Gregor

Choosing Paint

Well...I am finally getting around to building my condo in Costa Rica. Since I am not familiar with the paint product Sur or Protecto. I was wondering if anyone out there has had experiance with each and would appreciate some advice on which product works better on inside and outside block wall.

Thanks,

Greg

I have built condos and homes and remodeled existing housing in Costa Rica since 1992. In the course of conducting my construction business I have purchased and installed hundreds of gallons of paint manufactured by SUR, Protecto, Glidden, Lanco and GreColor. When considering the quality and price of paint you also need to calculate the labor to prepare the surfaces and apply the paint. If you use a quality product and have experienced painters the you should be able to finish the work and not have to re-paint for a good many years. If you use inferior products and have problems with the paint or the surface was not properly prepared prior to applying the paint the work will need to be re-done. Keep in mind that when working with a improperly prepared surface or poor quality paint you will need to scrape and sand off the first application then re-prep the surface properly before you can expect a good finished product. So if your job needs to be done a second time you are looking at the initial labor, then the labor to remove the initial application and then the labor to re-prep and paint the second time. With painting it is advisable to buy the best quality materials and use experienced labor with references. If I were painting my own house I would purchase the best quality of SUR and have the colors mixed all at the same time by a reputable retailer like El Lagar who will stand behind their products. Always order at least a gallon extra because most jobs run short and you will need extra for touch up after you move in.

If I were painting my own house I would purchase the best quality of SUR and have the colors mixed all at the same time by a reputable retailer like El Lagar who will stand behind their products.

ticotomasino,

Tell us about indoor surfaces compared to outdoor surfaces...what have you found best for interior: painted block, painted drywall, or colored plaster?

For the outdoor surfaces, is the preparation different, such as using a moisture barrier type of primer coat? Then followed by custom mix of SUR?

Also...where is El Lagar located? Thanks!

GreciaBound

Just a tid bit,

you may already know this - but just in case... When ticos refer to "coats" of paint on a wall, they use the term "hands". For example; The wall will need 3 hands of paint. B)

COATS OF PAINT = "MANOS DE PINTURA"

I will offer some cultural insights pertaining to Latino construction standards that will be helpful for you to understand.

1. A common Latino standard is that paint is a concentrate and should be diluted to create more paint. Wrong. The dilutants, "diluyentes" including a product known as "agua res", which consists of nasty chemicals that turn white paint yellow as well as dilute the quality of the paint, should be avoided.

2. Another typical standard is that if you will not see a primer product then why purchase the more expensive, higher quality product. Therefore the primer, "sellador" should be the cheapest product available. Wrong. The cheaper paint is manufactured to lower standards, is not as thick and will not adhere as well or last as long.

The paint manufacturers here offer interior and exterior grade paints. The same 2 or 3 coat application process works for both. The primer paint, "sellador" they sell is an inferior quality of paint. I use the same high quality SUR paint for the 1st, prime coat and the 2nd, finish coat and if needed a 3rd coat. On the exterior walls of concrete or exterior siding I apply SUR GOLTEX (100% acrylic with fungus protection) and on the interior drywall on stud walls I apply SUR ACRILATEX (100% acrylic latex with fungus protection). Interior concrete walls I treat the same as exterior walls and apply the SUR GOLTEX. On the wood or masonite type doors and trim I apply SUR ESMALTE (oil base) UNIVERSAL. If I have potential humidity issues then I apply the more expensive waterproofing "Impermeabilizante", SUR, FASTYL which is designed for metal, clay and fiber roofing as well as concrete roofs and exterior walls. They also sell SUR PEGA PATCH crack filler for use with the SUR products. You apply the elastic crack filler product into the cracks with a putty knife, then wait 24 hours for the curing process and then lightly sand the material prior to painting. LANCO offers a wide range of crack filler "siliconizer" "products that are available in small containers to be applied with a putty knife or in tubes to be applied with a caulk gun. The LANCO paints are acceptable but have not been manufactured here in Costa Rica for as long as SUR. The building supply company, El Lagar stands behind both products equally. Remember the SUR products have been made in Costa Rica for many years and are guaranteed by the largest manufacturer of paint in the country.

Keep in mind that is the 1st thing you and everybody else sees is the front of your project. Curb appeal is very important. If you look at houses on which the exterior walls appear faded and you can see cracks, more than likely they did not use quality products or knowledgeable tradesmen. Imagine what is involved with removing the old inferior products, re-preping the surfaces and then applying the new coats of paint. I have learned after working in CR for over 15 years to use quality products and do it right the 1st time thereby saving myself and the homeowner the headache of call backs. Most Latino contractors do not understand the concept of guaranteed work and you will more than likely not receive a call back in the event of a problem. You will need to find someone else to fix the problem and pay them accordingly or if you're really desperate, pay the original contractor to re-do his inferior work again. If you select a builder with whom you can communicate and someone who understands the manner in which you're accustomed to living, chances are you won't be inconvenienced by the inconveniences that happen here in paradise.

ticotomasino,

Thanks for the useful information about painting inside and outside, especially the types of fungus and waterproofing protection. The idea about the elastic crack filler is especially helpful. Doing it right the first time can balance out extra money spent on quality paints.

Where is El Lagar located?

GreciaBound

The El Lagar Building Supply Outlets in the last year have offered me the best prices and they have the following locations throughout Costa Rica. I recommend this company as they stand behind what they sell and they are happy to take returns and refund the money for unused materials.

1- Lagar Desamparados tel. 217-9400

2- Detalles y Acabados Villarreal tel. 271-9552

3- Lagar el Cruce tel. 219-1111

4-Lagar San Francisco de dos rios tel. 226-1111

5-Lagar Moravia tel. 245-6959

6- Lagar el labrador san isidro de Heredia tel. 268-8382

7-Lagar Heredia tel. 441-1818

8- Lagar San Antonio de Belén tel. 293-2626

9- Lagar Pozos de Santa Ana tel. 282-8686

10- Lagar Santa Ana tel. 282-4451

11- Lagar Orotina tel. 428-9000

12- Lagar Barranca tel.663-7898

13- Lagar Jaco tel.643-3054

14- Lagar Liberia, tel.667-0667. 6kms south of the Liberia Airport on the main road to Santa Cruz.

Hi ticotomasino,

I just came across post about SUR poducts have you ever seen a poduct that is called wood or furniture glaze by SUR it is in a can that looks like a big can of shoe polish it is 1/4 of a gallon.( it looks more like a paste) my sister-in-law gave this to me to put on my unfinished doors you are supose to aply it with a cloth. I would like to know more about this poduct. Have you ever heard of it? Thank you missy

COATS OF PAINT = "MANOS DE PINTURA"

I will offer some cultural insights pertaining to Latino construction standards that will be helpful for you to understand.

1. A common Latino standard is that paint is a concentrate and should be diluted to create more paint. Wrong. The dilutants, "diluyentes" including a product known as "agua res", which consists of nasty chemicals that turn white paint yellow as well as dilute the quality of the paint, should be avoided.

2. Another typical standard is that if you will not see a primer product then why purchase the more expensive, higher quality product. Therefore the primer, "sellador" should be the cheapest product available. Wrong. The cheaper paint is manufactured to lower standards, is not as thick and will not adhere as well or last as long.

The paint manufacturers here offer interior and exterior grade paints. The same 2 or 3 coat application process works for both. The primer paint, "sellador" they sell is an inferior quality of paint. I use the same high quality SUR paint for the 1st, prime coat and the 2nd, finish coat and if needed a 3rd coat. On the exterior walls of concrete or exterior siding I apply SUR GOLTEX (100% acrylic with fungus protection) and on the interior drywall on stud walls I apply SUR ACRILATEX (100% acrylic latex with fungus protection). Interior concrete walls I treat the same as exterior walls and apply the SUR GOLTEX. On the wood or masonite type doors and trim I apply SUR ESMALTE (oil base) UNIVERSAL. If I have potential humidity issues then I apply the more expensive waterproofing "Impermeabilizante", SUR, FASTYL which is designed for metal, clay and fiber roofing as well as concrete roofs and exterior walls. They also sell SUR PEGA PATCH crack filler for use with the SUR products. You apply the elastic crack filler product into the cracks with a putty knife, then wait 24 hours for the curing process and then lightly sand the material prior to painting. LANCO offers a wide range of crack filler "siliconizer" "products that are available in small containers to be applied with a putty knife or in tubes to be applied with a caulk gun. The LANCO paints are acceptable but have not been manufactured here in Costa Rica for as long as SUR. The building supply company, El Lagar stands behind both products equally. Remember the SUR products have been made in Costa Rica for many years and are guaranteed by the largest manufacturer of paint in the country.

Keep in mind that is the 1st thing you and everybody else sees is the front of your project. Curb appeal is very important. If you look at houses on which the exterior walls appear faded and you can see cracks, more than likely they did not use quality products or knowledgeable tradesmen. Imagine what is involved with removing the old inferior products, re-preping the surfaces and then applying the new coats of paint. I have learned after working in CR for over 15 years to use quality products and do it right the 1st time thereby saving myself and the homeowner the headache of call backs. Most Latino contractors do not understand the concept of guaranteed work and you will more than likely not receive a call back in the event of a problem. You will need to find someone else to fix the problem and pay them accordingly or if you're really desperate, pay the original contractor to re-do his inferior work again. If you select a builder with whom you can communicate and someone who understands the manner in which you're accustomed to living, chances are you won't be inconvenienced by the inconveniences that happen here in paradise.