i am very pleased to find the arcr forum.. it is very educational and provides information that i can't seem to find any where else. i will be visiting costa rica for the first time over the christmas holidays and simi retireing in this beautiful country the latter part of next year. some where in the many web sights i have visited. the tico times. ect. i read that if a person traveling to costa rica had used clothing for donation to the poor there was a donation site at the airport. does anyone if this is correct and are there any special procedures ie customs ect.. thank you very much.

I am glad to see such an offer from a newcomer, but cannot vouch for the quality of the management for donations at the airport. ARCR has its own charity committee that can direct you to recipient organizations we are familiar with and that we know where the goods go. (Such as the local Salvation Army, CFCA, Womens Club, etc.) If you plan on visiting us, and can bring things with you, then we would be happy to help you find a home for your donation.

• 4 years later...
I am glad to see such an offer from a newcomer, but cannot vouch for the quality of the management for donations at the airport. ARCR has its own charity committee that can direct you to recipient organizations we are familiar with and that we know where the goods go. (Such as the local Salvation Army, CFCA, Womens Club, etc.) If you plan on visiting us, and can bring things with you, then we would be happy to help you find a home for your donation.

This is an old comment, so I wonder what one does today with used clothing in good condition. I would like to donate many clothes and shoes that I brought with me from the US that I will never use here in Costa Rica. Where can I take it?

Nancy Bailey

You can take any items to any of the many churches. But, remember that many items of clothing may not be suitable here.

Folks, please note that soccer shoes would be appreciated from the kids who play the sport as well.

Donate your stuff to the Cruz Roja!! I've put clothes on the bus to donate. I've aqlso deposited money in the account of the ruz Roja. During the last floods in Guanacaste, I took the Cruz Roja members to Mega Super, bought groceries, and they loaded up the ambulances with the goodies!!