanks for the information. Now I know the truth.

Personally, for someone like me it doesn't matter. The last car I bought cost me $800. The price difference would be less than the cost to ship it.

$800 for shipping, yes, but what about the duties and the taxes?

This is new information for me. My understanding is that you are paying the 25-30% duties/taxes on the car weather you buy it here or bring it in yourself.

I don't see the difference. If you have to pay 30% duty/taxes on the car you are bringing in yourself or 30% duty/taxes on the car you buy here, why bother?

Thanks for the NEW information. The board has been a little stale lately.

Bob, I was not able to get your calculator to work for the brand of car that I own. :(

your new car is most likely not yet in the system - seems to take over a year for entry data to be viable

here is tax base - FYI, it's quite a bit more than 30% -

the "domestic tax" for vehicles coming into Costa Rica is based on "black book" value -

52.29% x importation valor for model years 2003 through 2007

63.91% x importation valor for model years 2001 and 2002

79.03% x importation valor for model years 2000 and older

I think what Scott is saying is that he paid $800 for a car in the states. What he doesn't yet grasp is that CR will place a value on that car that is determined solely by them, and it makes no difference what he actually paid. If they say the car has a value (in CR) of $2,000.00, then that is what he will pay that exorbitant tax on (79.03% of $2,000.00 equals just a wee bit more than he paid for it, now don't it? - like, nearly $1600.00 in import tax, for an (alleged) $800.00 car!) And, Scott, that doesn't take into account what it will cost you to ship the car, nor what it will cost to register it in CR!

$800 for shipping, yes, but what about the duties and the taxes?

No, I'm not saying the shipping cost me $800. The car itself cost me $800. What I'm saying is that the shipping cost would be so much in comparison to the price of the car, that it would make sense to just buy a new one at a higher price in Costa Rica.

Thanks Scott,

Franklin

Thanks Scott,

Franklin

The other members pointed out that I was mistaken. You probably want to listen to them. I've never bought a car in Costa Rica.